X-Men: The (Live-Action) Series: The Gifted

Started by Shogunn2517, January 26, 2015, 07:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/x-men-live-action-series-767143

Spoiler
With '24's' Many Coto and Evan Katz overseeing, and 'Star Trek 3's' Patrick McKay and JD Payne writing.

An X-Men TV series could be coming to Fox.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is having preliminary conversations to adapt the iconic Marvel comic series — and feature film franchise — as a live-action television series with 24 producers Evan Katz and Manny Coto involved. Fox's potential live-action series is being penned by Star Trek 3 writing duo Patrick McKay and JD Payne, sources tell THR, who will share a created by credit on the project with Katz and Coto. Katz and Coto will serve as showrunners. Fox declined comment on Katz, Coto, McKay and Payne's involvement.

Fox studio counterpart 20th Century Fox owns the rights to the film franchise (with seven features already released based on X-Men characters). While conversations to bring the franchise to the small screen are under way, sources indicate a deal is far from complete with Marvel — which owns the comic rights — still having to sign off on the deal. The comic book powerhouse is based at Disney, with ABC shows including Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter on the network and five upcoming straight-to-series programs in the works there. Marvel would have to sign off on the deal.

TV Insider first reported theX-Men news.

The potential X-Men series comes as Fox, under television group chairmen and CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman, noted that the network has also had conversations to revive The X-Files with Chris Carter as well as a limited run of Prison Break.

The network currently does not have plans for another run of 24 as a limited series, but has heard a pitch for a potential revival in 2016 — with our without star Kiefer Sutherland.

Tomato

Yeah... if Marvel has to sign off on it, I sincerly doubt this'll happen. Marvel's relationship with Fox is strained at best, and allowing them to create an X-men tv show would just create further competition with their existing properties.

Starman

Considering Marvel is ending Fantastic Four and has issued an editorial mandate not to create any more X-Men characters, all to avoid supporting Fox's movie properties, I can't see them signing off on a TV show. I guess there must be a chance, though, otherwise Fox wouldn't be going to all the trouble of gathering a team to work on it.

An X-universe TV show has the potential to be pretty cool ... there are plenty of different ways they could do it. Pete Milligan's X-Force? Peter David's X-Factor Investigations? District X? X-Men Legacy w/ Legion? We've seen with "The Flash" that good superpower FX can be delivered on a TV budget.

Podmark

Quote from: Tomato on January 26, 2015, 07:37:06 PM
Yeah... if Marvel has to sign off on it, I sincerly doubt this'll happen. Marvel's relationship with Fox is strained at best, and allowing them to create an X-men tv show would just create further competition with their existing properties.

Someone from Fox said that meetings with Marvel have gone good so far, and considering they're talking so openly about this I think the two must at least see the potential of this working out. It's probably just a matter of figuring out how many dollars are going Disney/Marvel's way.

I'm excited about the idea of an X-Men TV show, but I wonder how well they can deal with the mutations and powers. I also wonder which characters they would use, probably not the core movie characters.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

I think this sounds like it could be cool, but it needs a decent premise and cast. They're probably be extremely limited in what prominent X-Men franchise characters they can use, but fortunately the X-Men universe has hundreds of good characters. This might be a great chance for lesser characters to get a chance. I don't think the role reprisals would be any better than the ones in S.H.I.E.L.D., if that. So no Jackman, no Magneto or Xavier, ect. Maybe they can have, like, Jubilee or Colossus or someone. I'd love to see Warpath, Sunspot and Blink get bigger roles. Man, Blink was cool in that movie.

You know who should be a regular if they can get him? CYCLOPS. That guy has been crapped on so bad in those movies, and on a tv show where they're cut off from the better characters he might actually get a chance to develop his character more and do justice to his comics and (to a much lesser extent) cartoon counterparts.

Now if you ask me, I would just do the longtime people's choice and do an X-Factor show. Yeah, the book never sold the big numbers, but crime shows have worked on TV since before I was born. The premise can serve their goal of low budget shenanigans well (S.H.I.E.L.D has struggled with that), and roughly half the cast of the X-Factor comics are guys the movies probably aren't going to do much with.

Here's two more ideas: 1. Make it a young X-Men show. 2. Make it a time travel series with Cable. You can make it Marvel's answer to Doctor Who.

Beyond that, I just really hope it's more like the CW shows than Gotham and the Marvel ones.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

Shocker,

That's what one of the other stories I was reading said they were rumored to be looking at, an X-Factor series.  Which in my opinion would be limiting.  What I'm thinking.  It'd be kind of odd to have a series with that basis and call it an "X-Men" series.  Which is why I thought it was a little odd when I read that.

Honestly, when I think when people think X-Men, they think Xavier, the school, mutants vs humanity a view of society from a fake comic-book lense.  Given the current social environment we hear about in the news, I could really see them using topical matters and making them about mutants.  But through that lense, use a younger cast to tell that story and to sell that view guided by older figures.  A little like the dynamic of the first film, but not hijack the timeline as much as the first film did.

That said, whenever I thought about this happening, I imagined this being in the style of a CW/WB series, heavier on the drama and not as fast-paced action of a network series.  I can't remember the exact book it was, but I remember reading a X-Men story back in college.  It was a different/newer take on the origin.  Cyclops was being used to commit crimes, Beast was a high school jock, Angel was the "rich kid" and Jean was almost portrayed as your typical teenage girl.  Iceman was a bit of a slacker.  But it was a younger group.  Not X-Men as we think of them, but kids being talked to with a guy who had a vision.  I want to try to find it, but if I were thinking about doing a TV show, I'd lean that way:  Xavier recruiting kids to go to his school from a society that mistrust them and treats them with hostility.

Shogunn2517

Trailer to Fox's 2017-2018 new series "The Gifted"
https://youtu.be/bQe0oExmgo4

Apparently, this is a completely different series that was thought of and outlined from above, but I figure why waste the webspace with another thread and hijack my own thread.

This show follows a family with Mutant children...
Spoiler
Oddly, the family is the "Strucker" family with two kids, girl and boy, being roughly the same age and one of them named "Andy" Strucker.  That said, as reported and I don't think it's been fully confirmed that this is NOT the Strucker family and this is not the Fernis Twins.  These children have powers which seem to be psionically based.
But as the story goes, the father works for the government and has a job that requires him to hunt/prosecute mutants, which causes a rift with his wife and kids that is made worse when they are revealed to be mutants.

So apparently they go on the run.  And that's the series.  There are other mutants, notable mutants that are featured, Polaris, Blink and Thunderbird to name the few.  In regard to the universe, apparently it's set "within" Fox's movie universe but not "connected" to the films.  Of course the films has their screwy timeline going on, but the Brotherhood and the X-Men do exist (or did) but none of the movie characters will be referenced by name. 

Shogunn2517

Okay, today's debut show is Fox's The Gifted

Just finishing up and so for I'll fully reserve judgment, but it's not completely bad.  Watchable.  Not extremely exciting or gripping, but a solid plot, some fun easter eggs a decent group of characters, I'll say I am looking forward to what's to come.  At least in comparison's to Marvel's other debuting series, The Inhumans...

Spoiler
As is such, there are a number of comparisons with this and Inhumans.  Oddly, both involve humans or beings who are enhanced.  Both shows actually started with one such enhanced being, with colorful eyes, running from gun wielding persons in the rain.  Both have that enhanced being getting "rescued" by other enhanced beings known to comic fans.  However, this start and the execution of the show in general was MUCH better.  The first few minutes have circulated online and I've watched and the tone and feel of the series is different than that of either the MCU and even the X-Men films which it shares its universe with.

As the show progressed, I saw it touch on a number of details I think grounds it to connect to the audience more than any typical show.  They touched on social issues and how Mutants are viewed in broader society.  They touched on the connection to the broader X-Men Universe, noting the X-Men are no longer around(what happen to them exactly, not sure).  Sentinels, which are both a government agency that detains mutants(Sentinel Services) and actual "Sentinels" or robots that help the agents find mutants.  We've seen them in the previews of a spider-like robot and drones, which are smaller, not biped humanoid robots.  Honestly, I hope to see that changed real quick.

The plot of the show, which everyone suspected would be extremely cookie-cutter; guy targets mutants.  Family are mutants.  Guy and family go on the run from people guy work for.  That was the formula many expected, but so far it hasn't been exactly that as of yet.  The show featured the family escaping/hiding from the authorities(Sentinel Services) and The "Mutant Underground"(a Underground Railroad network of mutants trying to help other mutants.  Polaris is captured and Eclipse's attempt to find a way to get her back.  The two storylines come together and suggest that the Strucker family(still not sure why the went with that name) will be sticking around for a while.  Not sure how the series will progress from there, but again, it's enough for me to care about watching to see more.

Hope to get more easter eggs and characters from the expanded X-universe as well.  This week, Eclipse's ringer was from the animated series, Stan Lee cameo'ed coming out of the "teX pub". 

But there's a lot of room where they can take the series, so I'm looking forward to it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, I saw it, and it wasn't half bad.  I mean it was the first episode, so it was mostly introducing things, but there's real potential here.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Saw the second episode and I am liking it so far.  It's more of a drama about people with superpowers than it is a superhero show--but that's fine given the series' set up.  I shall continue watching.

Shogunn2517

Yeah, I'm getting through the second episode myself and it's definitely interesting.  They're giving some real "nuts and bolts" or "guts" of the X-Men Universe or what it would seem like if it was actually real.  Just to see how the environment is, how mutants are being treated, it's almost like racism meets bullying.  I mean, I know racism can go hand-in-hand with bullying, but it's a bullying or shaming that makes this a little different.  It isn't just a belief, but it's the practice that makes this more significant.  But it's weird that everytime I hear "mutie" I actually feel as if that's a slur, the way the characters say it.  Some of the language they use also sounds familiar "Some of his best friends are mutants", classifying groups of mutants as a terrorist organization(PLO/Black Panthers, etc) and assuming mutants are inherently more dangerous/aggressive than humans.  I want to laugh, but seeing these themes and hearing the language makes it much more familiar and grounds it in realism that makes it more interesting to watch.  Just interesting to see this world.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Mutants have always been used as a proxy to examine racism and prejudice.  Indeed, one of the good things about fantasy and sci-fi in general is the ability to examine real issues while stripping away the elements that trigger our own preconceptions.  Having a series instead of a fast paced action film does seem to give them room to examine these things in much more detail it seems.

Silver Shocker

So far it's all right, but it really feels like Heroes if Heroes actually had the real X-Men license. Ordinary people who just happen to have randomized powers and have their lives complicated because of it. It's fine so far, but it doesn't hold my attention the way a lot of other superhero shows on tv right now do, and having it air right after Supergirl is really going to take the wind out of its sails, because, as with this week, I'm more likely to spend the next hour thinking over all the nifty, interesting developments and new characters featured in the Supergirl episode I just watched than anything playing out on screen in the Gifted. Though I will say I was amused this week by thinking of Blink being out of commission for an entire episode only to regenerate into Days of Future Past actress Fan BingBing like how David Tennant was introduced in Doctor Who.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa