Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  (Read 1326 times)

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
« on: August 16, 2015, 12:58:36 AM »
Announced a few months back, along with a few other potential standalone Star Wars films(films not directly prequels or sequels to the original trilogy.), it has now been announced that the first of these movies, STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE not only has a cast but principal photography has begun.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-the-daring-mission-has-begun-cast-and-crew-announced

Now while I'm happy to see a continued use of the license, especially in film, it's a little bittersweet.  As I understand it, the movie is about the mission to steal the Death Star plans.  However, I grew up with Kyle Kattarn and his Dark Forces mission and other such stories.  I always envisioned a universe where so many stories can live side by side across different types of media.  I was one of those hardcore sticklers for continuity.  Now it kinda feels like a part of my childhood is being written off.

But if they put as much effort in the filming as they did the casting, I can't complain that much. I can just so easily see Mads Mikkelson in an Imperial uniform.  Dude looks like he was born to wear one.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:48:52 AM by Shogunn2517 »

Offline Distorto

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 01:32:51 AM »
That photograph looks like its something straight out of a video game.

Offline Talavar

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:59:58 PM »
I'm pretty interested in this movie, maybe more so than for Episode VII.  From how it's being described  -the Dirty Dozen in space- it'll be interesting to see this kind of different take on a Star Wars movie.

As for the Expanded Universe, well, it died, and I do not mourn it.  Its continuity was already a mess, it already didn't line up with the films since the prequels came along, and the good bits were drowned in a sea of mediocre to bad tie-ins.  Of course, Disney is immediately making the same mistake, by creating a new Expanded Universe, and claiming that everything will be canon. 

Offline JeyNyce

• TEKMASTER
  • Moderators
  • Respect the TEK
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Marvel and Disney is pretty much re-writing the Star Wars cannon.  Everything that you read in the Dark Horse comics, never happen.  I'm not sure about the books.  I only want two things to remain:  Boba Fett  survives and Han & Leia have their kids.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
This is it...  for real this time.

https://youtu.be/Wji-BZ0oCwg

Offline Talavar

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »

Oh, that works for me so much.  The base on Yavin 4, Original Trilogy everything--I can't wait!

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:41:42 PM »
Wow! That looks really cool! :blink:

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »

Oh, that works for me so much.  The base on Yavin 4, Original Trilogy everything--I can't wait!

I'm just saying though... Mom Mothma?!  I actually had to look up whether they found the same actress and if she looked the exact same she looked 33 years ago to play her again. It's the same actress that played Mom Mothma, but from III not VI. But wow, that is spot on!

Couple other things I picked up I'd like to see more about:

Imperial Royal Guards... Will Ian McDiarmid have a role? Grand Admiral in white?  Any other characters from the OT?

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 01:26:45 AM »
I wasn't sure how interested I was in this movie, but after watching the trailer, I gotta admit it looked pretty cool. Some of the characters though (such as Forest Whitaker) didn't quite look like they were from Star Wars, but I if I think of old expanded universe characters there's a bit more range and diversity there than the films.
"I believe what doesn't kill you simply makes you....stranger."
~The Joker, The Dark Knight.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 01:54:36 AM »
Well, I'm more interested in this than in the main films after the first was such a plot-holey mess (fun though it was).  I have to say, I love that this is going to be set during OT.  That's really exciting.  I have more or less zero interest in the new stuff, but I'd love to see some classic adventures.  Also, I thought for a moment that the girl's name was Jan Ors.  I'm more than a little sad that it isn't.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »
Wasn't sure what to expect from this but the trailer looks really cool. You can kind of tell the creators are having fun playing with the classic toys.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Spade

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:24 AM »
On the other hand...Gareth Edwards.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 06:38:31 PM »
Here's a casting update... and confirmation of another original trilogy character appearing in R1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Talavar

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »
Here's a casting update... and confirmation of another original trilogy character appearing in R1:

Just to be clear, this is not confirmation of an original trilogy character, this is a rumour of same.  Confirmation would need to come from official sources, not a movie scoop/rumour website.  It seems quite likely to me, but still a rumour until Lucasfilm confirms it, or someone sees a final cut of the film.

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 07:49:42 PM »
Darth Vader has now been officially confirmed.

In addition, Forest Whitaker will be playing a character from the Clone Wars cartoon, which is the first solid proof that it really is part of the canon as Disney insisted that it was.  He will be playing Saw Gerrera.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

speakingofgeek.freedomforceforever.com

Offline Podmark

• >tt<
    • Hero Force
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:53 AM »
Darth Vader has now been officially confirmed.

In addition, Forest Whitaker will be playing a character from the Clone Wars cartoon, which is the first solid proof that it really is part of the canon as Disney insisted that it was.  He will be playing Saw Gerrera.

Cool!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 01:05:43 AM »
Interesting that Vader is going to be in it.  I'm curious how they'll do that.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 01:28:06 AM »
Kind of on topic, had anyone ever read "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", a Star Wars novel by Alan Dean Foster? It is kind of a "lost tale" between movies, and may have originally intended to be canon. I ask because Darth Vader is in it (and it was the first time we learned that Darth was a cyborg).

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 01:34:08 AM »
Yeah, a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far away?), I read it.  It's rather a weird book, if I remember correctly.  You know, the Rogue Squadron books would make a good series.  They could actually work as a TV series, a-la Babylon 5.
God Bless

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2016, 06:21:44 PM »
Yeah, I read it quite a few years ago. It felt like an early Star Wars tie-in from before they got some of the important details down, kinda like the Marvel Star Wars comic runs.

Offline daglob

• Da Glob
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
Yeah, I read it quite a few years ago. It felt like an early Star Wars tie-in from before they got some of the important details down, kinda like the Marvel Star Wars comic runs.

I read an article recently that said that your take on it was pretty much what it was.

Offline Talavar

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 04:23:51 AM »
I read it ages ago.  Very old potential spoilers ahead:

Offline daglob

• Da Glob
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 04:36:14 AM »
Seems like it. I haven't read it since it came out, and it's in a box in another room along with the rest of my life.

Offline Silver Shocker

• The Shining Savior
  • Better Call Saul!
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
Yep. I was reading about it on Wookiepedia a few years ago.

Offline Talavar

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 12:45:13 PM »
New Rogue One trailer was released during the Olympics last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

I am liking the look of this!

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 09:33:39 AM »
Wow.  It's been nearly three hours since I saw this movie and I'm still in awe and care barely even put words together about how much I freaking enjoyed watching that movie.  It just got better and better with every scene.

As I watched it I couldn't help but to say to myself that THIS is why I loved Star Wars!

I am DEFINITELY seeing this AGAIN some point this weekend and likely once more during the week.  As a HUGE fan of the franchise and practically EVERYTHING in it, I would always say I'd never put one movie over another, that it's like saying who's your favorite child.  Well, this is it!  I didn't expect it to be, but it's better than Empire(though Empire may hold up far longer), definitely more enjoyable than The Force Awakens.  It's just the "Classic Era" is just IRREPLACEABLE as what is tangibly STAR WARS and this is all of it in spades!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:57:05 AM by Shogunn2517 »

Offline Shogunn2517

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2016, 09:52:51 AM »
Also semi-spoiler material from Star Wars Rebels, which also made it's way into Rogue One:

Offline Glitch Girl

• ERROR: Title not found
  • Titans
  • If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2016, 02:05:47 PM »
Saw it last night.  Wow.

It is a much darker take on the SW universe, and the ending is both dark and hopeful, but I enjoyed it.  There's a bit of humor sprinkled throughout, mostly from K2SO's "I don't give a damn" attitude.  It looked amazing, and yes, if you've been getting a 7 Samurais vibe off of it, you're not far off. 

It also integrates well into the SW universe.  The audience I was with would react every time they saw something that had even small significance to ANH and the other films.  THIS is how you do a prequel.

Spoilers below:

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because itís the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2016, 10:35:29 PM »
Well,

I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

speakingofgeek.freedomforceforever.com

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »