Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Started by Shogunn2517, August 16, 2015, 12:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Announced a few months back, along with a few other potential standalone Star Wars films(films not directly prequels or sequels to the original trilogy.), it has now been announced that the first of these movies, STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE not only has a cast but principal photography has begun.

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-the-daring-mission-has-begun-cast-and-crew-announced

Now while I'm happy to see a continued use of the license, especially in film, it's a little bittersweet.  As I understand it, the movie is about the mission to steal the Death Star plans.  However, I grew up with Kyle Kattarn and his Dark Forces mission and other such stories.  I always envisioned a universe where so many stories can live side by side across different types of media.  I was one of those hardcore sticklers for continuity.  Now it kinda feels like a part of my childhood is being written off.

But if they put as much effort in the filming as they did the casting, I can't complain that much. I can just so easily see Mads Mikkelson in an Imperial uniform.  Dude looks like he was born to wear one.

Distorto

That photograph looks like its something straight out of a video game.

Talavar

I'm pretty interested in this movie, maybe more so than for Episode VII.  From how it's being described  -the Dirty Dozen in space- it'll be interesting to see this kind of different take on a Star Wars movie.

As for the Expanded Universe, well, it died, and I do not mourn it.  Its continuity was already a mess, it already didn't line up with the films since the prequels came along, and the good bits were drowned in a sea of mediocre to bad tie-ins.  Of course, Disney is immediately making the same mistake, by creating a new Expanded Universe, and claiming that everything will be canon. 

JeyNyce

Marvel and Disney is pretty much re-writing the Star Wars cannon.  Everything that you read in the Dark Horse comics, never happen.  I'm not sure about the books.  I only want two things to remain:  Boba Fett  survives and Han & Leia have their kids.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Shogunn2517

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on April 07, 2016, 12:17:33 PM
This is it...  for real this time.

https://youtu.be/Wji-BZ0oCwg

Oh, that works for me so much.  The base on Yavin 4, Original Trilogy everything--I can't wait!

spydermann93

Wow! That looks really cool! :blink:

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Talavar on April 07, 2016, 02:15:36 PM
Quote from: Shogunn2517 on April 07, 2016, 12:17:33 PM
This is it...  for real this time.

https://youtu.be/Wji-BZ0oCwg

Oh, that works for me so much.  The base on Yavin 4, Original Trilogy everything--I can't wait!

I'm just saying though... Mom Mothma?!  I actually had to look up whether they found the same actress and if she looked the exact same she looked 33 years ago to play her again. It's the same actress that played Mom Mothma, but from III not VI. But wow, that is spot on!

Couple other things I picked up I'd like to see more about:

Imperial Royal Guards... Will Ian McDiarmid have a role? Grand Admiral in white?  Any other characters from the OT?

Silver Shocker

I wasn't sure how interested I was in this movie, but after watching the trailer, I gotta admit it looked pretty cool. Some of the characters though (such as Forest Whitaker) didn't quite look like they were from Star Wars, but I if I think of old expanded universe characters there's a bit more range and diversity there than the films.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Well, I'm more interested in this than in the main films after the first was such a plot-holey mess (fun though it was).  I have to say, I love that this is going to be set during OT.  That's really exciting.  I have more or less zero interest in the new stuff, but I'd love to see some classic adventures.  Also, I thought for a moment that the girl's name was Jan Ors.  I'm more than a little sad that it isn't.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Podmark

Wasn't sure what to expect from this but the trailer looks really cool. You can kind of tell the creators are having fun playing with the classic toys.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

On the other hand...Gareth Edwards.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Here's a casting update... and confirmation of another original trilogy character appearing in R1:

Spoiler
Darth Vader.  He may not be the main villain, but he will have a role.  While originally rumored that Hayden Christensen would be reprising his (in armor) role of Darth Vader, it will be now played by Spencer Wilding, who has a history of playing "henchmen" or mo-cap doubles including White Walkers in Game of Thrones, Kilowog in Green Lantern and Peter Quill's Walkman thief in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Though not confirmed, I can't imagine James Earl Jones not reprising his vocal role that he filled in Episode III and through his 4 episodes in Rebels.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/04/star-wars-exclusive-rogue-ones-darth-vader-casting-revealed/

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on April 11, 2016, 06:38:31 PM
Here's a casting update... and confirmation of another original trilogy character appearing in R1:

Spoiler
Darth Vader.  He may not be the main villain, but he will have a role.  While originally rumored that Hayden Christensen would be reprising his (in armor) role of Darth Vader, it will be now played by Spencer Wilding, who has a history of playing "henchmen" or mo-cap doubles including White Walkers in Game of Thrones, Kilowog in Green Lantern and Peter Quill's Walkman thief in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Though not confirmed, I can't imagine James Earl Jones not reprising his vocal role that he filled in Episode III and through his 4 episodes in Rebels.

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2016/04/star-wars-exclusive-rogue-ones-darth-vader-casting-revealed/

Just to be clear, this is not confirmation of an original trilogy character, this is a rumour of same.  Confirmation would need to come from official sources, not a movie scoop/rumour website.  It seems quite likely to me, but still a rumour until Lucasfilm confirms it, or someone sees a final cut of the film.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Darth Vader has now been officially confirmed.

In addition, Forest Whitaker will be playing a character from the Clone Wars cartoon, which is the first solid proof that it really is part of the canon as Disney insisted that it was.  He will be playing Saw Gerrera.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Podmark

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 22, 2016, 07:49:42 PM
Darth Vader has now been officially confirmed.

In addition, Forest Whitaker will be playing a character from the Clone Wars cartoon, which is the first solid proof that it really is part of the canon as Disney insisted that it was.  He will be playing Saw Gerrera.

Cool!
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Interesting that Vader is going to be in it.  I'm curious how they'll do that.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

daglob

Kind of on topic, had anyone ever read "Splinter of the Mind's Eye", a Star Wars novel by Alan Dean Foster? It is kind of a "lost tale" between movies, and may have originally intended to be canon. I ask because Darth Vader is in it (and it was the first time we learned that Darth was a cyborg).

BentonGrey

Yeah, a long, long time ago (in a galaxy far away?), I read it.  It's rather a weird book, if I remember correctly.  You know, the Rogue Squadron books would make a good series.  They could actually work as a TV series, a-la Babylon 5.
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I read it quite a few years ago. It felt like an early Star Wars tie-in from before they got some of the important details down, kinda like the Marvel Star Wars comic runs.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Quote from: Silver Shocker on June 23, 2016, 06:21:44 PM
Yeah, I read it quite a few years ago. It felt like an early Star Wars tie-in from before they got some of the important details down, kinda like the Marvel Star Wars comic runs.

I read an article recently that said that your take on it was pretty much what it was.

Talavar

I read it ages ago.  Very old potential spoilers ahead:
Spoiler
Doesn't it feature Luke (a post-Star Wars Luke, so no jedi training yet) beating Darth Vader in a lightsaber fight?

daglob

Seems like it. I haven't read it since it came out, and it's in a box in another room along with the rest of my life.

Silver Shocker

Yep. I was reading about it on Wookiepedia a few years ago.

Spoiler
Supposedly the spirit of Obi Wan helps Luke defeat Vader.
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

New Rogue One trailer was released during the Olympics last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY

I am liking the look of this!

Shogunn2517

Wow.  It's been nearly three hours since I saw this movie and I'm still in awe and care barely even put words together about how much I freaking enjoyed watching that movie.  It just got better and better with every scene.

As I watched it I couldn't help but to say to myself that THIS is why I loved Star Wars!

Spoiler
First of all, the characters and cameos in this movie were just PACKED!!  I initially thought it was just the few that's been reported, Saw Gerrera, Darth Vader, Bail Organa and Mon Mothma.  And if that were it I would have been like "Oh, that's pretty cool."  But the rumored appearance of Grand Moff Tarkin wasn't just a cameo.  You could tell it was CGI, but it was damn good, it wasn't repetitive lines, but it was completely in-character.  Peter Cushing pretty much got a post-death credit for acting in a 2016 movie.  But more than that we got a cameo from Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba("you best watch yourself/We're wanted men."), Jan Dodanna(played by GoTs Barristan Selmy), C-3PO, R2-D2, Captain Antillies, Jon Vander(Gold Leader) and Garven Dreis(Red Leader) seemlessly cut from ANH and spliced into here.  Lastly and one of those LOL "Oh Shizzle!" moments was the last scene where another CGI'ed Carrie Fisher as Leia getting the last word(can remember if she actually said a new hope or just hope), which was effectively MOMENTS before Episode IV begins with scenes almost MATCHING the first ones from Star Wars.

Speaking of last scenes, the last 10 minutes with another previously seen character, Darth Vader, which I thought just was going to be a extended cameo with Director Krennic, but his last scene when Tarkin called in the Devastator that smashed the rebel fleet and boarded the rebel frigate and when he tore through an entire squad of rebel soldiers like he had a freaking SW: Battlefront CHEAT CODE was EPPPPPICCCC!!!!!!

As for the rest of the movie, the story was pretty straight forward, Galen Erso the father of Jyn Erso and scientist behind the Death Star built in a flaw("the flaw/chain reaction") and the rebels undertake a mission to retrieve the plans.  Some players play rather minor or introductory roles(Saw Gerrera, who looked nothing like he did from TCW(eyes, hair, hairline, haircut and color, body type, etc), which lead to a similar "fated" meet-up or gathering of a crew Bodhi, Chirruk and Baze.  Some things were rather haphazard of flimsy, but the writing was strong and the last battle on Sarif was massive and pretty intense.  It was one thing to see the rbels storming the beach, but then to come across AT-AT staring dead at them was harrowing!  The showdown with Krennic and Jyn/Cassian wasn't as climatic as I would have thought.  But these are pretty minor gripes.  It was a war!  And when the Rebel fleet arrived(with Red and Gold squadrons) to join the battle was timely and action packed.  I was a bit let down when the Alliance Council decided AGAINST sending an assault, but it ended up being just a handful of soldiers at first.  Additionally, it was a nice touch when Bail Organa and Mon Mothma had the side conversation about the "general he worked with from the Clone Wars" and someone he trusted to take the plans to him.

Overall, it set up Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope PERFECTLY.  Way better than the Prequel trilogy could have done.  And I'm not one to poo-poo the prequels, but there is a 19 year gap.  This bridges that gap.  Gave us more insight on Vader.  More background with Tarkin, the leadership of the Rebel Alliance, the flaw in the Death Star and the battle/victory where they retrieved the plans.  It gave Star Wars fans what Star Wars fans thought they wanted to see from a Star Wars movie.  The styling, the setting, the music, the scope.  Fun and swashbuckling characters, familiar characters, running and gunning from the Empire, comical droids, epic space battles, intense blaster fights, Darth Vader "darthvadering".  Everything!

I am DEFINITELY seeing this AGAIN some point this weekend and likely once more during the week.  As a HUGE fan of the franchise and practically EVERYTHING in it, I would always say I'd never put one movie over another, that it's like saying who's your favorite child.  Well, this is it!  I didn't expect it to be, but it's better than Empire(though Empire may hold up far longer), definitely more enjoyable than The Force Awakens.  It's just the "Classic Era" is just IRREPLACEABLE as what is tangibly STAR WARS and this is all of it in spades!

Shogunn2517

Also semi-spoiler material from Star Wars Rebels, which also made it's way into Rogue One:

Spoiler
The hammerhead corvettes the Lothal/Fulcrum rebels helped Princess Leia steal had a pivotal role in turning the tide of the battle in Rogue One.  Nice touch from those who want to see ever more connected universes!

Glitch Girl

Saw it last night.  Wow.

It is a much darker take on the SW universe, and the ending is both dark and hopeful, but I enjoyed it.  There's a bit of humor sprinkled throughout, mostly from K2SO's "I don't give a damn" attitude.  It looked amazing, and yes, if you've been getting a 7 Samurais vibe off of it, you're not far off. 

It also integrates well into the SW universe.  The audience I was with would react every time they saw something that had even small significance to ANH and the other films.  THIS is how you do a prequel.

Spoilers below:

Spoiler

The biggest surprise though was the appearance of Grand Moff Tarkin.  Or at least a digital version of him who only slightly entered the uncanny valley and I can't quite put my finger on what didn't look right.  Still, he was one of the best digital humans I've seen to date.

There is also a digital Princess Leia that's a little less successful, but is necessary as it ends as a direct lead in to ANH.  And I do mean directly - her ship breaks away from the besieged battleship with Darth Vader about to pursue.

And yes, if my line earlier didn't confirm it, all the main characters die.  Even the droid.  They all go out well, except for the Imperial Commander who's a weaselly character to begin with, but they all die.  So prepare yourself for that.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well,

Spoiler

Mon Mothma flat out says in Episode IV that a large number of people died getting that information, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock.

I am curious how the dead Bothans are addressed though.  Do many Bothans die?
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Shogunn2517

Spoiler
No.  The "Many Bothans died to get this information" was said in Episode VI in reference to the second Death Star, not this one.

No Bothans were harmed in the making of this film.

And it really shouldn't be spoiler material, but this movie is pretty much the first two paragraphs of the opening crawl to the original Star Wars, Episode IV: A New Hope

"It is a period of civil war.  Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.  During the battle Rebel spies managed to steal the secret plans to the Empires ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR..."