Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Celebrate Freedom!

Author Topic: DC animated original movies  (Read 8299 times)

Online Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Re: DC animated original movies
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
I caught Batman and Harley Quinn on tv the other night. Well that was a thing.

It was an odd movie for sure. Half the time it's played serious, half the time straight up comedy, Batman and Nightwing don't have much to do in general except be comedic foils to Harley's antics, and the story looks and feels a lot like a half hour episode of Batman TAS stretched out into 74 minutes by padding the hell out of certain scenes such as the chase scene, the music and dance number, a death of a minor supporting character, and a post-credits scene. Having finally seen the infamous ending, I can say it is indeed random, bizarre and anti-climatic. On a positive, I agree with the earlier post that praised the action scenes, they were indeed quite good.
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
Suicide Squad Hell to Pay.Somewhat based on a Secret Six story.Its not that great even by the standard of trashy action movies.
It has a few good character moments,and nice action scenes,but old problems are still around,and CW publicity and trying too hard to be mature doesnt really help.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Online Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2018, 08:47:08 AM »
I give them a fair amount of credit for actually giving some insight into the character of Bronze Tiger, probably the best adaptation of the character outside the comics, where he's usually just "Martial Arts Thug".
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2018, 12:18:02 PM »
I agree there.
Also,I found Copperhead to be pretty interesting.Mostly because we dont see him that often.
On the other hand,Im really tired of Killer Frost,Harley and Deadshot.And Deathstroke,but thats a different movie.With a weird apperence of Kevin Smith. 🤔
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2018, 08:06:04 PM »
Justice League Dark is a valiant effort at adapting the magic side of DC,but once again N52 looks and a not-so-good voice cast don't do it any favors.At least,it was an honest attempt,which is more then I can say for a lot of their other films since JL War onward.
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:12 PM »
Batman and Harley Quinn Remember Batman The Animated Series?Well,lets revisit that.And add some adult humor because we really want to be Deadpool.And lets get Kevin Conroy to phone in this one.
I could rant a lot about this one,but in the end,as a lot of people pointed out- an episode of New Adventures of Batman did it better in 20 minutes,20 years ago.
Jon Farmer

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
Everything I heard about that movie made me deeply, deeply sad.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:35 AM »
So apparently Death of Superman has leaked online...

Anyone take a gander?

Online Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2018, 11:14:11 PM »
Umm....no, I don't do that. I'm not a fan of piracy in general. I'll give it a digital rental when it comes out. I imagine if there's anything particularly interesting in it the comic news sites will spoil it like they did The Killing Joke so I'll likely hear of it there first.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Online Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2018, 01:10:09 AM »
Just finished watching this. I thought it was pretty decent. Not amazing, but not bad. I liked the connections to the previous animated movies in the same set. Rainn Wilson as Luthor was alright, not great, a little too light-sounding than I prefer my Luthors, but he did sound kinda similar to James Woods from Justice League Action who I got used to with time. It is a more faithful adaptation than Superman Doomsday, with the League being used in a very similar way to the JLA roster from the 90's storyline.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cress Williams (Black Lightning) voices John Henry Irons (he previously cameod in Throne of Atlantis voiced by Khary Payton), Patrick Fabian from Better Call Saul voices Hank Henshaw, and while we don't hear him in this film, Cameron Monaghan (Jerome/Joker from Gotham) is going to voice Superboy.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Online Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2018, 04:55:15 AM »
An update on the upcoming followup Reign of the Supermen film. We've gotten a few trailers so far, animation looks a little iffy but it's still neat to see these characters in a movie. I'm disappointed that so far (to my knowledge) we still haven't heard Cameron Monaghan as Superboy since I've loved his Joker on Gotham and I really want to see how he does Superboy (for the record, what we do know is Superboy is going to reimagined as a "modern" young celebrity, social media exposure and all. Which is fair, because when Connor was introduced in the 90's comics he was a Booster Gold style glory hound through and through. Or, to go closer to home, he's basically the Ultimen from JLU. There is a gag in the movie I read about that was shown at comic con involving Superboy that was so funny and perfect I literally burst into laughter:

Anyways, I just finished watching Teen Titans Go the Movies. Honestly? I kinda loved it. Some jokes were low brow duds (times like this I question if fart jokes have ever been unironically funny in any context) but the various cameos, callbacks and references were fun (for example, Miss Martian and Artemis can bee seen in the superhero group shots) and some of the jokes, predictably and not particularly fresh as they were, got a legit laugh from me, such as:

Will Arnett was great as Slade of course. While I thought the casting an odd choice when I first learned of it honestly, I don't think Ron Pearlman from the original series would have done as good a job doing this material. Kristin Bell was also quite good as the movie director. Nicholas Cage as Superman (!!!) was fine performance-wise (he has 2 or 3 lines, tops) but his voice, unsurprisingly doesn't really match the character. Ditto Wonder Woman.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:00:43 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018