DC animated original movies

Started by HarryTrotter, January 30, 2015, 06:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

How surprising.  :(  I just got the Brave and Bold dvds.  I think I'm going to watch some of them tonight to cheer myself up.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

JeyNyce

I just finish watching Justice League vs Teen Titans and it wasn't all that.  Since when did Starfire become Sailor Moon???  The only good/ funny part was the quick talk between Supes & Flash

This just make me wish they bring back Young Justice
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Cyber Burn

Just got my Ticket for the July 25th theatrical showing of "The Killing Joke". I have to admit, I'm quite excited about this.

Silver Shocker

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

And that song killed the mood a bit.Voice acting was great as expected.Animation was passable,lets say.
First half an hour is an overly long intro concerning Batgirl chasing some mobster.Which should give some depth to Barbara.but actually makes her seem a bit unbalanced.Rest of the movie was surprisingly faithful to the source material and I cant really complain about anything there.Funny thing is that credits read "based on a graphic novel illustrated by Brian Bolland" with no mention of who wrote the GN in question.
And the elephant in the room-
Spoiler
Batman and Batgirl had sex.Angsty rooftop sex.
Why was that added?Whats the point?Daddy issues?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on July 23, 2016, 08:29:00 AM
And that song killed the mood a bit.Voice acting was great as expected.Animation was passable,lets say.
First half an hour is an overly long intro concerning Batgirl chasing some mobster.Which should give some depth to Barbara.but actually makes her seem a bit unbalanced.Rest of the movie was surprisingly faithful to the source material and I cant really complain about anything there.Funny thing is that credits read "based on a graphic novel illustrated by Brian Bolland" with no mention of who wrote the GN in question.
And the elephant in the room-
Spoiler
Batman and Batgirl had sex.Angsty rooftop sex.
Why was that added?Whats the point?Daddy issues?

I'm pretty sure  Alan Moore told DC to take his name of all the adaptations of everything he wrote after the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen movie.  He's not credited on the movie versions of V for Vendetta or Watchmen either.

HarryTrotter

A reminder that James Robinson was the writer of LoEG movie,so we cant really Moore for wanting to distance from that.
Can really say that I paid attention to credits in Watchmen.I shoud recheck that.
Jon Farmer

Midnite

HarryTrotter

To return to Killing Joke,problem is that is basicly two movies in one.A good adaptation of the actual story,and a prequel thats on pair with "Damien trilogy" of New52 animated movies.
I hope they Rebirth the movies soon.
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Quote from: Spade on July 28, 2016, 10:44:23 AM
To return to Killing Joke,problem is that is basicly two movies in one.A good adaptation of the actual story,and a prequel thats on pair with "Damien trilogy" of New52 animated movies.

Pretty much. The Killing Joke portion of the movie is the perfect adaptation of the source material. The "controversial" part of the prequel is not as bad as some people online made it out to be, but it was weird nevertheless and was an uneccesary addition to the plot IMO.

HarryTrotter

A smirking gargoyle didnt really help that moment.
Irony being,thats the scene that got the movie R-rating.And its not even in the comic.
In a perfect world those 30 minutes would have been spent on Joker,since Mark Hammil was one of the main draws for the movie.And we would get a separate Batgirl movie that does more justice to the character.But...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I watched it. It was alright, I enjoyed it. The Batgirl stuff didn't really bother me. I appreciated that they tried to make it more her story, even if for the first 30 minutes I kinda forgot what movie I was watching. And yes, I laughed when it showed the gargoyle.
I complained earlier about the art style when the trailer came out but when I watched the movie I was used to it so it didn't bother me.
The voice cast was quite good, but that's what I was expecting. I especially liked hearing Hamill do the flashbacks. I'm glad Gordon didn't sound overly gruff like he does in the Arkham games. He sounded more like he did in Batman TAS. Bullock's voice actor was also decent, as was Alfred.
I especially liked the bit at the end:

Spoiler
The mid credits scene where Barbara becomes Oracle. Nice touch there.

I'm genuinely curious what Batman animated movie we'll see next, not counting the Harley Quinn one.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Bruce,you the only one who understands me.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

I always enjoyed that bit.  :)

Yeah, I'm not really interested in any of the stuff they're doing at the moment.  I hope they'll put out some stuff that is more FUN soon.  I'd love to see an Aquaman movie that was actually, you know, good.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

HarryTrotter

Next up are 2 Batman movies and Justice League Dark.But dont worry,Batman will be showing up there.I mean,we all like Batman,but give it a little rest.
Well,there was Throne of Atlantis.Which I found somewhat mediocre.
BTW,oddly enough,the competition pretty much gave up on animated movies.  :rolleyes:
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Like I said, I'd like to see a GOOD Aquaman movie, and Throne of Atlantis was definitely not that.  :(
God Bless

HarryTrotter

At least it wasnt about Batman.
But its a the N52 animated movie,so there were some familiar problems. 
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Spade on August 04, 2016, 02:47:00 PM
Next up are 2 Batman movies and Justice League Dark.But dont worry,Batman will be showing up there.I mean,we all like Batman,but give it a little rest.

Hold on, two Batman movies? I've read it's Justice League Dark, "Batman and Harley Quinn" (which I could have sworn used to be called "Joker and Harley Quinn") and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract. What's the other Batman movie? Lego Batman?
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Glitch Girl

Holy Retro Action Spade, you beat me to it.

Totally worth it for the trailer death trap.  :)
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 17, 2016, 04:13:59 PM
Holy Retro Action Spade, you beat me to it.

Totally worth it for the trailer death trap.  :)

Oh boy! Batman Verses The Three or Four Villains of Doom all over again...

Silver Shocker

Well, I wasn't expecting that.  :blink: That's actually kinda awesome.

Doing a little google-fu revealed that movie's existence was announced a year ago. Guess I must have missed it, or otherwise forgotten it.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Okay...that's a little bit awesome.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Nobody posted it,so here is the trailer for Justice League Dark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHO9H8ePHFU
It looks interesting.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Hmm, I didn't even know they were making that.  It does indeed look interesting, but I have to say: what the heck does Batman bring to the table in this magical grudge match between mystic powered beings?  Ha, I'm guessing they just stuck him in because, heaven forbid you make a DC movie without Batman, but it seems a really odd choice. 

Yet, a movie about Etrigan, Zatanna, and other DC mystics?  Color me interested. 
God Bless

HarryTrotter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSYZekLljpg
Killing Joke honest trailer!  :)
Or more accurately: Batgirl: Sex and Gotham City(followed by Killing Joke).
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Man, that is absolutely hilarious!  Also, I don't really care for the Killing Joke in the first place, so I wasn't very interested in this, but now?  Wow, yeah, I'll skip it.  I HATE the whole Batman/Batgirl relationship thing.  That's one of the only places where Bruce Timm is just completely and totally off, and his defense of that move in the way less awesome Animated Series return is just indicative of a bad storyteller, which we know he isn't.  People say, 'that's terrible, that's wrong!' and he says, 'yeah, that's why we did it!'  Transgression for the sake of transgression is pointless and stupid.
God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 31, 2016, 11:32:11 PM
I don't really care for the Killing Joke in the first place--

BURN THE HERETIC! :angry:

(JK, in case it wasn't obvious. :P)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Good news is,Batgirl part can be skipped due to wonders of scene selection.So home edition has that advantage.
I think this was more Azzarelos fault then Timms.
Jon Farmer