News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

odnd solo

Started by bearded, March 11, 2015, 05:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

Due to my recent issues, I have been slow to get back into programming. What I have created is a simple dice roller. I have a virtual table set up with a character sheet and a spot for virtual minis. I am going to add in a "Magic 8 Ball" style DM. The dice rolling is actually based on 3d physics, not random number generation. The dice physically bump into the books, dm screen, and minis on the table. They can even roll off the table!
Now, this is going to be a fully playable game, but not crunchy at all. It is more of a solo rpg assistant. You roll dice and fill out your character sheet manually for example.
I am going to have a simple dungeon generator, similar to the one in the 1rst edition DMG.
Does this sound interesting to anyone here? Anyone want to playtest?
Here is an image of the actual ingame play. I made all the models for it, so far.

bearded

What I want to create is something totally self contained that keeps track of everything and saves it for full on campaigns. There will be a "notes" section that is used for interpretations of the virtual DM rulings, something like the virtual GM from Mythic.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/20798/Mythic-Game-Master-Emulator?it=1

hoss20

I would be interested, my friend. I can't promise that I'll be able to devote all of the time necessary. I have my own little project that I am working on. This looks very cool, though, and I've always enjoyed the concept of a dungeon generator. Your "dice-rolling table" looks like a lot of fun.

Deaths Jester

If it weren't for the fact I'm contemplating getting out of the RPG biz due to the constant GamerGate attacks on ppl I respect and look out for, I'd be interested. Actually, if you get a good beta going Bearded, I could point it out to folks like Zak Smith so you could get thier input.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

bearded

hey DJ.
What is a GamerGate, and who is a Zak Smith?  :D
I'm having a lot of fun making it. It's going to end up being everything you need for a solo rpg game, keeping track of your game with an editable txt file. My basic idea is a totally different sort of pc game. Less crunchy, more squishy game play.

I tried googling GamerGate, and I still don't understand.

bearded

Quote from: hoss20 on March 12, 2015, 04:39:05 PM
I would be interested, my friend. I can't promise that I'll be able to devote all of the time necessary. I have my own little project that I am working on. This looks very cool, though, and I've always enjoyed the concept of a dungeon generator. Your "dice-rolling table" looks like a lot of fun.
it is fun! I am going to perfect the dice rolling and character sheet setup, do you want a download?

hoss20

Quote from: bearded on March 16, 2015, 05:47:51 PM
Quote from: hoss20 on March 12, 2015, 04:39:05 PM
it is fun! I am going to perfect the dice rolling and character sheet setup, do you want a download?

I would love a download. I think that one thing that might differentiate this from the source of the negativity that Deaths Jester mentioned is the fact that this is a supplement to the old pen and paper rpg and not a stand alone game, correct?

By the way, I was able to find this regarding Gamergate: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamergate_controversy
I realize that something on a Wiki page may be slanted to one view view, but it gives a pretty disturbing rundown of what this is all about. More than anything, it comes across as the sad state of society and current behavior, but represented in the internet/video game medium. With that statement, I certainly don't mean to minimize what has gone on with this situation, either.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: bearded on March 16, 2015, 01:09:15 PM
hey DJ.
What is a GamerGate, and who is a Zak Smith?  :D
I'm having a lot of fun making it. It's going to end up being everything you need for a solo rpg game, keeping track of your game with an editable txt file. My basic idea is a totally different sort of pc game. Less crunchy, more squishy game play.

I tried googling GamerGate, and I still don't understand.

:doh: Sorry, thought you knew what was going on and who Zak Smith was.  Forgot which board/group of folks I was addressing there for a minute. Used to talking about D&D to a bunch of RPG guys that are in the industry.

Deaths Jester

Also forgot to mention that in the basic idea, Hoss is kinda right about. However the pen and paper world has had a major run of these trollers/liars washing up in the past year or two. It is just not as talked about because some of the trolls are high ranking within the game industry. It is hard to explain if your not very much a part of that industry/community.

bearded

I looked up Zak Smith, and realized I have seen some of his videos. Very entertaining. He is a good DM.

It is going to be/already is a supplement. If you know basic dnd rules fairly well, you won't even need books beside you, but optimally, you will want rules to go along with it. It will be super easy to set it up to play with other tabletop rule sets. There are so many rpg's out there these days, this will be able to set up and play them.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: bearded on March 18, 2015, 03:21:17 PM
I looked up Zak Smith, and realized I have seen some of his videos. Very entertaining. He is a good DM.

Zak is also an award winning adventure/campaign writer in the RPG .  He works for an indie group that I would love to be able to work for but I'm sticking freelance right now.

Deaths Jester

Hell, put me down for a dl and I'll see what type a play test I can run it through.