New JLA series coming to CN

Started by Glitch Girl, October 06, 2015, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

More clips released.  Getting  a very Brave&Bold vibe from this.  Not crazy about Flash's new voice but liking most of the rest.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/new-justice-league-action-clips-show-superman-batman-1788818642

also from another article:
QuoteTeen Titans Go! alum Sam Register will act as the show's executive producer, along with Justice League and Batman Beyond vet Butch Lukic, Batman: The Animated Series' Alan Burnett and Green Lantern: The Animated Series vet Jim Krieg as producers.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Glitch Girl

So, saw the first 4 episodes that act as the pilot...

The show is squarely aimed at the younger crowd.  Those of you without kids may not like it, though it's not as randomly silly as Teen Titans Go.  Characterization is much more simplified all the way around as are the plots.  Animation is mostly solid except for the opening of the 2nd episode where it seemed unusually choppy with a low frame rate or something. humor was a bit hit or miss with me, as was characterization: while I liked Martian Manhunter and Booster, Constantine was utterly cringeworthy (and not Matt Ryan).  Writing between the four episodes was also uneven, the 4th being the weakest of the lot  (also I noted that the 1st & last episodes were written by the same person, and were also my least favorites of the bunch).  Depending on who was writing it, Batman was either barely competent or closer to the Dark Knight Detective.  Some more consistency would be nice.

Overall, I think young kids will like it, but production value is good, it may not click with older audiences.

And if you like Constantine at all, avoid that episode 4. 

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

BentonGrey

Well, that's rather disappointing, but not terribly surprising.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Shogunn2517

Completely forgot about this show.

Just saw it show up on SB and like GG just watched the first 4 episodes before bed and I gotta say, I think my opinion may differ slightly, but it might be a little more positive.  Possibly.

Spoiler
The first four episodes were one arch, Black Adam kicked Shazam(Wizard) out of the Rock of Eternity and let loose some Djin's on Earth.  First Episode was Batman helping the Wizard getting back to the Rock, freeing Billy Batson so that Captain Marvel and he can kick out Black Adam.  Second Episode was Superman and Wonder Woman fighting a Djin who absorbed the Parasite's powers.  Third was Batman and Green Arrow going after a Djin before having a few other leaguers join in.  4th was with Constantine, Swamp Thing, Plastic Man joining the others for a final showdown.  Yes, I completely agree with GG that this was geared towards kids and yes not nearly as slapstick silly as TTG, but the animation style seemed rather basic.  The writing and acting lacked maturity.  But what struck me was the action, which was pretty solid.  Very solid IMO.  Saw little in the first episode, but by the second, we saw Superman and Wonder Woman using their powers to the full extent, which was also seen in the third when they had fighting so cataclysmic to destroy the Hall of Justice.  they weren't pulling any punches with this show.  It wasn't just all speed lines and action stills.  The fights had pretty good(not great great, but good) choreography.  It was good to hear Conroy as Batman.  Superman sounded remarkably similar to Daly.  Wonder Woman was different but didn't sound bad.  The others were okay as well(other than the action dialogue itself, which was somewhat bothersome(looking at you Green Arrow)).  Overall, the lineup of characters seen though was pretty cool.  Some I haven't seen animated or televised in a while.  Swamp Thing, Plastic Man.  But also having Green Arrow, along with Superman, Wonder Woman, Jonn, Booster, Cyborg and Hal Jordan showed up at the end as well.  I'm sure there are and will be others, but from the first episode, not a bad line up.  I do hope that each episode continues with a 2-3 man team up model they seemed to have going and keep the focus small.  It sounds like it might be likely.

Overall, I watched.  I don't have any kids.  I will finish the season.  But it was pretty entertaining, if it was just for the action and characters packed into the show.  Just my impressions, but I don't think checking out the first 4 episodes is a bad idea.

Shogunn2517

Okay, watched a few more episodes and changed my mind.

Spoiler
It's way more kid-friendly than I thought.  The violence in it though, isn't all "cartoon violence", though it has it's moments.

BentonGrey

Yeah...it's got its charming moments, and the better voice actor quality is something....but the writing is just mediocre at best from the episodes I've caught.  It's fine, but the pathos and glory of the original series is just absent.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

I've been watching it. Canada (along with the U.K. and Poland) airs some of the episodes earlier than the U.S., so it's possible I've seen some episodes that others here haven't (such as "Repulse") It's ok, not great, certainly not as rich and satisfying as Justice League Unlimited, but it's a decent distraction and in Canada it airs alongside several other superhero cartoons so for me it's basically one part of a marathon. The voice acting for the characters is pretty good (especially Conroy as Batman and Hamill as Joker, and I agree that Superman sounds similar to Tim Daily) And the fight scenes are pretty good. The opening 4 episodes did indeed have continuity and then after that it seems to have become just done-in-ones.

One notable complaint I have is James Woods as Luthor. Ironically, I said I was expecting him to be good in the role when the cast was announced. He was good as Owlman in JL: Crisis on Two Earths, but here, as Luthor, he sounds a little too nasally/lisp-y and the acting isn't the greatest (he's also played a bit more comically than a lot of other great takes on the character). It definitely had me wishing Clancy Brown was doing it again.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Clancy Brown IS Lex Luthor, every bit as much as Conroy and Hamill are their respective characters.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

I actually prefer the Young Justice version of Luthor to even the Justice League one, although it was more characterization than voice acting.

Beside, him coming back to voice Luthor would make it less likely for him to show up on The Flash again, and I really liked his version of General Eisling.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

Considering Mark Hamill's in the show as Joker AND Swamp Thing, I kinda doubt it would be an issue.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

Playing two different voices for the same show in the same studio is a bit different than playing  a voice in one place and showing up in person somewhere in a different country.  That being said, people can show up on multiple shows if their schedule allows.  I just said it was less likely.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

I think you misunderstood me. What I was getting at was the fact that Hamill also has appeared multiple times on The Flash in addition to the new Star Wars.
~Rocky Balboa

Panther_Gunn

The House of Mystery
Spoiler
and Klarion the Witch Boy
?

That was an unexpected treat.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Glitch Girl

I have to confess, I came back to this show, and I'm glad I did.  While it still skews a little young, it has had some very entertaining episodes (like Superman taking out Steppenwolfe on a world with a red sun while Barda and Batman try to find him).  And Superman trying to play bad cop to Batman's Good Cop ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaK3DZ3v-WM )

And then, there's this:
https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/923676517598601217
Yes they're ALL him  :D
-Glitch Girl

BentonGrey

That is one of the greatest things I've ever seen!  :lol: :lol: :lol:
God Bless

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I wasn't surprised to see that posted here. That was the best thing to come out of the the whole show, (and indeed, as others have said, one of the greatest things I've ever seen). And it was only because of this that I learned that there's a whole bunch of web shorts in addition to the television show. What a great way to discover that!

On the topic of the show. It's alright, it is what it is. They seem to love Space Cabbie for some reason. But I quite liked that one with Booster Gold where he's an unsung hero who Batman will never respect. Very nice little adaptation of the excellent Geoff Johns run. Needs Skeets though, voiced by Billy West, of course.
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

SS, you're entirely right.  It's occasionally good, mostly just mediocre.  The Booster Gold episode was pretty great, but yes, there was a distinct lack of Skeets.
God Bless