The good, the bad, and the ugly-More Tests...

Started by daglob, January 31, 2015, 07:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

I have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It is a particularly aggressive form, so much so that it has spread to the point that surgery is no longer an option. So they are going to try hormone therapy on it.

In 1998, they gave my father six months to two years to live, and decided to try the hormone therapy on him because who knows? It might do some good. He is in his fourth year "cancer free", so obviously the therapy works. I don't think I'm quite as far along as my father was, so I believe that I have a good chance. I've got some slight pain, and know that from my father's case, it will get worse before it gets better. I'll also never father another child (but check out my age; I have no business having a kid), and may have what are euphemistically called "intimacy issues", but, hey, dead people have those problems too, and they don't get to see sunsets, eat chocolate, read the next Doc Savage book, and play with their grandchild (or play Freedom Force), all things I have to look forward do.

What annoys me (other than the whole getting up four or five or ten times at night), is that they squirted chemicals into my veins, injected me with radioactive substances, put me in big machines and zapped me with weird energies, and I didn't develop even one super-power.

WyldFyre

So sorry to hear this.  On the plus side a man who I knew at work (retired not dead) also had that therapy about 6 or 7 years ago.  So fingers crossed buddy.

And I have had several radioactive shots for scans of my back so I feel ya on the superpowers.  Don't even glow in the dark. :(
For Freedom!

Epimethee

My thoughts are with you in this ordeal, Daglob. Still, while you might not realize it yet, you did develop superpowers, after all. And you're going to beat this supervillain!
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

BentonGrey

Ohh my gosh, Daglob, I'm so sorry!  We will keep you in our prayers, my friend.  It sounds like you're ready to come out swinging, and that can make a huge difference in these types of situations.  One of my best friends fought a long battle with cancer, and he had a much better run than they predicted, largely, it seemed, because he was too stubborn to give in.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

spydermann93

I have faith that you'll pull through, Glob! You're you! There isn't any way that PC will take you down; no siree!

hoss20

I am very sorry to hear this, Da Glob. My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer a number of years ago, but they were able to catch it early enough and he was treated with a radioactive seed implanted into the cancerous area. Luckily, he's been clear of it since then. With all of the members of my family that have suffered from some form of cancer, I was unaware of hormone therapy. Obviously, it's more appropriate for some forms of cancer than others. As you mentioned, it has spread too much for surgery and radiation treatment, as well, I assume. What other course of treatment do they have scheduled to accompany the hormone therapy? Please, keep us posted and know that you can always come here for support, advice, or just to vent.

Outcast

I'm sorry to hear about your current health problems Daglob. I'll be praying that the therapy will work for you. Till then be strong, try to stay positive and keep negative thoughts away.

Like what the others said. Don't give up. Even without superpowers, other heroes make up for it through hard work, courage ,persistence and knowledge. I've read that some men who follow a vegetarian diet or eat a lot of fruits and vegetables lowers their risk for it. There are a few other stuff you can read about online.

Anyway, hoping for the best.

Podmark

Wow daglob that's heavy. I'm really hoping for the best.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

Hang in there!  I pray the therapy works.
革命不会被电视转播

Lionheart

Our prayers are with you, Daglob. It does sound like you have genetics working for you, from your dad's experience.

Maybe you'll develop super powers yet.  :)

stumpy

I am sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you, man.

On the superpowers, you may be two-thirds the way there. Lots of times it's radioactivity, chemicals, and a lightning bolt that finally does it. Don't give up when you are so close! ;-)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Starman

My father got diagnosed with prostate cancer about seven years ago (yay for genetics! Can't wait for those exams!) ... after undergoing radiation treatment, he doesn't even need to go in for regular check-ups now, still enjoys a few beers and leads an even more active lifestyle than before!

Modern medicine is amazing and the human body is surprisingly resilient!

Amazo Version 2.2

i'm really sorry to hear about this, i'm hoping that the therapy goes well, and that everything works out.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

daglob

Thank you all; I appreciate your kind words.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the oncologist to set up the course of treatment.

I wouldn't even mind being able to talk to fish...

windblown

I'm sorry to hear this daglob, I'm hoping for the best for you.

Xenolith

Glitch Girl

Oh gosh, I've been so busy lately I haven't checked the main forum.  DaGlob, here's hoping that the therapy works for you as well as it did your dad, if not better. 

And believe me, I know the feeling about the whole lack of powers thing: so far in my life I've been injected with strange chemicals, zapped with lasers, consumed radiation, and injected with electricity, and so far no notiicble powers.  My Glitch Aura has even seemed to have faded over time.  So disappointing.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

doctorchallenger

I wish that I could do something other than offer words. Keep positive. It helps. You have my best wishes.
Doc

Uncle Yuan

Do we really want to contemplate the super powers one might develop while receiving radiation, chemicals and what not for prostate cancer?!

That being said, I am impressed with your attitude.  It is one of those intangible aspects that is so important to surviving and thriving through hardship.  It may or may not affect the outcome, but it certainly affects the journey.  If my meager medical expertise can ever be of benefit, do not hesitate to contact me.
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

daglob

Update:

The oncologist wants to do BOTH chemotherapy and hormone therapy. I was all ready for the hormone therapy (since I have my father as an example of it working), but I'm not really ready for the chemo (although it's another shot at super powers). It also involves surgery to put a port in (reminds me of the heartplugs in the movie version of "Dune"). The doctor swears that I won't get sick, which I'll believe when I DON'T end up sitting on the bathroom floor with my head in the toilet. I remember that anti-nausea medicine nauseated my mother.

All in all I can't say I'm enthusiastic, although the doctor seems convinced that he can get rid of the cancer. So I will go through with it.

If I lose my hair I'll probably end up looking like either Uncle Fester or Dr. Evil. I'm not sure which would be better or worse.

SickAlice

Covered most of it in the PM, but you have my empathy. Best of a luck in this struggle, you impress me as strong willed and creative and the type of person that will overcome what comes your way. Know that everyone here loves you and is here for you.

BentonGrey

Well, having the doctor being encouraging about the process is huge.  That's really great, actually.  I'm sorry that chemo is back on the menu, as that is never exactly fun, but I hope it will be low-impact and, most importantly, effective!

Keep your spirits up, man.  Even iff the process is painful, the reward is still sweet....though, of course, a cure AND super powers would be sweeter.  UY's point about the source might be well taken, on the other hand... :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

WyldFyre

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 07, 2015, 09:42:10 PM
....though, of course, a cure AND super powers would be sweeter.  UY's point about the source might be well taken, on the other hand... :)

In my experience, the Docs are VERY stingy with the powers anyway. 
A doctor thinking he can get rid of a cancer is HUGE my man.  That gives it a pretty good shot. 
The chemo sucks, but has improved over what it used to be.

(And you DO have at least one super-power.  The mystical ability to create 3 dimensional constructs of obscure characters from history.) ^_^

For Freedom!

Glitch Girl

Did they say what kind of dosage of Chemo?  If they're doing both therapies, it might be the lower dose, which means less sick feeling, though be prepared for many things tasting like yuck.  Spicy foods tend to cut through that, though you might be a bit more sensitive to some spice.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Alaric

Fear the "A"!!!

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on February 09, 2015, 05:36:04 PM
Did they say what kind of dosage of Chemo?  If they're doing both therapies, it might be the lower dose, which means less sick feeling, though be prepared for many things tasting like yuck.  Spicy foods tend to cut through that, though you might be a bit more sensitive to some spice.

He didn't say (and I was too stunned to ask), but he wants to go "three weeks on and one week off"; says it's better.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Bill

MikeB7

Love your attitude, stay positive!  Best wishes, daglob.  -Mike

bearded

Quote from: daglob on February 10, 2015, 10:56:27 PM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on February 09, 2015, 05:36:04 PM

He didn't say (and I was too stunned to ask), but he wants to go "three weeks on and one week off"; says it's better.

Thank you all for the encouragement.

Bill
My minor issues have given me that, for some reason dairy tastes really strange. I am not lactose intolerant, milk just tastes very weird. Ice cream seems fine, but homemade brownies were weird.
When I was stuck in bed, especially after weird drugs I did some Zen and the art of FF, did some mental meshing. Just remember how much we appreciate you here. I don't know how you feel about it, but we have all known each other for so long, it is like an extended family.

daglob

I feel like someone punched a couple of holes in my chest and tried to stick a plastic tube in my heart.

Chemo starts Monday.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: daglob on February 21, 2015, 06:27:20 PM
I feel like someone punched a couple of holes in my chest and tried to stick a plastic tube in my heart.

Chemo starts Monday.

By which I assume you just got your port placed.  Good luck on the chemo!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."