News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

male_basic Left Clavicle

Started by SickAlice, April 05, 2015, 01:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SickAlice

For as long as worked with them I've always had an issue with the area around the Left Clavicle of an male basic based mesh. When bringing in a new body, regardless of whether that's another conformed male basic, a female I'm weighting to a male (which will be the case in the example) or an odd mesh I've always ended up with an issue where some of the coordinates stick and drag. Usually it doesn't show enough in game or I can futz with the model enough to make it acceptable though I've always wondered if there's a solution to this? Here's an example of something I'm working on right now:

This will be Marvel Comic's Proxima Midnight when it's finished. Obviously some more areas need work like the thumbs for example. This is originally the body from INK's She-Hulk. I deformed that 3d model in a program while having it stand inside the male basic from Gren's Zivon. In other words I reshaped the female mesh until it lined up with the male one. I then weighted it to the original and dropped the new body into the Zivon nif.

The first image is in idle just for comparisons sakes. The second is picking up an object. If there's a flaw in a mesh and you want to know where it is I say that's the go to animation to find it. Now you can see the drag on the upper arm (inside facing breast). If you squint you may see the drag to the same point coming from the breast as well. In the second image I used the land from jump animation. Here you can see the drag from the breast a little clearer. The arm is still dragging as well though given the arms position it's barely noticeable.

So the question of course is what causes this and is there a way to patch it, without 3ds Max 4.whatever or something? Thanks.

Vertex

that looks to be the vertex assignments and weight application being messed up. on both male and female mesh there are certain areas that are assigned to more than one "bone" in the body and when you alter the mesh you scramble those assignments more than any other. no clue how you would fix that in hexing but in max it's easy enough once you're familiar with what should be assigned where.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

SickAlice

It wasn't a hex. I don't have the old version of max like I said.

Vertex

any version of max should be able to do it. I no longer have max or any of the FF stuff because I'm on windows 8.1 (god I wish I could) but you just need to open one of the original max files that you got from irrational and study the vertex assignments. you'll be able to see what's wrong pretty quick then it's simply a matter of reassigning the errant vertexes to where they should be.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

SickAlice

Oh. I didn't really think of that. I use Blender and a few other programs. Max is pretty foreign to me. I only recently convinced the company to buy me a copy (v.9) and I'm not used to it yet. Same for Zbrush this year for that matter, I still regret dropping coin on that instead of Unity. Anyways I've opened a few of the Max files that can be found about the web, like the ones Gren provides but I always get errors. I think it's because I don't have the tool packs?

I do understand what your saying though and know how to do the same thing in Blender. Kind of sort of anyways. I think one selects a group of vertices and the assigned/weighted to bipeds will come up. Then they can be manually changed from there.

Now I went with Ewzzy's Crymsin for Proxima since I'm on a schedule so this is all taken care of. But my thing here is I always have this with male_basic. Not with female_basic, not with your meshes, not Gren's/JP's. Just that mesh and any derivative thereof. So what deductive reasoning is telling me is there's some flaw in the male_basic or at least the male_basic_effects mesh, right? Of course if we look at that mesh though it's fine really. This just happens when borrowing it's weight assignment. So what I'm trying to do is locate the flaw in that mesh so I can create a fixed version to use as a base. Lest I'm going back over anything I weight from it each and every time and wasting time I could be using elsewhere, like towards scultping, skinning and/or keyframing. Naturally this is a constant since I'm frequently matching to male_basic keyframes.

Though as I'm typing this I'm realizing I should just use one of yours for my base since I haven't encountered the error there. I would use one of Gren's but I haven't found any with open fingers in the default position. They all have closed fists and that makes weighting hard of course (usually results in mutated fingers) so I usually scope that model into a male basic and end up with the flaw again.

And 8 doesn't run any of this stuff? Wow, sorry but thanks for the heads up. I'm on 7 so I'm safe. I'll make sure to downgrade when I pick up my next laptop.

hoss20

Quote from: SickAlice on April 11, 2015, 08:59:38 PM
Though as I'm typing this I'm realizing I should just use one of yours for my base since I haven't encountered the error there. I would use one of Gren's but I haven't found any with open fingers in the default position. They all have closed fists and that makes weighting hard of course (usually results in mutated fingers) so I usually scope that model into a male basic and end up with the flaw again.

Check out IG_Fang_Gren or IN_Aireo_Gren. They both have open hands in the default position. Aireo is in sort of a hovering pose in default, but has the fewest "extras". All of Fang's extras, however (hair, claws, belt, etc.) can be removed.

SickAlice

Thanks. I just put Fang on my drive the other day so I'll check it out. The extras aren't a problem. I would be deleting them to make a base anyways which is the goal.

*Edit: Good call on Fang. That mesh is as cumbersome is it gets, what a beauty. You've found my new clean male base, thanks.