News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Pink Skins Even with DDS

Started by AfghanAnt, February 18, 2015, 02:52:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfghanAnt

Anyone know why meshes would still be showing pink even with dds and yes I have all the files. :)

hoss20

What mesh is it or is it a skope you're currently working on? It might be that the art files aren't the ones being referenced in the mesh. For example, the mesh might be using male_basic_lightmap.dds, but the lightmap file in the skin folder is named lightmap.dds. So this way, it looks like all of the art files are present, but they are just named incorrectly.

spydermann93

Quote from: hoss20 on February 18, 2015, 05:01:24 AM
What mesh is it or is it a skope you're currently working on? It might be that the art files aren't the ones being referenced in the mesh. For example, the mesh might be using male_basic_lightmap.dds, but the lightmap file in the skin folder is named lightmap.dds. So this way, it looks like all of the art files are present, but they are just named incorrectly.

Yeah, this is the only thing that I could think of.

Cyber Burn

There have been some issues that I've had with the Art Files being named "Whatever.tga", and then the Mesh or Skope refers to a file named "Whatever.dds". FFvt3R will acknowledge the Art Files if they're in TGA Format if the Mesh calls for DDS Format, but not the other way around.

Another issue that I've had, is that a Mesh or Skope may have more than one "Lightmap" File (Male_Basic_Lightmap.tga, and Lightmap.tga).

windblown

I get this too, especially if I select many characters in the rumble room.

In my case I don't think that it's because of the art files because it doesn't happen always to the same mesh pieces or characters.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 18, 2015, 06:06:28 AM
There have been some issues that I've had with the Art Files being named "Whatever.tga", and then the Mesh or Skope refers to a file named "Whatever.dds". FFvt3R will acknowledge the Art Files if they're in TGA Format if the Mesh calls for DDS Format, but not the other way around.

Another issue that I've had, is that a Mesh or Skope may have more than one "Lightmap" File (Male_Basic_Lightmap.tga, and Lightmap.tga).

:doh: Sorry, I typed this in backwards.

FFvt3R will acknowledge the Art Files if they're in DDS Format if the Mesh calls for TGA Format, but not the other way around.

Also, with the Lightmap issue, a Mesh or Skope may use "Male_Basic_Lightmap.tga", but a single piece may use "Lightmap.tga", and if you do not have both of those Lightmap files in your Standard Skin Folder, you may run into Pinking.

AfghanAnt

Thanks guys. I found a thread that Tommyboy started that I think will fix my issue. I won't know until I get home and test it though. :)

Cyber Burn

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 19, 2015, 06:36:15 PM
Thanks guys. I found a thread that Tommyboy started that I think will fix my issue. I won't know until I get home and test it though. :)

If it works, then you absolutely have to post a link. I think Pinking has been one of the major issues that we've all had to face with FFvt3R.

AfghanAnt

Tommyboy's writeup plus some additional testing I think I solved the issue. I just need to send the skopes over to someone for testing. It makes me want to go back and change all of my work though. :/

AfghanAnt

Here's the link.  http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=49604.5;wap2

While Tommyboy doesn't state it here I assessed from his observations that if you renamed all the tgas to be different from other meshes (ie don't have multiple meshes with the same texture name), no more random pinking. I tried it with my Brotherhood meshes which were all pinking, non no problem at all in character tool or in-game.

It is tedious, but it works. :)

Cyber Burn

Awesome, I've been planning on re-doing all of my "Hand Ninja" Skopes, so when I do, I'll give this a try. Thank you AA.  :thumbup:

Outcast

I had that same theory. Thinking Character Tool got confused with all the tga files mostly pointing to male_basic or female_basic. By giving each mesh a unique tga file name, i've noticed it helped. I wanted to post about it here. But i wasn't really confident about it. It is tedious work considering all the meshes available.

Well, i still have doubts about whether it truly solves it. I'm thinking someone would come point out the ridiculousness of the idea.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Outcast on February 21, 2015, 10:50:00 AM
I had that same theory. Thinking Character Tool got confused with all the tga files mostly pointing to male_basic or female_basic. By giving each mesh a unique tga file name, i've noticed it helped. I wanted to post about it here. But i wasn't really confident about it. It is tedious work considering all the meshes available.

Well, i still have doubts about whether it truly solves it. I'm thinking someone would come point out the ridiculousness of the idea.

It sounds ridiculous but every new skope I've done this with is now fixed when they were pinking previously.

Outcast

Yeah. I know it works though. Just thought other people might not have the patience for such a solution.

When i saw hoss posted something about lightmaps, i thought maybe he or other people knew a better solution for it. So i just waited to see what it could be.