DC Extended Universe

Started by HarryTrotter, December 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

I guess we need a thread for that?Full list of planed movies can be found on wikipedia,so Im not gonna list them.
We are also getting Krypton,a prequel show to Superman like Gotham is to Batman.On SyFy.Well F...
Along the road we also have Blue Beetle and Booster Gold,Shazam and Justice League Dark.Fables and Sandman are being discussed.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Yeah, a topic like this was bound to pop up sooner or later.  I just hope DC give us more info to get excited over or drop hints/ clues in the Batman v Superman & Suicide Squad movies.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Talavar

It needs to be mentioned what is going to count in the burgeoning DC Cinematic Universe:  Gotham, Arrow and Flash shows don't, and potential Fables and Sandman films won't, but I'm not sure about Shazam or the Krypton show.

GhostMachine

I just don't see Krypton working as a long concept show. But I could be wrong.

Marvel has gotten it right with their movies and tv shows, for the most part. (The recent Fantastic Four movie being the exception) That's not happening with DC, unfortunately. TV shows, yes. Movies, no. (Constantine had good casting and acting, but bad writing)

I think they're doing a disservice to Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin by even announcing Green Arrow and Flash movies with different actors while the tv shows are still running.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 17, 2015, 04:17:14 AM
I just don't see Krypton working as a long concept show. But I could be wrong.

Marvel has gotten it right with their movies and tv shows, for the most part. (The recent Fantastic Four movie being the exception) That's not happening with DC, unfortunately. TV shows, yes. Movies, no. (Constantine had good casting and acting, but bad writing)

I think they're doing a disservice to Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin by even announcing Green Arrow and Flash movies with different actors while the tv shows are still running.

COMPLETELY agree!  It's like they're wasting talent.  Which is why it ain't too surprising SA has been talking about jumping to Marvel.  I'm sure it wouldn't happen, but I have to imagine he and GG must be feeling some sort of way for not getting on the big screen and not having any sort of chance to.

HarryTrotter

DC in their infinite wisdom decided that movie Flash will be Barry Allen.And in roughy the same age as Grant Gustins Flash.
It will end up pretty similar or it will be hated by fans of the show.Probably both.
Yes,Krypton will be a MoS prequel,and no,I dont see it working either.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: GhostMachine on December 17, 2015, 04:17:14 AM
(The recent Fantastic Four movie being the exception)

The Fantastic Four movie had nothing whatsoever to do with marvel.  Marvel's even canceled their Fan 4 series and gone so far as to pull some licenses for the characters, such as forcing the Fantastic 4 Marvel Lengendary expansion to go out of print.  They want nothing whatsoever to do with it.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

DC,people,focus...
Fables will probably be a standalone project(IMO it would function better as a series),but Sandman could be in the same continuity as the rest.It did take place in the DC universe,even if it didnt have too many crossovers.
Actually,Neil Gaiman said Vertigo movies will have their own universe,but there is a possibility of a crossover in Dark Universe.Which IIRC is directed by Guillermo Del Torro will possibly have Matt Ryan as John Constantine.If DC allows it,ofc.
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on December 18, 2015, 11:12:48 AM
DC,people,focus...
Fables will probably be a standalone project(IMO it would function better as a series),but Sandman could be in the same continuity as the rest.It did take place in the DC universe,even if it didnt have too many crossovers.
Actually,Neil Gaiman said Vertigo movies will have their own universe,but there is a possibility of a crossover in Dark Universe.Which IIRC is directed by Guillermo Del Torro will possibly have Matt Ryan as John Constantine.If DC allows it,ofc.

Guillermo Del Toro was attached to Justice League After Dark, but has since moved on to other projects.

Sandman was confusing - it started out in the DC Universe (with appearances by Martian Manhunter and Dr. Destiny), but partway through the run got shifted out by editorial, with later references to Superman and Bizarro superman-esque characters using obvious stand-ins rather than the characters themselves.

HarryTrotter

Yes,but character from Sandman continued to appear in main DC titles to this day.
A number of Vertigo titles started in the DCU but detached later.Hellblazer,(later)Swamp thing,(later)Animal man were all kinda in their pocket universe(s).They could crossover,but they werent a firm part.
Geoff Johns explained it as multiverse,so in theory,any 2 current or future adaptations could have a crossover.In theory.
Jon Farmer

Glitch Girl

Not quite related, but wanted to share this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Btc8suerE

Edited together from footage of existing live action DC media.  Heck, I'd watch it.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Just for fun: You guys think Deadpool might have opened a way for an Animal-man movie?
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Quote from: Spade on March 10, 2016, 05:12:03 PM
Just for fun: You guys think Deadpool might have opened a way for an Animal-man movie?

I don't think so.  Animal Man would probably do better on Arrow or Flash than on the big screen.  Honestly I can't DC doing a R rated movie......I take that back, if they did a Lobo movie, it would have to be rated R
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Well...BvS will have an R-version.I dont really see Arrow or Flash doing a cosmic horror story...And the movie would be a great chance to take creator cameos to the next level.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on March 10, 2016, 06:09:29 PM
Well...BvS will have an R-version.I dont really see Arrow or Flash doing a cosmic horror story...And the movie would be a great chance to take creator cameos to the next level.

R-Rated on Bluray and maybe DVD only, I should point out.  I think that's stupid to even have that with this particular property, but whatever.

HarryTrotter

Yes,it is stupid.But Deadpool made it,so Superhero movies are now all R-rated.Okay,there were cases before.Watchman and KickAss were R rated,but those arent exactly classical superhero movies.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on March 11, 2016, 06:10:48 AM
Yes,it is stupid.But Deadpool made it,so Superhero movies are now all R-rated.Okay,there were cases before.Watchman and KickAss were R rated,but those arent exactly classical superhero movies.

Marvel has come out and announced that they have no interest in R-rated movies, so this is not as true as you think.  DC might go that route, but Marvel themselves are not.

HarryTrotter

You mean just Marvel Studios?Fox is obviously doing R adaptations of Marvels comic.And Superior,and KickAss 3(I hear),and Empress...Mark Millar stuff that is.
No news on Bloodshots rating,but that could be R easily.We shall see next year.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Spade on March 11, 2016, 12:02:11 PM
You mean just Marvel Studios?Fox is obviously doing R adaptations of Marvels comic.And Superior,and KickAss 3(I hear),and Empress...Mark Millar stuff that is.
No news on Bloodshots rating,but that could be R easily.We shall see next year.

Marvel has no control over what Fox does, so I shouldn't have to add the word "studios" in there.

HarryTrotter

I know.Just saying there will be R adaptations of Marvel comics.And other comics.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

You said, and I quote "Superhero movies are all R rated."  Now obviously, you didn't mean that quite literally, but a huge chunk of all superhero movies being made are the Marvel Studios ones and they aren't going to make any.  DC's only going to do so on video.  I'm sure there will be more in future, but there's no sign of the huge trend you are talking about and with Marvel themselves firmly against it, the majority of superhero movies will continue to not be R.

There you go, you went and made me waste my time with a long explanation, when my briefer one should have done.

HarryTrotter

I was really only trying to say that Deadpool might have started a trend.And that it an Animal-man movie would be cool.  :)
Jon Farmer

Tomato

So... After DC made such a big deal about how all its movies are "creator driven" and how they didn't want to hamper the creative voices of their creators by trying to shoehorn everything into a larger cinematic universe (comments that were clearly intended as a sleight against Marvel's poor track record with directors) Flash director Seth Grahame-Smith just quit the project citing "creative differences" with the studio.

http://screenrant.com/flash-movie-loses-director-grahame-smith/

I'm not normally that guy, but it does amuse me that this is happening to WB after they made such a big deal about catering to their creators.

BentonGrey

These days I'm always be happy to enjoy the schadenfreude of WB's misfortunes.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

From what I understand, it's because of the response to Batman v Superman.  They decided they needed to reign in Snyder and are apparently now similarly worried about other directors.  There are also reports that Snyder may not be back for Justice League after all because they are that upset over how the first film went.

Of course, this is going to pose a problem with the directors they've already lined up, since they were told they'd have that sort of freedom and it is now being taken away from them.