Rut roh, Raggy: Windows 10 not playing nicely with FFX/FFvTTR

Started by El1jahSnowFan, July 29, 2015, 09:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El1jahSnowFan

I got Windows 10, and it works nicely, has some good stuff, but even with taking it through Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 and XP, FFX and FFvTTR are not working through my Steam-based version. I'm not too adventurous, so I didn't go through additional testing

Not freaking out because it's the first day, and I've already gotten so many man-hours of fun out of this game, if this is the end of the line, then that's just the way it is

But hopefully, a fix is possible -- it appears to be DirectX related, which isn't that surprising

Just wanted to put that out there for anyone who might be looking to take the Windows 10 plunge soon

ESF

abenavides

Thx for the heads-up. I'm about to upgrade my test laptop. Will see how it goes
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

El1jahSnowFan

Quote from: abenavides on July 29, 2015, 11:05:09 PM
Thx for the heads-up. I'm about to upgrade my test laptop. Will see how it goes

Well, I'll be...I am stunned. This OS might be the real deal

It let FFX crash three times. On the fourth go-round, it walked me through troubleshooting, fired off a message to home base, then self-diagnosed, found a remedy (it downloaded and installed a version of DirectPlay) and it not only booted for Windows 7 Compatibility Mode but also for Windows 10

It crashed in Windows 7 Compatibility mode after I scrolled through a few meshes in the Character screen, so I don't know if the fix will hold up and, of course, I will test further

But I will say this: As someone who has used Windows-based products for 20 years now, I was freaking impressed in how it self-diagnosed and actually moved the needle into potentially making a fix

Hope your install went well!

ESF

El1jahSnowFan

So, an update for anyone who is following along/curious:

FFX will boot. It will allow you to proceed through Watch Mode through the selection of map, then meshes. But it crashes when you attempt to start the simulation

It will also crash randomly during the selection of meshes for viewing, as well

Again, I'm not complaining or anything. Just letting folks know what I'm seeing, in case they are deciding about how they want to proceed

ESF

spydermann93

Is this just the Steam version, or the disk version as well?

El1jahSnowFan

Quote from: spydermann93 on August 01, 2015, 07:53:53 PM
Is this just the Steam version, or the disk version as well?

This is the Steam version. I am curious if it would install/run on the disk version, but even then, I just don't know if FFX would run -- the troubleshooter is indicating that the base program is incompatible, but as you are likely suggesting, but I just don't know enough to hazard an intellectual guess about how Steam is interacting with it

catwhowalksbyhimself

According to Steam users, some Steam games start crashing a lot when Windows 10 is installed.  Doing a reinstall or probably even a repair fixes that issue.  Try that and see if it doesn't work.  It's all the drivers and background software that doesn't always get updated with the Windows 10 version like it should.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Thanks for these posts guys, this is good information to be getting a record of.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Helix

Hmmmm...I'm using Windows 8.1 and FF1 won't play at all. I can get to the the install menu and press play, but the game doesn't start up.

BentonGrey

Helix, are you using the Steam or disc version?  I'm using Steam on my Windows 8 machine, and here's what works for me:

I run the game itself in 98/ME as admin, but I run Steam in XP 3 compatibility mode as admin.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/