News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

open sim

Started by Distorto, July 24, 2015, 01:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Distorto

Does anyone play OpenSim? I was thinking of starting a Superhero Themed Role-play Group or something

It's incredibly versatile as far as modding goes. In fact, all of the editing takes place while other players are around.

The character editor allows you to upload your own uv map textures that other players can see immediately. It also allows you to upload your own models and map objects.
It also features an in game map editor (that allows you to map with other players) using basic 3d shapes like spheres, cylinders, cubes and more.

By now this probably sounds like an advertisement, and normally I'd agree. But in the case of OpenSim, the game and the uploading of custom content is entirely free.

And an the note of roleplaying- does anyone here do it?

kkhohoho

Quote from: Distorto on July 24, 2015, 01:49:09 AM
Does anyone play OpenSim? I was thinking of starting a Superhero Themed Role-play Group or something

It's incredibly versatile as far as modding goes. In fact, all of the editing takes place while other players are around.

The character editor allows you to upload your own uv map textures that other players can see immediately. It also allows you to upload your own models and map objects.
It also features an in game map editor (that allows you to map with other players) using basic 3d shapes like spheres, cylinders, cubes and more.

By now this probably sounds like an advertisement, and normally I'd agree. But in the case of OpenSim, the game and the uploading of custom content is entirely free.

I roleplay. I'm still not really sure what this OpenSim thing is, but I roleplay.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Glitch Girl

I had never heard of Opensim until now.  What I see looks intriguing.

This is what you're referring to, right?  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Distorto

Quote from: Glitch Girl on July 31, 2015, 02:39:29 AM
I had never heard of Opensim until now.  What I see looks intriguing.

This is what you're referring to, right?  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Main_Page

yep that's it! It's totally free to make your own server and add it to other grids.

Glitch Girl

Wow, this is not an easy thing to install. 

Any hints for us non-programmers out there?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Distorto

Quote from: Glitch Girl on July 31, 2015, 03:11:08 PM
Wow, this is not an easy thing to install. 

Any hints for us non-programmers out there?

Well if you download it from there, you will be downloading the assets that make a server.
You will want a sl client viewer, like cool vl viewer, that will allow you to connect any grid (server)

http://sldev.free.fr/

Glitch Girl

Ah, much better.

so this is basically 2nd Life, Open source?  And which grid do you recommend we visit?
-Glitch Girl

Distorto

Quote from: Glitch Girl on August 01, 2015, 02:23:39 AM
Ah, much better.

so this is basically 2nd Life, Open source?  And which grid do you recommend we visit?

I'd recommend osgrid, http://www.osgrid.org/

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 31, 2015, 12:40:17 AM
Quote from: Distorto on July 24, 2015, 01:49:09 AM

I roleplay. I'm still not really sure what this OpenSim thing is, but I roleplay.

Sorry about the late response on this. But basically Open Sim is a free open source version of Second Life. It allows you to upload models/skins/textures/music/scripts/map objects/animations from your computer directly to their server for free, and once you upload it other players can see it ingame(instantly I think). In the normal Second Life you'd have to pay for all of that.