News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

What are hero files?

Started by comicstar100, May 27, 2015, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comicstar100

New to Freedom Force and I'm wondering what are hero files. Skins and Meshes seem to make up characters, are hero files their powers? And if so how do I add them to custom mesh's/skins?

spydermann93

Essentially, yes, but Hero Files also include the character's skills and attributes.

Hero Files are a player's interpretation of a character.  Everybody creates their heroes differently, using their favorite meshes and skins to bring their characters to life, in-game.

Hero Files can be created using the in-game character creator, or you can use Alex's EZHero Tool, v3.4.  If you're asking how to modify other players' hero files to fit other meshes, then the Hero Tool is necessary as the in-game character creator doesn't allow you to change a character's mesh.

Also, WELCOME TO FREEDOM REBORN! :D

detourne_me

Another cool way to think of it is like Hero Files are recipes. Skins, Meshes, and FX are the ingredients, and the hero file ties them all together to make a nice character.

Spyder was right in saying that everyone makes them differently. Some people like to load up their heroes with every power under then sun, while others prefer simple heroes with 3-4 powers. Some people strive for comic accurate files, while others strive for balanced gameplay.

Really, hero files are the first step you can make to make the game truly yours.

comicstar100

Thank you guys for the info but I'm still a bit confused. Currently I downloaded Superman off Freedom Universe, his skin/mesh and hero file. I added him to the character folder for the game. I can select Superman but I have to all his powers individually, I thought the hero file added abilities to him?

Jimaras8

For the hero file to add the powers instantly in game you will have to open it via Ez Hero. If the hero file is designed for a specific mesh/skin and you have that on the custom folder the only thing you need to check is the mesh path in the right corner of EzHero. If the path is set to the folder and the mesh you want it to press the "send to dat" option on the top bar. The hero file will be written in the characters.dat of the game or as we call it, the hero is now "branded".

Amazo Version 2.2

questions

are you playing  :ff: or  :ffvstr:?

Quote from: comicstar100 on May 27, 2015, 08:18:30 PM
I can select Superman but I have to all his powers individually, I thought the hero file added abilities to him?

when you say "powers" do you mean the visible fx? like with superman, if you try him in game, can you see his heat vision?

theres also a "send to text" feature on the ezhero tool, can you do that for the superman file? maybe if we see what you see, someone can help you out better
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

comicstar100

Well I mean both. I have the EZ Hero tool but don't know how to use it. I uploaded the skin/mesh and I chose abilities and attributes that were already in the game to something as close as superman as could get. But I'm assuming there is a way to already have their attributes/effects etc preloaded. I'm guessing that has to do with hero files.  I'm playing Freedom Force Vs The 3rd Reich

-abilities I gave him

-attributes

Cyber Burn

Welcome to Freedom Reborn Comicstar100. When you set up Superman's Powers, Stats, and Attributes, and save what you have done, then you have created a Hero File.

For a little more information on Hero Files, check out Alex's Freedom Fortress: http://www.alexff.com/faq.php#8._Whats_a_Hero_file

Also, for a pre-made Hero File for Superman, look here: http://freedomforceuniverse.com/Hero_Files/dc%20comics/superman.html

Hopefully, this will help you out a bit, but this is a great Forum, so always feel free to ask questions.

hoss20

Welcome to the forums, Comicstar. I think everyone might be throwing a bit too much information at you to start off. You mentioned that you had downloaded the Superman hero file along with the mesh/skin. You will need to place this hero file in the proper folder in order to view it in the game's character editor. What version of the game are you using (CD install, Steam download, etc) and what operating system do you have?

As an example, I'm using a CD install on Windows 7. The custom hero files are found here: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

Before placing the downloaded hero file here, you may want to change the name of the Superman hero file that you have already created to avoid one overwriting the other.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: hoss20 on May 28, 2015, 12:16:45 AM
Before placing the downloaded hero file here, you may want to change the name of the Superman hero file that you have already created to avoid one overwriting the other.

:doh: I don't know how I overlooked that. Definitely back up anything you make changes to, regardless of what it is.

comicstar100

Thank you for guys for the help. I've downloaded a few mesh's and hero files from the freedom universe website, they all seem to be working fine. I'm curious do I always have to use the specific skin listed with that specific hero file? I see plenty of other Mesh and skins I could try but I don't see hero files for them.

spydermann93

Quote from: comicstar100 on May 28, 2015, 04:37:45 AM
Thank you for guys for the help. I've downloaded a few mesh's and hero files from the freedom universe website, they all seem to be working fine. I'm curious do I always have to use the specific skin listed with that specific hero file? I see plenty of other Mesh and skins I could try but I don't see hero files for them.

With the EZHero Tool, you can change the mesh of a hero file to suit your needs. Then all you will have to do is go into the character creator in-game and modify the character's abilities as you see fit!

You could also do this in the EZHero Tool itself. That's what it's built for :P

Also, remember that you don't need to find hero files for every mesh.  The beauty of Freedom Force is that you can create your own! When making a new character, where the drop down menu says "Built-in", click the drop down menu and select "Custom".  There you will find all of the meshes that you've downloaded and added to the game.

From there, you can add attributes and powers to your characters and build them however you wish.

comicstar100

Thanks for the help, ezhero tool works great. Another question I had, I've noticed the hero files I've downloaded have powers that don't seem to be in the game when I create a character from scratch. Are they the same powers normally in the game just renamed?

Shogunn2517

Yeah dude, don't worry about the questions.  We all have them and most of us have been playing for well over a decade.

That said, I suppose it should be checked to see if you're actually playing FREEDOM FORCE VS THE THIRD REICH... Or, the mod, FFX 3.  Which, please correct me if I'm wrong guys, technically is a different game than simply Freedom Force vs The Third Reich.  FFX 3.3 is for all intent and purposes a Mod of FFvTTR, which I suppose could also be considered much like an expansion of the original game(FFvTTR) itself.  Without it, if you're just playing FFvTTR then some of the ATTRIBUTES will not work in game and many of the power effects are not in the game.  I can't say for certain(I generally do not download Hero Files), but it's possible you might be using Hero Files which have been made using FFX.  If that is the case, you would have to make sure you have downloaded and use FFX 3 as your main game.  IE you will technically no longer be booting up FFvTTR.  However, FFvTTR and FFX 3.3 is technically the same thing, just FFX 3.3 has the attributes and effects to enhance the game the way we like it.*

Simply put, if you're saying that "powers don't seem to be in the game" and you're referring to the "Classic Superhuman" attribute you have on your screenshot or "FFX Hyperbreath" or "Heat Beam" don't look like you think it should look like, that would be because you're playing FFvTTR and not the mod.  Make sure you follow the steps from AlexFF.  Also look at it for any other questions you might have or ask here.  These guys are extremely helpful.  That said, hope this helps you as well.
http://www.alexff.com/faq.php#27._Hmm,_is_there_a_special_order_I_should_be_installing_all_this_stuff_in
http://ffx.freedomforceforever.com/downloads.htm

*Forgive me if any of this is repetitive.

spydermann93

I'm assuming that he means the actual powers.  It seems like comicstar has the FFX 3.3 mod installed since "Classic Superhuman" and "Solar Powered" don't have the errors that they would have if they were attributes that didn't exist, i.e. he didn't install the mod.

To create a custom power, just go to the Powers tab in the character creator, click "Buy", select a power type (Melee, Projectile, Beam, etc.) and click on any power in the list (it does not matter).

Click "Next" and then you'll be brought up to the power menu were you can modify powers and abilities in any way that you wish.  Make Batman be able to kick apart entire buildings! Make Spider-Man dodge every attack ever! The choice is yours!

comicstar100

Some of the animations for the powers have nothing there. I'm playing FFX 3 and any animation under FX_Aff has nothing showing up.

spydermann93

Quote from: comicstar100 on May 31, 2015, 05:01:40 AM
Some of the animations for the powers have nothing there. I'm playing FFX 3 and any animation under FX_Aff has nothing showing up.

Did you make sure to install Alex's EZFX before installing FFX?  During the installation of FFX, it should say that it detects Alex's EZFX and that it will implement them into the mod.

If you don't know if you installed EZFX before FFX, then just reinstall FFX, again.  That will fix it up.

SickAlice

Something that's helped me from the start is to find that hero file directory on my hard drive and make a shortcut to it right in the Irrational Games folder. That way I didn't have to go track down the hero file directory each time and have everything in one place. Good luck getting to know the ins and outs. It took me awhile to get a few things down but that ends up part of the fun of this game. It's like this kit that you keep building and building. Like others will tell you there's really never been a game engine quite like it. In the end you can end up making anything you can imagine with this. Have fun and welcome to the Freedom Force world.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on May 31, 2015, 03:07:20 PM
Something that's helped me from the start is to find that hero file directory on my hard drive and make a shortcut to it right in the Irrational Games folder. That way I didn't have to go track down the hero file directory each time and have everything in one place. Good luck getting to know the ins and outs. It took me awhile to get a few things down but that ends up part of the fun of this game. It's like this kit that you keep building and building. Like others will tell you there's really never been a game engine quite like it. In the end you can end up making anything you can imagine with this. Have fun and welcome to the Freedom Force world.

I actually have a Shortcut on my Desktop for my Hero Files. Saves me a lot of grief when adding ones I get from other people.

Shogunn2517

Where is it located exactly?

Would hate to lose all these files again.

spydermann93

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 01, 2015, 06:19:20 PM
Where is it located exactly?

Would hate to lose all these files again.

Typically in a place like this: C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich\Custom\Heroes

I know the pain of losing a bunch of hero files.  I now make sure I back up my files regularly.

comicstar100

I'm having an issue with ezhero ever since I switched from using  :ffvstr: on disc to steam. for whatever reason when I select a herofile and Mesh and send to data it doesn't seem to link it to my game.

spydermann93

Reinstalling the tool is the quickest way to fix that :)

comicstar100

Huh looks like any heroes I send to data in ez hero now show up under heroes rather than custom. How would I change that? Also is there a way to convert hero files from  :ff: to  :ffvstr:?

hoss20

Using Send to Dat isn't a necessary step. It all depends on what you like to do with your game, mods, or Rumble Room sessions. If you want a hero to be selectable in-game or in a mod, then using Send to Dat is needed. Otherwise, just leaving them as custom heroes works fine. Whatever you decide, your custom heroes should be still be selectable under the Custom tab.With previous testing I had done for EZHero and the Send to Dat function, I never had my custom heroes disappear from the Custom tab.

Regarding your second question,  :ff: hero files can be saved as  :ffvstr: in the EZHero editor. When you open a hero file, it should show what game it was created for in the Type window that's right above the Skin window. Just use the Save As button to save it to the game type that you want.