Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Celebrate Freedom!

Author Topic: TNT Titans  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Re: TNT Titans
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2018, 07:35:41 AM »
Yeah, this is a pretty odd thing. I don't know.

Also, is it just me or does their Starfire look like an African-American hooker with he dreadlock-ish hair and white fur coat?!?!   :blink:

It is most certainly not just you. That comment has been made by quite a few people online. Some people think that's an offensive comparison, but I don't think it is, I think it's just accurate.

I'm not even a big fan of Starfire and I'm still mildly irked at how much they've botched the character. She doesn't even look like she would act like Starfire, which is a big part of why I don't like it. DC has proven they can change up the ethnicity and still nail the character (Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman is a good example)
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
From the little they've shown, Starfire acts nothing like she does in the comics. This one seems more into cutting loose on anything and anyone, something the comic version would never do. Also, between the hooker clothes and the strike-out-at-all attitude, I don't see any of the "help-others"/touch of innocence that has always been a hallmark of the comic Starfire.

As for Robin, why is he hanging out in a warehouse trying to create "robin-rangs"?!? He should already know how a "a-rang" is made after his time with Bats. This whole thing is a mess...and that's from someone who enjoyed Tromeo and Juliet...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2018, 10:24:19 PM »
Yeah, this was worse than I expected.  And I expected it to be pretty bad.  It's like they were away the Titans can be pretty mature at times, but read "mature" as "as dark as possible."  Eh no.  We don't need the blood and swear and the doom and gloom.  You you guys aren't getting it at all.

And Starfire--yeesh.  I don't even care what ethnicity plays a orange skinned space alien, as long as she is an orange skinned space alien and acts like the character.  They managed to botch both of those things, it seemed.

Fortunately I watched the Young Justice: Outside trailer after this one and it made me feel all kinds of better.  At least SOMEONE knows how to do superheroes.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 03:29:40 PM »
Speaking of the Titans... Sounds like the real team (the 2000s cartoon, not this edgy garbage) is returning for a sixth season.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Speaking of the Titans... Sounds like the real team (the 2000s cartoon, not this edgy garbage) is returning for a sixth season.

Indeed. What a time to be alive.

In any case, I just read that apparently Geoff Johns has defended Titans' forced edginess by comparing it to the Marv Wolfman/George Perez Teen Titans run.  Curious if anyone here's got anything to say about it. I think it's a bit of a dopey comparison, it's a like bit like comparing Batman & Robin (the movie, of course, not the comic book) to the Adam West Batman tv show. In both cases, the tone, aesthetic, approach and "mission statement" as it were, do not appear similar, IMO.

I'm an unabashed fan of Johns, warts and all (and as a writer he does have some warts) but I am iffy on him making a statement like that because you gotta know you're gonna cheese off fans of the original Titans comics who are going to take umbrage with the comparison because of their fondness for the material.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2018, 03:55:42 PM »
Yeah, that's a complete cop out.  The New Titans was a mature series in its way, and it certainly had plenty of drama (perfect for a teen-aimed book), but it also had a cast of heroic characters who, despite their issues, acted like heroes.  It also had a sense of joy and wonder..  Robin certainly wasn't killing people, and the overall tone wasn't really all that dark, other than specific storylines (Terra).
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2018, 08:13:49 PM »
Tbf... Or rather not, for Geoff John's to be making any sort of defense of "lol over the top violence makes my stories mature" is perfectly in character for him, if nothing else. Don't get me wrong, the man can write, but Johns LOVES some gratuitous violence for his more "mature" stories like Infinite Crisis.

Me, I don't mind darker and more mature Titans stories. Hell, I'd *love* that type of series, and it can work well. But filling your content with random violence and curse words is the hallmark of immature content, not the reverse.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2018, 10:50:24 PM »
Yeah, that's a complete cop out.  The New Titans was a mature series in its way, and it certainly had plenty of drama (perfect for a teen-aimed book), but it also had a cast of heroic characters who, despite their issues, acted like heroes.  It also had a sense of joy and wonder..  Robin certainly wasn't killing people, and the overall tone wasn't really all that dark, other than specific storylines (Terra).

Nightwing and Starfire being shown in bed together was also considered racy for the time.

Tbf... Or rather not, for Geoff John's to be making any sort of defense of "lol over the top violence makes my stories mature" is perfectly in character for him, if nothing else. Don't get me wrong, the man can write, but Johns LOVES some gratuitous violence for his more "mature" stories like Infinite Crisis.

Me, I don't mind darker and more mature Titans stories. Hell, I'd *love* that type of series, and it can work well. But filling your content with random violence and curse words is the hallmark of immature content, not the reverse.

I'd say that's fair. Johns puts excessive violence in....I think....everything he's ever written for DC. At least everything I've read. He's making a Stargirl show though. That might be more "wholesome".
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 01:59:37 PM »
Ha, fair point SS, but racy is one thing, dark is something else.

Yep, very true, 'Mato.  Johns is one of the poster children of gratuitous violence in modern comics.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2018, 08:06:24 PM »
So. Has anyone bit the bullet and suffered this abomination yet? I ask because I'm waffling on how much I hate myself.

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2018, 03:05:29 PM »
Not exactly. But someone did put the whole "**** BATMAN!" scene up on Youtube. Case you don't want to be blinded by the sheer horribleness (and I don't blame you), Robin basically maims an entire gang and quite possibly kills some random f***er.  Because EDGY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1jhAEfFc0Y

Also, Batman is apparently a killer in this show. Just a FYI.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2018, 11:26:46 PM »
Yeah, I heard about that. The Batman being a killer and Robin possibly being a killer part. Not the Youtube part.

Snyder Batman?

In any case, yeah, I'll be seeing it at some point, but I don't know when. DC Universe streaming service isn't being picked up in Canada and the show's coming to Netflix in other territories. Last I checked, they haven't said when. Which I'm fine with for now, I have other (in some cases better) things to watch and do in the meantime.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2018, 02:21:05 PM »
Yeah.....Batman is a killer too, on top of all the other awfulness?  Nope.  I wish I could not watch it twice.  :P
God Bless

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »
No joke, I keep opening the page to watch it, but I can't bring myself to do it. It's such a betrayal of the source material.

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:29 PM »
So apparently this show has 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

why

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 02:59:33 PM »
Because people are morons.
God Bless

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 03:16:22 PM »
Apparently the general consensus is that it has a really rocky -- maybe even horrible -- start, but it gets better later on. Not sure if that's still worth an endorsement.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
So apparently this show has 81% on Rotten Tomatoes.

why

RUSSIAN BOTS!
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer