News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Updated Driver/Vehicle

Started by TaskMasterX, February 25, 2009, 06:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaskMasterX

I updated the Driver/Vehicle Attribs so that you can merge the vehicle and driver together into a separate template or hero file. So, say you wanted to have Ghost Rider (driver) and Ghost Rider's bike (vehicle) get merged together (Ghost Rider on bike) when Ghost Rider "Enters" his vehicle. This can also be done with horses, and other "vehicles" that you can see the driver riding on top of the vehicle. I used TommyBoy's Ghost Rider mesh and skoped it so that the bike and Ghost Rider are separate meshes. I also skoped the keyframes so that the Ghost Rider on the bike has only animations of him on his bike. So when the mission starts, Ghost Rider is spawned and the bike with no Ghost Rider on it is spawned next to him. When he clicks Enter on the bike, the bike and Ghost Rider are replaced with Ghost Rider on his bike. I've also thought about making a modified version for some other meshes, like JP's Fantasticar. I might be able to get it so that each member of the FF can enter the vehicle and the vehicle can change to show each member as they enter it. Also, TommyBoy has several other meshes (Black Knight on horse, Cap on motorcycle, etc.) that this can be used for. I'm in the process of editting the meshes and maybe TB can upload them to his site if he's interested.

Here's the code for ffx.py. It replaces all the code starting with the line: def initdriver(char,update=0) and ends down at where the code for Spellcaster starts.

The last slot is the name of the hero file or template that the driver and vehicle get merged into.

Champion 2 of 11

And I know this is probably a mute question but could you do this also for the 1st Freedom Force game? :ff:

catwhowalksbyhimself

I can tell you for certain that it wouldn't work at all with customs in  :ff: .  Whether it could work with built ins I'd have to leave to greater minds.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Champion 2 of 11

Wouldn't it work just like the shapeshifter attribute just with another name? :huh:

TaskMasterX

I'm not sure if this can work for :ff: or not. I haven't done anything for :ff:. I learned scripting after :ffvstr: and FFX 3.0. IIRC, the Driver/Vehicle didn't work in FFX2.x and Shapeshifter was iffy. More than likely there's functions being used in the FFX3.x Driver Attrib that don't exist, or exist under a different name in FFX2.x. I'm not sure. Maybe one of the scripters that has more knowledge of FFX2.x can shed some more light on it.

stumpy

I will also defer to people more specifically familiar with the coding of this attribute.

What I will say with some confidence is that it would be a major task to write the attribute as drop-in code for FFX 2.x (the kind where someone can just post it here and someone pastes it into their ffx.py). For example, the code above makes calls to modules that were not standard in FFX before 3.0. Also, shape-changing in FFX 3+ makes extensive use of teleportation calls, which, in turn, make extensive use of marker spawning, which wasn't available in the original FF.

So, even if there was some way a vehicle / driver attribute were possible for the first game, it would be a pretty serious pain and not just a rewrite of the code in FFX 3+.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Mystik

does anyone have the code for this?

BentonGrey

Necropost, I'm afraid, but I want to know if this code exists anywhere.  Way back when I was talking to SOMEONE about this exact thing for the DCUG.  I wanted Robin to be able to summon his bike.  Now I'd rather like for the Black Knight to be able to summon his horse in the Marvel mod.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

yell0w_lantern

I made a ffxmulti
['driver_yl','summoner1','ffqgestalt'],
Yellow Lantern smash!

SickAlice

On my test map and character I have a custom summon minion. To make sure he's in play he's built into the map, in my case he's in a locked cage and can't interact with anything. When I summon him the one in the cage is just moved/teleported into play. I played with that a little further by hiding him inside a wall. In that way he couldn't move and the player would never see him creating the illusion he didn't exist until I wanted to summon him.

So in the case of a vehicle or a pony or something you could use the Shapeshift attribute in this manner as well. But that of course wouldn't look right so I'm thinking Amalgam or Gestalt instead. So you would have two distinct versions of the vehicle. One would have no moves but would have the needed attributes to work with the character in Amalgam or Gestalt. It would also have a move radius of 0 so it could not run around on it's own. The second version would look identical but would be the form that the character and vehicle merged into and then of course would have it's own hero file/moveset and/or built in moveset. You'd have to play with the values but I've been having luck with this method myself but maybe any of that will be useful for modders.