DC animated original movies

Started by HarryTrotter, January 30, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 28, 2015, 01:05:31 PM
What was the creepy sex part?  The Joker shot her, took off her clothes and took pictures of her that he later on showed Jim to drive him crazy.  If you read the comics, there were no nudity, the most you saw was a cheek or 2.  It kind of annoys me that people took it further than what actually happen.  The Joker did not have his way with her, he just took pics, that's all.  I don't think DC needs to tone it down, just put a PG13 label on it.

Fair warning I'm posting this really tired and I cut out some stuff that I can always chime in on again later if this thread takes off:

I could have phrased that better. And just for the record, I both have read and own the comic.

I always thought Gordon's captivity had a BDSM theme to it myself, and I mistakenly remembered the Joker's minions being in gimp costumes, so that one's on me. You would be mistaken about the nudity. It shows Barbara's nipples when Joker is showing the naked photos. I literally just checked my copy of the HC to confirm these (for the record, I own the recolored version. This might make me a traitor). I should also point out that the comic is labeled "Suggested for Mature Readers" which usually equates to an R-rating (though animated features with comparable content do often get a PG-13, so you're not wrong there)

I think Warner Bros might have issues putting that out on a dvd that's going to sit on stores next to stuff for the younger set. Especially when DC recently recalled a Batgirl variant cover that simply alluded to the events of TKJ, after a significant backlash (including from the book's own writer).

Really though, the treatment of Babs in TKJ is really frigging sexist. And as the book was made almost 30 years ago, DC/WB might feel their animated movie made in 2015 for the mass market might bear to be a little more progressive. Heck, considering how loose most of these films have been (Year One and KNR are definitely some of the the most faithful), Babs might not even factor in at all.

Actually another thing about TKJ is it's fairy short, especially compared to other storylines they've adapted, and doesn't have much action. An animated movie would probably have to expand it just to fit a proper runtime and feel like a movie.

Spoilers for the Batman Arkham Knight videogame:

Spoiler
There's a scene in Arkham Knight that directly homages the scene in the Killing Joke where Barbara is shot by Joker, wearing his tropical outfit. In this version, an M rated game to boot, the Joker doesn't strip Barbara. I don't think it's even implied it happened offscreen. This says to me that between WB who published the game, and Rocksteady, the developers, noone was comfortable keeping that in.  I don't personally think it's a necessary story point anyway, since you already have Barbara shot and crippled for life. 

This makes me think WB doesn't really want that aspect spread out to the other mediums and the wider audience that comes with it.

The game's also gotten criticized for its female characters being damsels in distress and dying over the course of the story. It might not be a terrible idea to try harder in future products.

^ Pretty good, but the real Hamill would be way better. The Troy Baker reading was awesome on its own.

If it's really Hamill, and they do a good job on it, yeah, DC's got my money. Even though I harp on the use of Barbara, I actually really do love the Killing Joke, I think it's the definitive Joker story story (which is way Batman 89, Dark Knight, and the last three Arkham games have cherry picked the best bits from it). I really would love to see Hamill nail that material.

Oh, and for goodness sake please cast a good Jim Gordon for this.

QuoteAlan Moore actually had to explain that Joker didnt defile Barbara,so there is that.
Ofc,that being a story by Alan Moore,cant blame people for being confused.

Well, Watchmen had a sexual assault in it, which did make it into the movie. Even Moore has said he went too dark with Killing Joke. I think between the Arkham series, the Dark Knight, and the new Jared Leto version, the public view of the character is a lot closer to that now though.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yes,the scene from Watchman...There is also a story in Swamp Thing,where the title character is "attacked" by a sentient satellite.Its even weirder then it sounds if you haven't read it.
And you could interpret that scene in Killing Joke in different ways.Seriously,there is a reason Alan Moore had to explain it.
IMO,I think Dennis O'Neil did the best job at writing Joker."What,haven't you ever seen a comic strip?"  :lol:
Which kinda reminds me,WAY too much for one movie I know,but No Mans Land?Anyone?  ;)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Eh. haven't really read No Man's Land (partly because it was out of print for several years) but a simplified, shorter version could work. It's also more recently played out material in Dark Knight Rises and Arkham City. And of course, it would finally give them an excuse to adapt Cassandra Cain. ;) Actually, the only part of that story I've read was in Azreal and Cass was in those issues.

While I have a lot of respect for Denny O'Neal as a Batman writer and editor (I'm of the opinion that under his editing the Batman books in the 90s were surprisingly good. Chuck Dixon was the man on Robin and Nightwing), I don't think I've actually ever read a Denny O'neal story with Joker in it. Now I'm kinda curious.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

In a nutshell,O'neil actually strikes a balance between monster and the clown.Joker is still a maniac,but hes actually funny for most of the time.
Actually,I belive DC is reprinting Legacy and No Mans Land sometimes soon.And Arkham Knight gave them a reason to collect Azrael v1 finnaly.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yes, I didn't mention that, but I was aware that No Man's Land and Azreal were being reprinted.
~Rocky Balboa

kkhohoho

I think this one's been mentioned, but in any case, here's another example of what a Hamill Joker in The Killing Joke may sound like, courtesy of Troy Baker. His performance is almost entirely based off of Hamill's take on the role, though it's just a tad more subtle and menacing.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Batman Unlimited:Monster Mayhem was just kinda...meh.
Jon Farmer

doctorchallenger

Quote from: Tomato on July 12, 2015, 06:40:48 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing adaptions of Long Halloween and Dark Victory either, if not for length.

In this era of Netflix/Amazon Prime/etc. - DC should adapt these as a binge watching mini-series. Perhaps Byrne's Man of Steel mixed with Man for All Seasons (which would bring the series up to 10 episodes), O'Neil Adams Batman (perhaps modifying the first Ras Al Ghul arc as a framing device), Englehart/Rogers Batman (from Detective Comics), the first Moore Swamp Thing Arc, and Davis' Nail/Another Nail series would be others that I would love to see. A great way to promote Suicide Squad as a film franchise would be an ongoing, binge-able adaptation of Ostrander's Suicide Squad (it would also promote views of the Killing Joke, as Oracle was created in Suicide Squad). Actually I would watch a faithful adaptation of pretty much any series Ostrander wrote for DC.

HarryTrotter

Seeing that Snyder is all the rage,might as well adapt Black Mirror.
Saga of Swamp Thing would be a bit hard to translate to screens,but  I would love to see that.
And,heck,why not an Authority adaptation?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I have to get this off my chest, so bare with me:

People have compared Marvel movies with DC movies and complained that Marvel did their movies better than DC.  I have also heard that DC is copying Marvel by making separate heroes films and doing one big one at the end.  While Marvel may have hit the target by doing this, DC is not copying them, DC done it first before Marvel.  How?  you asked?  Just look at Batman: TAS and the see how it became a whole (Timm)universe within DC animation.

Thank you for reading, now back to the show!
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Its hard to compare universes since there is only 1 movie in DCCU.And Valiant has addopted the same formula with their Cinematic Universe.
I cant pick a storyline that would be good for a movie,but Sandman.Something can definitly be made there.It would be cool to see some Vertigo animated films.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Killing Joke will have an additional 15 minutes added to the story.Kind of a prologue,I think.
Another massive arc that deserves a movie: Sub Diego.It can be done.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I would love to see a Sub Diego film, but the trouble is that it never really got a satisfying conclusion because of DC stupidity, endless events, and unstable creative teams.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Yeah,Infinite Crisis screwed up pretty much everyone.But a movie could have a different ending ofc.Or just an ending.
No better place to mention this.Tom Hardy is working on a new DC project that isnt a movie or a TV show,and is kinda like Transmetropolitan.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

True Spade.  If I had more faith in the folks behind these movies, I could get pretty excited about that prospect.  It would be a perfect opportunity to fix that series's problems. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

There is apparently a petition for DC to cancel Killing Joke.Because why would they rehash that story etc,etc...
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Yes, because petitions do so much.  :rolleyes:

Listen, the real reason DC is doing this is fairly simple (Minor spoilers for Arkham Knight):

Spoiler
Mark Hamill played hardball with DC to get Killing Joke made, and basically refused to play the character again until he got what he wanted. Since they kinda needed Hamill's Joker for Arkham Knight's story, they capitulated and...

...and as far as DC is concerned, no one could buy the Killing Joke and the money they put into it would still be worth it. Besides, at this point, they've already started production, so it would take a major, MAJOR backlash against the film to cause them to reconsider at this point, and people are so excited for more Mark Hamill that's not going to happen. So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about any petitions or anything putting a stop to the film.

HarryTrotter

Cant say I was really worried.If online petitions did anything we wouldnt have Ben Afleck as Batman.And Hard Time would be a TV show.Yet here we are.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

New Justice League animated series confirmed.Rumored title is Justice League: Action.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Color me curious about this.  From what (very) little we can tell from the single piece of promo art we've seen, it looks like it is at least somewhat in the style of Batman: The Brave and the Bold

http://firestormfan.com/2015/09/23/jlaction/

In general, I'm interested in JLA shows, so here's hoping this one is a good one.  I could watch something in the B&B line centered around the League (especially if they kept up the mostly good treatment of Aquaman), but I would, of course, prefer something closer to the Timm-verse.  Unfortunately, the latter seems extremely unlikely.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

2 new movies in 2016:
Batman: Bad Blood
Justice League vs Titans
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

spydermann93

JeyNyce

Killing gets the ok to be R rated

http://batman-news.com/2015/10/09/batman-the-killing-joke-rated-r/

That doesn't mean that it will be, but they got the OK

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Bad Blood was,idk,like they fused 2-3 movies together.Its all style,no substance.And despite the fact that Batman doesnt kill,EVERY villain dies,rather messy.Is Spectre following Bat-family around just to troll them?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Bad Blood was ok.  I like how they did Batwoman and the ending was cool, which means there's going to be another Bat movie coming out soon.

HarryTrotter

I just saw Justice League vs Teen Titans.It was a joyless experience.  <_<
Jon Farmer