DC animated original movies

Started by HarryTrotter, January 30, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

I just watched through all of them so just to throw out some opinions on them.Son of Batman,WAR and Throne of Atlantis are already commented upon extensivly,so im gonna skip them.All of them have awessome cast,just to clear that out.Most actors from DCAU reprise their roles.Nathan Filion as Hal Jordan(Sheldon would be happy),and Neil Patrick Harris as Flash were absolutly brilliant.

-Wonder woman- I really dont like sitting through origin stories I already know too well.And it recycles the Hades arc from JL,but with Ares in his place.Really nothing new for me here.  :(

-Batman: Assault on Arkham-More like Deadshot,The Movie.Im not a fan of Arkham games in the first place,so it doesnt sit right with me.King Shark was a nice adition.

-Batman: Year One-Origin story,but handled pretty good.Bryan Cranston is great as Jim Gordon.

-Green Lantern:First Flight-Again,origin story we all know.But more of a police drama with Sinestro and Hal at first.Its okey.

-JL Flashpoint Paradox-By far the BEST of them all.Stellar voice cast,great animation,great story.It has everything.  :thumbup:

-JL Crisis on Two earths: It was supposed to be Grand Finale of DCAU,but sadly its a stand alone film.Owlman was a great villan,we tottaly need more of him.Again,good movie.

-JL New Frontier: Reimagining the Justice League in the 50s was brilliant.It was great seeing how the heroes change through the movie.Unfortunatly its only 70 minutes,so there wasnt place for anything more.

-All-Star Superman-Functions great as the final Superman story,but suffers from WAY TOO MANY subplots.Seriously there is enough material for a season of TV here.

-Batman the Dark Knight returns-It was great simply.Great final story for Batman.One of the best Batman adaptations I ever watched.
Spoiler
Also Batman finally kills Joker.

-Batman: Under the Red Hood-Its a masterpiece,quite simply.Jensen Ackles is brilliant as Jason Todd.

-Green Lantern:Emerald Knight-A collection of stories about notable GLs like Abin Sur and Mogo(hehe).Very entertaining.

-JLA Adventures:Trapped in Time-Very childish,bur fun.Loved the Time Trapper.

-Justice League Doom-Not mindblowing,but pretty good.It was nice seeing Malefic.

-Superman/Batman Public Enemies-Probably the weakest of the whole lott.I mean Lex Luthor kisses Amanda Waller,whats with that? :doh:
Toyman was funny,thou...

-Superman/Batman Apocalypse-I liked it,not much to add besides that.

-Superman Unbound-A little different take on Brainiac.Very mediocre IMO.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

-Superman vs the Elite-It captures everything I liked about Superman.A does a lott of questioning on his moral choices.Probably my favourite movie here.
-Batman vs Dracula-Kinda nonsensical,but a good movie.
Jon Farmer

Cyber Burn

Sorry, but spoilers would have been nice for those who haven't seen these yet.

HarryTrotter

Oh,now I see one thats problematic,sorry.Im gonna tag it when im on PC.

Done,and done.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I really liked Batman: Dark Knight Returns. I own pt 1 on Bluray. I think it's the only DC animated movie I own that wasn't taped off tv (I should really replace my VHS recording of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker with a DVD or Blu-Ray one of these days though). I like the movie of DKR a lot more than the comic, which I wasn't really impressed by. The music was epic and Micheal Emerson was a pretty great Joker. Peter Weller as Batman was incredibly hit-or-miss IMO.

Spoiler
I don't see it as Batman killing the Joker. He beats him quite a bit and apparently breaks his neck to paralyses him (I don't think either version of the story makes it clear if that would kill him) and Joker (somehow) snaps his own neck just by turning/twisting/tensing it. Not really Batman's fault IMO.

I saw Son of Batman a while ago and I thought that was decent. While most of the rest of the cast was meh Damion was IMO pretty good. I'm looking forward to the next one with him.
JL Flashpoint Paradox was just ok. I never read the comic but my interest in it was always pretty low. 
I'm actually watching JL War right now and it's pretty mediocre. The animation is rather hit-or-miss and the voice acting in general is pretty weak. I agree with anyone who said WW was terrible in the original thread. She didn't sound right for the character at all and the line delivery was pretty weak.
[Edited to add] I will say that I was pleasantly surprised by Alan Tudyk as Superman. He was surprisingly decent. Sounds very similar to Tim Daily and George Newbern from the DCAU though. Hal Jordon was annoying as hell. And he seriously sounded like Glenn Quagmire to me.

That's the main thing that bugs me about some of these movies. The stunt-casting. Ever since Flashpoint, they've all been largely stunt casted to a fault. It's mostly guys from current tv shows who have little to no experience with voice acting. Sure they've done it before (Jensen Ackles as Jason Todd is a good example) but the movies have suffered for it lately IMO. I can't see going back to the DCAU guys (as JL Doom and the Superman/Batman movies did) as anything but an improvement.

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Actually,most of the movies have the cast of DCAU reprising their roles.Kevin Conroy is THE Batman for me.I mean,when I read Batmans line,I hear it ih his voice.Same thing for Mark Hamill as Joker. :)
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm strictly talking about the last three Justice League movies and Son of Batman (both of which featured Jason O'Mara as Batman, rather than Conroy or even Bruce Greenwood). The DCAU was a really great set of cartoons and movies, so much so that it casts a long shadow on every last cartoon DC's done since. The generally excellent voice cast it had was very much a part of that. I'm specifically saying I WANT Conroy, et all doing these instead of the guys from Criminal Minds/NCIS/whatever crime show they get some of these guys from. Conroy was in Assault on Arkham, which I appreciate, but he is also in most of the games that movie was tying into.

To give a perfect example of what I'm talking about: Cyborg. One thing I really appreciated about Injustice was they just had Khary Payton from Teen Titans do the voice, just not wacky and hammy like he does in that show, and he sounded great. I'm not opposed to new guys doing the voices (Troy Baker's Joker is fantastic) but they'd have to be better than they've been lately.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I forgot to mention Superman: Doomsday.Didnt like it that much.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Well...bah, I can't say that interests me too much.  I imagine I'm in the minority on that score, though.

I'd love to see them tackle some Satellite Era JLA stories.  That's extremely unlikely though, given the focus on the joyless New 52 Universe and major stories like this.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

^If you want some fun DC comics I recommend All-star section 8,Bizarro and Bat-Mite.
Killing Joke is in the making for years now.Similar to that,I wonder why they havent adapted Kingdom Come yet?
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 11, 2015, 02:46:28 PM
I'd love to see them tackle some Satellite Era JLA stories.

No offense, but I'd rather not, unless they can give their own spin on them. I binged through all of the classic League comics a year ago -- all the way from the first issue to the beginning of the Detroit era -- and while they usually weren't bad, they were often just kind of mediocre. The problem in the 60's was that there was barely any characterization compared to, say, Avengers, and the problem in the Sattelite Era was that, while the early 70's stuff could be fun, a lot of the stories after that were just sort of 'meh'. And of course, with most characters on the team still having a book or feature of their own, most character development still happened in their own books or features rather than in Justice League itself, to it's detriment. (Though Red Tornado and Zatanna helped to alleviate this somewhat.) Maybe they could do some of the Lein Wein stuff, but other than that, I honestly wouldn't be too interested.

Now if they did Justice League International, that would be a different story...
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

spydermann93

Quote from: Spade on July 11, 2015, 03:32:54 PM
^If you want some fun DC comics I recommend All-star section 8,Bizarro and Bat-Mite.
Killing Joke is in the making for years now.Similar to that,I wonder why they havent adapted Kingdom Come yet?

I would love to see that story get some love! :wub:

HarryTrotter

^I know,right? :D
And seeing that a Milestone line is returning with Earth-M,there is probably a good chance for a movie there.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 11, 2015, 03:34:29 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on July 11, 2015, 02:46:28 PM
I'd love to see them tackle some Satellite Era JLA stories.

No offense, but I'd rather not, unless they can give their own spin on them. I binged through all of the classic League comics a year ago -- all the way from the first issue to the beginning of the Detroit era -- and while they usually weren't bad, they were often just kind of mediocre. The problem in the 60's was that there was barely any characterization compared to, say, Avengers, and the problem in the Sattelite Era was that, while the early 70's stuff could be fun, a lot of the stories after that were just sort of 'meh'. And of course, with most characters on the team still having a book or feature of their own, most character development still happened in their own books or features rather than in Justice League itself, to it's detriment. (Though Red Tornado and Zatanna helped to alleviate this somewhat.) Maybe they could do some of the Lein Wein stuff, but other than that, I honestly wouldn't be too interested.

Now if they did Justice League International, that would be a different story...

Kk, put Timm and co. in charge, and of course they'd elevate those stories!  That's one of the things about those old Bronze Age JLA tales, they had tons of potential, but they usually weren't fantastic in-and-of themselves, though there are more than a few that are pretty darn good.  I suppose what I really want is JLU back.  :(  Ahh well, c'est la vie.

Good question Spade!  Yeah, Kingdom Come is one of the greatest DC stories of all time.  It really should get an adaptation.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

I'm really not surprised that they are doing Killing Joke. It's long been rumored that Mark Hamill who is using the whole "not doing Joker" thing as a way to play hardball with DC and get them to animate Killing Joke.

Silver Shocker

Umm, Tomato? That's a MAJOR spoiler for Arkham Knight, a game I've yet to actually play. Please show consideration for other people when posting spoilers, just as you asked when Age of Ultron came out.

Benton, if it's JLA you're interested in, they also announced a new JLA vs. Titans Animated movie, which will apparently be an original story. They're also doing an original story animated Batman movie that's going to introduce Batwoman (ironic, considering the last Batman TAS movie they did was Mystery of the Batwoman, which was loosely based on the comics at best).
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Danggit, you are right, edited the post. Sorry about that.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: spydermann93 on July 11, 2015, 06:23:20 PM
Quote from: Spade on July 11, 2015, 03:32:54 PM

I would love to see that story get some love! :wub:

Personally, the one story that I would love to see get some love, would be "The Golden Age". Probably one of the best, if not actually the best, Elseworlds Story ever told.

HarryTrotter

Something I will probably get a lott of hate for,but I would like to see Hush adapted.The story actually feels like it was writen for a movie.There are also City of Crime and Dead Reckoning worth mentioning.Also seeing all the love for Batman,its weird Knightfall was never adapted in any form?
Maybe,somewhat in Arkham Knight.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Quote from: Spade on July 12, 2015, 05:58:13 AM
Something I will probably get a lott of hate for,but I would like to see Hush adapted.The story actually feels like it was writen for a movie.There are also City of Crime and Dead Reckoning worth mentioning.Also seeing all the love for Batman,its weird Knightfall was never adapted in any form?
Maybe,somewhat in Arkham Knight.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the core elements of Hush adapted. I liked elements of it, and it was written back when Jeph Loeb was still fairly capable. I wouldn't mind seeing adaptions of Long Halloween and Dark Victory either, if not for length.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on July 12, 2015, 03:27:06 AM
Danggit, you are right, edited the post. Sorry about that.
It's all right. We should also keep in mind with the PC version problems, some fans will get to the game later than they normally would.

Spade, I can't speak for anyone else, but I think Hush is a perfectly sound idea for an animated movie. I've always thought of it as a "Batman World Tour" (even the covers show as many Bat-Family members as possible), which has always worked well for video games, and some animated movies. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is a good example of that, though ironically Under the Red Hood cut out that aspect from the comics, as I understand it (I've not read the comic version myself).

As for Knightfall, one could say it got some nods in The Dark Knight Rises.

In both cases, I'm a big fan of adapting comic material that hasn't made it to movie/tv territory yet, so my non-comics reading friends and relatives IRL can get in on the fun.  On a more selfish note, I really would like to see Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain make it into adaptations, since unlike, say, Dickard Grayson, that's material that hasn't been done over and over and they've only made a few cameos in stuff.

Justice League International would be a nice change of pace. It kinda got a nod with the Justice League in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

On the note of Hamill as Joker,  2 things:

1. Some fans have scrutinized the fact that Hamill also played Joker in DC Universe Online, which was getting a Joker themed update at the time. The game is still being updated to this day. I've played it recently, and I can personally say Hamill (and Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn) are in it for the whole thing, appearing in main story missions, optional content, and collectable audio logs. The thing is, I don't think anyone knows when all that was recorded. (Sorkin as Harley is an interesting hiccup - Tara Strong took over the role starting with Batman: Arkham City, and usually plays her in everything).

2. It's also possible DC learned of Troy Baker's awesome con panel reading of the Joker's monologue from the Killing Joke, and said "Let's greenlight this b___". In that case, as with Assault on Arkham, Baker might be playing Joker in it. Which I'd fine with. He's been a fantastic replacement for Hamill.

[Edit] I still want my animated movie of Forever Ever with Bryan Cranston as Lex Luthor though.
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Sad thing is, I've BEEN making sure not to let that slip in the Arkham thread, I just posted it here without thinking.

And I for one would LOVE forever evil, though I worry it's a bit too close to DC's last evil universe one, Crisis on Two Earths.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Tomato on July 12, 2015, 03:56:58 PM
Sad thing is, I've BEEN making sure not to let that slip in the Arkham thread, I just posted it here without thinking.

I noticed, and I appreciate that.

In my mind, the Forever Evil adaptation would be a loose adaptation anyway, similar to Justice League: Doom. But you're right, it's very similar, with Luthor and the Crime Syndicate in major roles. One way to get around this would be to change the villains to someone else (like Justice League Doom did with Vandal Savage).
~Rocky Balboa

bat1987

Oh wow, this one will be really tricky to adapt. Really interested in seeing how they replicate Brian Bolland's art and what are they gonna do with the ending.

Silver Shocker

^ Honestly, after the way they did the art in the Dark Knight Returns animated movies (which is to say, they kept the bulky Miller style but took out all of the messy inconsistent "squiggly line cartoon character" looking stuff. In short, it looked great), which was one of if not my major sticking point with the comic, I'm sure it'll do fine.

So I saw this today: It's being reported that Hamill will indeed do Killing Joke, and has already recorded his lines.

Now first off: SPOILER ALERT. Some of the articles reporting this (not the one I linked to) spoil the Arkham Knight videogame. Fair warning.

People are saying that Conroy's gotta be in there, and yeah, I say that's a given. They're also talking whether it'll be toned down. I think that'll be the most interesting part of this whole enterprise. DC's done a lot more violence in their DVD movies in recent years but the creepy sex stuff in it might be too much. Honestly if they toned that down but nailed the rest of the story I'd be fine with because it's all the other stuff (the stuff that's made into the movies and video games and such) that I love from it.

~Rocky Balboa

JeyNyce

What was the creepy sex part?  The Joker shot her, took off her clothes and took pictures of her that he later on showed Jim to drive him crazy.  If you read the comics, there were no nudity, the most you saw was a cheek or 2.  It kind of annoys me that people took it further than what actually happen.  The Joker did not have his way with her, he just took pics, that's all.  I don't think DC needs to tone it down, just put a PG13 label on it.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Alan Moore actually had to explain that Joker didnt defile Barbara,so there is that.
Ofc,that being a story by Alan Moore,cant blame people for being confused.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Just an FYI, here's an example of what Mark Hamill's 'Killing Joke' Joker might sound like, and if it turns out anything like this, then DC's got my money.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

JeyNyce

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 28, 2015, 01:58:02 PM
Just an FYI, here's an example of what Mark Hamill's 'Killing Joke' Joker might sound like, and if it turns out anything like this, then DC's got my money.

That was so creepy and yet, he makes a good point.  I love it.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!