New JLA series coming to CN

Started by Glitch Girl, October 06, 2015, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

leaked (thanks to this image of the CN offices) and confirmed elsewhere (sorry lost link).  Due out next year.

http://io9.com/yes-a-new-jla-cartoon-is-definitely-on-its-way-1734930412

My Speculation as to who's who on the poster...

Top Row: Superman, Wonder Woman (with sword & shield), Batman(not sure but I think I see points on the head), Icon (not sure, but the symbol on the chest looks right, could be Martian Manhunter though), unknown

Middle Row: Zatanna, Firestorm, unknown ( maybe John Stewart Green Lantern or a really beefy Flash), Doctor Light (female version, or possibly Batgirl or Bat Woman), unknown

Bottom Row: Hawkwoman (or possibly Hawkman, though seems too thin for that), Captain Marvel (if that's the nu52 hood and a lightning bolt on his chest)

thoughts/speculations?

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Silver Shocker

Pretty cool. I'm happy there's a new Justice League cartoon coming out. I'm hoping it's good. I'm not really expecting it to be as good as Justice League/JLU but if it's connected to Young Justice it very easily could be.

I read a while back that the animated movie JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time was meant to be a pilot for a potential tv series.  This could be derived from those plans.

I'll need more information on who's writing it, who the voice cast will be, and what the characters look like. Then I'll have a better idea what to think of it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

Let's hope it's good!  There's been a real drop off of quality superhero animation the last few years.

BentonGrey

Wow, that is a very, very mixed bag in a very short article. 

Someone other than Clancy Brown playing Lex, the role he defined?  Booooo!
Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill back in the roles they defined?  Yaaaaay!
Weird, childish looking animation style?  Boo...ish.
Some of the Timmverse crew are involved?  Yay!
Wonder Woman with a sword?  Boo!
A wide range of characters implied?  Yay!
Animated versions of the incredibly stupid looking trunks-less designs for Bats and Supes?  Boo!!
Eleven minute episodes?  Whaaaa?  And Booo!  That gives them no time to actually tell stories.  It sounds like it's going to be an extension of the shorts they've been putting out recently.

It's been a while since I read anything that left me with such mixed emotions.  Why does WB hate unalloyed quality?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Glitch Girl

I refuse to judge animation style until I see it in action.

- I was dubious of the original Batman:TAS character designs until I saw it with the backgrounds and animation.  Then I thought it was the most amazing thing I ever saw.
- I initially HATED the character designs for Avengers:EMH until I saw an episode.

Therefor, until I see them moving, I think it's a little too early to judge.

Regarding the 11 minute episodes:  that is a bit more troubling, though not a deal breaker.  Look at Steven Universe. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

GG, I don't disagree, hence my "Boo...ish," which I meant to indicate I wasn't really sure what to think about it.  The stylized animation itself doesn't really bother me as much as the really childish looking faces, but I could easily change my mind once I see it in action.

I'm not familiar with Steven Universe.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 29, 2016, 09:33:59 PM
I'm not familiar with Steven Universe.

You should go fix that.

In all seriousness though, this looks good to me. Yeah, we've got some n52 spillover, but honestly... If we MUST have trunkless superman, the design they've got is easily the best I've seen in terms of color balance. I've seen enough fantastic shows done in cartoony art styles (spectacular spiderman) that the younger looking designs don't bother me.

BentonGrey

I'm perfectly willing to have my mind changed on the animation style, and as I've said on previous shows (JLU, EMH, etc.), animation style, provided the animation itself is good, is probably the least important aspect of a show for me.

What are your thoughts on the other revelations, 'Mato?
God Bless

Tomato

I'm trying to keep myself in the "wait and see" camp for the time being. The 11min episodes is, admittedly, a bit troubling, but as GG points out there are several shows out there already that take the 11 minute formula and are still able to give us amazing stories and character development (Steven Universe being the obvious one to point to). As for the casting... I don't know the VA playing Lex Luthor offhand, but I'm perfectly fine with Bader as Booster Gold. He always felt like a sort of off-brand hero during his run on BatB, so I feel like that works for Booster Gold.

Beyond that... there's not much else to talk about. I like the designs overall, especially the ones in the background of the poster, and there's enough overall talent I'm willing to give it a shot.

BentonGrey

Well, the description also seems to hint at a lack of story or purpose:
QuoteNo need to wait for the good stuff to start, each eleven-minute episode jumps in with lightning-paced action and heroics.

I don't have a problemw ith Bader palying Booster, mostly because I just don't care about Booster all that much, but he strikes me as a poor fit for the character.  Booster's voice should be more...bright, I think.

Anyway, I'll wait and see, but like I said, this announcement seems like a very mixed bag.
God Bless

Talavar

While Conroy and Hamill coming back is heartening, the rest does not give me confidence.  I'd rather they didn't come back if the rest isn't going to live up to their efforts and skill.  11 minute snippets of fighting, without character building or story development?

Panther_Gunn

Sounds like something perfect for a three year old minion.   <_<
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

JeyNyce

It's going to be a mixed bag because they are doing 11 min shorts, but the crew behind the show are from Batman:TAS, Green Lantern:TAS, and some other serious DC shows.  I believe that DC is testing the waters to see which characters are popular and if the people like them enough, they will be transfer over to either TV or be put in the DCMU (DC Movie Universe).  Each show will have the main 3, but a rotating heroes each episode.  I expect the Manhunter to be popular thanks to him being on Super Girl
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

jevian2000

11 minutes isn't a deal breaker for me. AS long as its not like Teen Titans go, it should be alright.

One plus is that we will get two shorts per half hour, just like CN does with shows like Robot Chicken and TTG.

I just wish they-CN-would let Dini and co do a show for Adult swim. It would probably be as successful as Venture Brothers or Rock and Morty is.

(not in that same style-just as successful.)

jeff

BWPS

While the animation isn't what I'd choose, I definitely will wait to see it in action. It looks like Spectacular Spider-Man which is the best Marvel cartoon of the century, not in spite of but in large part because of how good the animation was. I think they used the style to get away with a ton of ultra-violent fight scenes that were an absolute joy to watch. I bet this will be sweet.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Shogunn2517

I thought I remembered there being a thread about this show...

Anyway... link with character pics and less of a silhouette.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Batpedia/status/739581564003201026?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Glitch Girl

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a trailer.

And honestly, I REALLY like what I'm seeing.  Batman smiles even!  And Space Cabbie*!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pctd-ThJDOo

(*-who the heck is Space Cabbie????????  All I know is he's in the trailer)

PS: Wheee post 11,111!

-Glitch Girl

daglob

Quote from: Glitch Girl on July 22, 2016, 01:46:40 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a trailer.

And honestly, I REALLY like what I'm seeing.  Batman smiles even!  And Space Cabbie*!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pctd-ThJDOo

(*-who the heck is Space Cabbie????????  All I know is he's in the trailer)

PS: Wheee post 11,111!

[Sigh] Space Cabbie, like Kris KL99, Star Rovers, Space Museum, Star Hawkins & Ilda, and Knights of the Galaxy, is a long-lost SF adventure character from 1950s DC. I was reading reprints of them in the 60s and 70s.

Glitch Girl

I was mostly kidding about the Space Cabbie thing, but you have to admit, they dug deep for that one.
-Glitch Girl

daglob

When they get to Darwin Jones you will know they have hit the bottom. Not that he's bad, it's just that he is that obscure.

It does look interesting. Look at all the characters...

"Go Superman" :lol:

Panther_Gunn

I contend that Brother Power is more obscure.

And I knew who Space Cabbie was, and most of the others you mentioned.  One of our local cable channels (I think) back in the late 70's - early 80's would show classic comics narrated by someone, which is how I got my first look at all of those characters, as well as Ultraa, Sugar & Spike, and the first few issues of Green Lantern (Hal).  It was pretty awesome, and I always looked forward to it but couldn't really find it consistently.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

Okay...I've been curious about this, but we've had so little info, I wasn't sure what to think.  JLU is one of my favorite shows of all time, and this is, of course, my favorite comic universe...so, there's a lot riding on this one for me.  I'd gladly sacrifice a digit to bring JLU back, and though this isn't that, I have to say, it does look good.  The art style looks good in action, and the animation is excellent.  I don't care for some of the character designs, but for the most part, they aren't bad.  I HATE the lack of trunks.  It looks even worse in animation.  Wonder Woman's hair is a bit odd, and Brainiac's head is too goofy.  Still, not bad overall. 

I'm thrilled to hear Batman back as Batman.  And was that Hamill as the Joker?  I also love the range of characters.  Did I see Hawkman, or was that just a random Thanagarian?   I wonder. 

Actually, it looks rather like a more straightforward, JLA centered version of Batman: Brave and Bold, which I would be entirely okay with. 

No Aquaman.  I won't rest easy until I see the Sea King.  If they make another JLA show without him as a major character...it's not like they're trying to push him in their cinematic universe or anything.  :P
God Bless

HarryTrotter

I think that was Hawkman.  :) And Stargirl.And Lobo. <_< I think I saw Swamp Thing there for a moment.
Cross-Media promotion seems to be a thing,so we get Firestorm,Vixen and Green Arrow(he was in an earlier teaser IIRC). Oddly,Flash isn't around.
Yes,Kevin Conroy and Mark Hammil reprise their roles.
At least they remembered Martian Manhunter exists.Unlike a movie universe that will go unnamed.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Glitch Girl

Some additional voice casting:

Yes it's both Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil back as Bats and the Joker.  Also: James Woods as Lex Luthor, Diedrich Bader as Booster Gold, Hannibal Buress is Mister Terrific, P. J. Byrne (aka: Bolin from Legend of Korra) as Firestorm, Patton Oswalt is Space Cabbie, Ken Jeong is Toyman, and Dana Snyder (Master Shake) is Plastic Man.
-Glitch Girl

daglob

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on July 22, 2016, 05:16:28 AM
I contend that Brother Power is more obscure.

And I knew who Space Cabbie was, and most of the others you mentioned.  One of our local cable channels (I think) back in the late 70's - early 80's would show classic comics narrated by someone, which is how I got my first look at all of those characters, as well as Ultraa, Sugar & Spike, and the first few issues of Green Lantern (Hal).  It was pretty awesome, and I always looked forward to it but couldn't really find it consistently.

True, Darwin Jones did have more than two adventures, but The Geek had his own two-issue series. I know, I had them.

Sugar and Spike, Fox and Crow, Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope... Need to make Super-Hip one day.... and Stanley's Monster...

Yeah, I got a glimpse of Swamp Thing and Lobo. The way Brave and Bold wove assorted characters into the "whole" of the series was one thing I enjoyed.

BentonGrey

Hrm...apparently this is an 11 minute "action" series.  I don't care for that at all.  I prefer some actual plot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8TSKZ3J_4I
God Bless

docdelorean88

I wouldnt be surprised if they expanded into more plot once the audience is tuning in week after week.
All in all though im down for this.
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: docdelorean88 on July 25, 2016, 04:26:10 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if they expanded into more plot once the audience is tuning in week after week.

Exactly. And besides Benton, this isn't the first 11 minute show that's managed to have a good ongoing story. Just look at Steven Universe. (Which, if you haven't already done Benton, you really should, seriously. It's probably one of the best shows on television right now, and while it takes a while to get going, it really pays off once you get into it. If you're looking for plot, (and some heavy character development,) look no further than SU.)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203