DC's Legends of Tomorrow

Started by Thunder, November 23, 2015, 11:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apparently it's been confirmed that

Spoiler
Conner Hawke is not Oliver Queen's son in this continuity, but he is the new Green Arrow.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 19, 2016, 04:36:15 AM
I watched the better part of an episode, where very disappointingly:

Spoiler
Hawkman was already dead, though I imagine that's temporary.

This certainly didn't do much for my enthusiasm. 

Anyway, my reaction was much like this:
http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/2016/02/while-discussing-superhero-tv-shows.html

It struck me as far too much like the other DC TV shows, none of which have grabbed me, and all of which have seemed to be far too low in quality for me.  I wasn't really expecting to like it, so it is entirely possible I'm not giving it a fair shake.

I like LoT, but there is something about it that stopping me for liking it more like Flash & Arrow.  Maybe it's the cast is too big or that the story is slow.  Another thing: Is it me or does LoT FX reminds me of the FX that is used in Doctor Who series?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

stumpy

Honestly, I am liking LoT, so far. Is it perfect? Hardly. I would say that I have more fun watching Flash and then Arrow would be next in line. (I am ignoring Gotham, because it isn't part of the continuity.) So, LoT would be after those two in the DC TV-verse. But, it's not the repeated disappointment that Supergirl has become.

And, the casting has been a good mix for an ensemble show. The actors are generally able to pull off the characters well. In fact, I would say that Wentworth Miller's Captain Cold is one of the better characters of any of the shows, so I am glad they were able to find a show for him where he is a regular. And, that's on top of consistently solid performances by Brandon Routh and Victor Garber. Even Caity Lotz, at whom I initially cringed because she is often so wooden, has grown on me.

Anyway, I have enjoyed the show and I am disappointed to hear that it may not get a second season. But, at least they have some time to wrap up this season (as much as that can happen in a time-travel show) and there is good reason to believe most of the characters can at least find an occasional home on one of the other shows.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Jimaras8

Yes fan service and comic ceese are welcome in this era that everything funny orlight-hearted is crucified. However i don't think many people can deny that MCU Netflix shows are higher quality overall even if they hold back the "comicbookiness". Arrowverse is cool but at the end of the day i'm going with quality over fan service. Not that LoT or Flash don't have quality, i just prefer the Netflix shows and AOS.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It has officially been renewed after all.  All of the CW's shows have been.

It's been decent and is getting better.  The death toll has been higher than expected.

Glitch Girl

Regarding  a recent development
Spoiler
Apparently there are some scenes with Heatwave we haven't seen yet in the show, so looks like he's not off the show for long.  Some have speculated that he's Chronos.  Since we really don't know exactly what Snart did to him in that final scene and we are dealing with timey-whimey stuff, it is possible.

The show is getting better - the last two episodes have shown marked improvement as it feels like the cast is finally getting a rhythm. 

BTW: I had no idea Joe Dante was still directing.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

daglob

As I told my daughter:

Spoiler
If you don't see a body, they ain't dead.

Funny, the first time I ever saw Captain Cold or Heatwave was Flash #140.

I have been enjoying the interplay of the characters, even the strange loyalty Heatwave displayed towards Ray because Ray was willing to take a beating for him.

Of course, logically, Ray couldn't have carried Heatwave out of the prison if their positions were reversed.

The only really stupid thing I see is sending Jefferson and Stein on separate missions really because they don't want Firestorm to come in and save the day.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Spoiler
I also suspect that Heatwave will be back, but he's apparently dead at least.  And Cater Hall definitely is.

catwhowalksbyhimself

A genuinely excellent episode this time!

Spoiler

The Thanagarians are confirmed as existing in this universe.  The Time Masters have been helping Savage and manipulating the team this whole time so that he'd be in power to resist their future invasion plans.

The team has now blown up most of the Time Masters and their time manipulation device, so that's now not going to happen.

But now Savage has a time ship too.  Things are finally getting interesting.

daglob

Spoiler
So you're saying that The Master Vandal Savage has a time machine too?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Spoiler
Quote from: daglob on May 13, 2016, 02:19:05 AM
So you're saying that The Master Vandal Savage has a time machine too?
If you haven't watched the last episode, the Time Masters gave him one so that he could return to his killing of Rip's family.  They were probably going to take it back, but since they are gone now, he's decided to keep it.

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

Yeah, but it wasn't much of one...

catwhowalksbyhimself

I know Dr. Who.  If that was supposed to be a Dr. Who joke, it wasn't such a good one.

Spoiler
I mean The Master has ALWAYS had a time machine so I don't get how that's a joke at all.  The only joke I see is calling Vandal The Master which isn't enough by itself to qualify.

BentonGrey

Well, aren't you the humor police. :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

I'd like to blame the meds, but most of them had worn off by the time I made that joke. I was trying to make light of the series and make a point about what they seem to be doing with it. I didn't do either very well.

Part of the problem is my frustration with this series. It showed so much promise, yet they go through extremes to make it a revisionist take on Dr. Who and work hard at not allowing the super heroes to be super. They keep sending Jax and Dr. Stein off separately so that Firestorm can’t show up and be the dues ex machine ending, then he does it anyway. Kendra loses her memories or gets out of practice and can’t use her powers. If I tried I could probably find other instances, but these are the ones that "stick in my craw".

I’m sure a lot of it has to do with the budget, but didn’t they know about that when they began? Surely they knew from The Flash what it cost every second Firestorm was on the screen?

Then they do that beautiful 300-foot tall robot... and he fights a 300-foot tall Ray Palmer (Shades of Hank Pym).

The idea that the Time Lords have to destroy a large section of humanity in order to save it is familiar to someone whose draft lottery number was 4. I guess it makes sense for a self righteous body to decide the survival of a few is sufficient rationalization for the death of the many. It just bothers me.

What were they going to do with Savage after the fought off the aliens? Let Carter and Kendra kill him? Or will we be treated to a view of the head Time Master and it be Savage? That would kind of justify a lot of it.

Yeah, this is the come-down after the meds wear off.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I was harsher than I intended.  I apologize.

But I agree with many of your criticisms.  As good as this episode is, it came at the cost of the entire season before it basically being pointless.  The team accomplished nothing.  Now they finally do and they show was actually good.

The Time Masters are gone so I think we aren't likely to get much more resolution there, although there are still apparently some remnants that may be able to answer questions later.

catwhowalksbyhimself

A great season ending episode.  Getting rid of Savage should actually improve the show, especially with them now just being the guardians of the timeline.  Lots of great moments from the comics too.

Spoiler

The meteors that did all of this were Thanagarian in nature.  They seem to imply that the Hawks of Human/Thanagarian hybrids now, essentially.  To bad they left, but they'll probably show up in Flash and Arrow on occasion.

Firestorm learns to transmute stuff!  About time!

And lastly Hourman shows up, identifying himself as a member of the Justice Society!  In and a future Waverider no less.

I am actually more excited now since the show is in a more interesting direction with the first season's plot now resolved.

Thunder

Definitely looking forward to next season, especially after seeing the surprise character at the end.

Spoiler
I never expected to hear the words "Justice Society of America" on modern TV.   Never thought I\d see Rex Tyler either.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Citizen Steel Cast for 2nd season.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Vixen will be joining the show.  Notably, this is NOT the version seen in the CW Seed show and in Arrow, but her grand daughter from the future.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The increasingly large cast of heroes will now be joined by Stargirl, Dr. Mid-Nite, and Obsidian.

Opposing them will be the Legion of Doom, which will include Dark, Merlyn, Reverse Flash, and Captain Cold.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Okay, now this was more like it.  Freed from having to constantly try and fail to do the same things repeatedly until the end of the season, we get a fun time travel adventure which suddenly jumps right into comic book fun at the end.

Full spoilers below.
Spoiler

Going back to WW to keep the Nazis from nuking New York City, they find Damian Darke working with the Nazis.  They stop him, but all get scattered throughout time.  Historian Dr. Heywood with the help of Oliver Queen locates the Waverider with Heatwave in stasis below and joins the team to track down the other members, except for Rip Hunter who seems to be missing.  On their way out of WWII after taking measures to prevent the Nazis from trying that again, they are stopped by the Justice Society.

In the meantime, Darke is revealed to be partnered with the Reverse Flash.

The episode was great fun and the ending was even more fun and should lead to a great episode for next week.  Over all a vast improvement over the first season.

thalaw2

This show is off to an amazing start!  It's so much fun to watch and I hope they can keep up this kind of story telling.  The showdown with JSA was well done.  The TV effects didn't look overly cheap.  It's clear that TV effects have come a long way since the original Land of the Lost.  I was expecting this show to be the weak link in the DC live action line up, because it wasn't very strong last season.  However, the past 2 eps have been solid and IMO Flash is now the weak link.  The last ep. of Flash was so painful to watch that no one even posted about it in the respective thread.
革命不会被电视转播

GhostMachine

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 25, 2016, 02:12:55 PM
Vixen will be joining the show.  Notably, this is NOT the version seen in the CW Seed show and in Arrow, but her grand daughter from the future.

Turned out to be her grandmother, from the past. It was supposed to be the one from Seed (who showed up on Arrow. also), but the actress was unavailable so they had to make it a different person.

The JSA episode was severely disappointing. I'm hoping that at some point we get an episode with a more modern (or even future) incarnation of the team. Especially considering that Dr. Mid-Nite and Hourman were the only two heroes in the episode who actually were JSA members in the 1940's.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I didn't mind it so much.  This weeks episode was however, much better than it was in either case.  Just an all out fun time travel adventure.  I am wondering what future Flash's message was though.  It can't be good.

crimsonquill

This weeks episode "Shogun" was very interesting but mostly setting up the origin of Citizen Steel and Atom finally getting some motivation to upgrade.

But did anyone notice the easter egg of the sword?

Spoiler
The woman that Steel protects is an ancestor of Katana and that very sword used to kill the Shogun later becomes Soultaker.
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I was wondering what they were hinting at with the family name.

Also, Mick was hilarious this episode with the ninja thing.

Glitch Girl

Regarding the 80's episode...
Spoiler

It's nice to know that Obsidian had a better ending than he did in the comics
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

Word is that the show's performance for season 2 has been excellent and they've now ordered 4 more episodes, as they had originally planned for it to be a half season like last year.