News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

ffx install question

Started by Red Fantom, January 13, 2015, 09:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Fantom

In the ffx install readme file,can someone explain the meaning of the fourth step (I am not sure if i got that right  :rolleyes : might have to do with the fact that english is not my native lang )which is specifically :4.) Open FFEdit and merge the .dat files with the ffx_ prefix to your existing .dat files. 
What do I do exactly?Which .dat files do I merge with ???
:gbthungry

joemama

Is this for  :ff: or  :ffvstr:?  I ask because the ffx installation is different for the two games

In general:

• you merge .dat files to combine your own custom content with the mod's custom content
  • all information on the two .dat files will be combined; in case of conflict the MERGE FROM .dat file will overwrite the MERGE TO .dat file
  • merge corresponding .dat files -- if there is an "ffx_characters.dat" file, you'd want to merge it with your own "characters.dat" file
  • always make backup copies of your .dat files BEFORE you merge them (simple copy/paste will do)

hoss20

I would assume that this is for  :ff:, as, at least the latest version of, FFX 3.3 for  :ffvstr: is contained as its own mod with its own dat files.

Red Fantom, did the instructions mention copying the dat files from the original game to another folder? It's been a long time since I used FFX for  :ff:, but I always remember it having a separate icon on the desktop for running it, which would mean that all of the data pertaining to FFX would be in another folder. I also know that those who created FFX were very conscious of not altering the original game, so they wouldn't want you to merge the FFX dat files with the dat files in the main game directory.

Now, to your original question, if we've helped you figure out what files to merge. My example uses FFEdit for  :ffvstr: and I don't recall if the TO and FROM selections appear in the same order.

• On the Options tab of FFEdit, click on Merge DATs
  • You will see a window named, "Select DAT file to write TO," where you will browse for the dat files that FFX will use in game
  • After selecting the first dat file, you will get a second window named, "Select DAT file to read FROM" where you will browse for the ffx_prefix dat files
  • After selecting the second dat file, you will, hopefully, see a window stating, "Success - DAT files merged OK"
  • As Joemama mentioned, be sure to merge corresponding dat files; i.e. ffx_characters.dat with characters.dat

Red Fantom

my question was for  :ffvstr: .Thanks a  bunch for the help guys,I think I get it now.  :thumbup:

joemama

Quote from: Red Fantom on January 14, 2015, 02:25:28 PM
my question was for  :ffvstr: .Thanks a  bunch for the help guys,I think I get it now.  :thumbup:
OK, cool....sorry, but my first post was slightly off: 

• as hoss mentioned, FFX has it's own directory for and .dat files  :ffvstr:.  This directory contains all the necessary files so you typically run the game from it (there should be shortcut on your desktop or in your program list)
  • Therefore, your merged .dats will need to be placed in the FFX3 directory.  If you followed my first post, you can just copy them FROM FFVTTR\DATA and paste them TO FFVTTR\FFX3
  • Alternately, you can merge FROM your FFVTTR/DATA directory TO your FFVTTR/FFX3 directory
  • in FFEdit, make sure your PRIMARY DATA PATH points to FFVTTR\FFX3 and your SECONDARY DATA PATH points to FFVTTR\DATA

Sorry for the confusion...hope this clears things up.

Red Fantom

basicly what confused me in the beggining was that I couldnt understand  :doh: what I had to merge with what, in the case that I didnt have any custom stuff to add to ffx3, while I was just starting.The response from you guys helped me enough so that I now get that I dont actually have to merge anything while I got no customs yet-into vanilla  :ffvstr: in order for ffx to be installed correctly (which at first confused me a bit, therefore my questions in the first case..)But in general I think I will come up with new questions(that I wont figure out though the manuals/forum discussions)in the scripting territory(or not) soon enough.Good think to have you ppl around