Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story  (Read 1400 times)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2016, 01:54:07 AM »
I'm glad to hear positive responses to this film.  I was left pretty cold by the last one, and I didn't hold out much hope for this one.  I would love to see a real Star Wars movie.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline spydermann93

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 02:39:10 AM »
THIS is how you do a prequel.

You mean a sequel to the prequels of the originals that are sequels to the prequels of this film?

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »
I stand corrected then.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

speakingofgeek.freedomforceforever.com

Offline Talavar

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2016, 05:55:09 PM »
I wonder if this will finally kill the "Disney is going to make Star Wars too soft and gentle" refrain that keeps making the rounds. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 06:10:14 AM »
Now THAT was a Star Wars movie!

We just got back from Rogue One, and it was extremely good.  My non-spoiler-y thoughts are below:

It's a great adventure film and a very respectable Star Wars movie.  From the story to the characters, from the visuals to the action, from the sounds to the props and costuming, it was every inch a Star Wars film, achieving what The Force Awakens failed to achieve.  It recaptured the magic that hasn't been conjured since Return of the Jedi.

I didn't think I'd see this in my lifetime.  I thought that our course was set with the slipshod example of Awakens, and I am very, very glad to be wrong. 

This movie captures the archetypal power of the original films, not as successfully and not as universally, but it does tap into the same Ur myths. 

The action is spectacular and beautifully captured, and, most importantly to me, it FEELS right.  While Awakens felt like a very expensive fan film, full of fancy effects, but ultimately made by someone who didn't quite understand how the universe they were trying to inhabit worked, this one brought the motion, the reality of the original films back to the screen.

The characters were interesting and compelling, and they had a wonderfully varied cast, with a lot of humor and chemistry.  Unfortunately, the cast was so large that a several of the characters didn't get much development.  If they were purer archetypes, that would be less important, but that isn't the case.  Luckily, the characters had so MUCH chemistry that several scenes worked despite that lack of development.

It wasn't a perfect film.  It suffered from the same problem as most modern blockbusters, trying to fit too much in one movie.  There are several characters whose arcs seem to leap ahead, reaching emotional and dramatic turning points that hadn't quite been earned.  There were also a few concepts that needed a bit more fleshing out, especially the back story of the two temple guardians. Who they were and what they were doing was really unclear.  Still, they were interesting enough characters, even without being entirely realized. 

Be warned, though, it is a fairly dark film.  It has a grimness like that of Empire, but even more so.  Think hard before bringing young kids to see it.  This is not A New Hope or Jedi.  It is the grittiest Star Wars film yet.

Despite its flaws, Rogue One is absolutely worth watching, especially if you're a Star Wars fan, and there are some wonderful surprises and Easter Eggs in the movie for adherents of the series. 

There are now FOUR Star Wars movies.

Some spoiler-y thoughts:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:25:36 AM by BentonGrey »
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:16 AM »
BG,

You ever run a red light or speed past a cop and you see the cop and you're pretty sure he sees you but you make a few quick turns to cover your tracks thinking you've escaped your ticket but the cop finds you anyway?  You get pulled over, make excuses to cover up your illegal act but the cop doesn't buy it.... that's how I looked at your #2.

But good points though.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2016, 04:17:08 AM »
Is anyone else troubled by the constant commercials for kids' toys based on Rogue One?  This is really not much of a kids movie, and:

I'm sure it's not going to scar anyone beyond repair, but it's a bit weird.
God Bless

Offline Talavar

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2016, 04:23:58 AM »
Is anyone else troubled by the constant commercials for kids' toys based on Rogue One?  This is really not much of a kids movie, and:

I'm sure it's not going to scar anyone beyond repair, but it's a bit weird.

Definitely a bit weird.  There's all the usual action figures, lego sets, etc.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2016, 05:03:10 AM »
Yeah, and the commercials have:

That's just...creepy.
God Bless

Offline Spade

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2016, 06:31:54 AM »
Well,selling toys is where the real money is,so no surprise there.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2016, 03:55:47 AM »
I saw it last weekend and quite liked it. I would call it a solid movie with a very strong ending. It didn't have the highs of The Force Awakens, but I think it was a more consistent film.
The characters weren't quite as memorable than any of the previous films. I think part of that might be the limited humour and more serious tone - so I didn't feel I got as many memorable moments with much of the cast. K-2SO and Chirrut were the stand out characters for me - I'm sure I'll be repeating Chirrut's catch phrase whenever I need some luck.

A very nice addition. I hope Disney keeps this up.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline Glitch Girl

• ERROR: Title not found
  • Titans
  • If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2016, 05:36:19 AM »
Benton: RE - the battle thing

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because itís the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Offline Spade

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »
Okay,now just to pick a fight with everyone;it was bad.Okay,not as horribly derivative as TFA,but it was bad.Sure Darth Vader is awesome and ships explode,but you have to get there.Characters are bland and emotionless,which is a good thing
Grud,it takes them 20 freaking minutes to explain what the funting Death Star is.Crazy thought,ASSUME people have watched New freaking Hope!Your audience knows what the funt Death Star is.And CGI actors have scarred me for life.Didn't know CGI can be that bad.
Remember Edwards Godzilla(I sure tried to forget) where there is no Godzilla and human characters are cardboard cutouts that talk in almost nothing but exposition?Yeah,its the same approach here.And that Darth Vader scene is the only thing that made it remotly worth watching.But too little,way too late.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer