Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy 15th Birthday, Freedom Force!

Author Topic: DC Extended Universe  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Spade

Re: DC Extended Universe
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:03 AM »
But apparently,along the way they decided it would be nice to have everyone quiping and sprouting pop culture references.Sure,it makes the tone even weirder,but it worked for Marvel.
Somehow,the film division managed to do the impossible and sacrifice both of their children to the nazis.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »
DJ, that's very well said, and particularly interesting coming from you.  Also, your examples are hilarious and sadly possible.  :P  I don't mind a dark story, but whenever you start out by saying 'what's popular right now?' instead of 'what story needs telling?' you're setting out to fail creatively.

Spade, the ridiculous tonal shift apparent in the Justice League movie bothers me about as much as the whole focus on the aftermath of Man of Steel in BvS.  You can't come back from where they've been.  The well is poisoned, the fields are salted.  You can't right your course without starting over again, because you're still building on blasted foundations.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Spade

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2017, 03:31:05 PM »
Here is the problem with that -JLA are not Avengers.They don't live in a mansion/tower in NY.They have a space station in Earth orbit.Going to a parallel universe is a big thing for the Avengers,for the JLA that's a casual Friday.You need to thing big.Other planets,Multiverse,all that wacky stuff.And honestly,another army of CGI mooks is just not that impressive.Imitating Marvel is not what you want to do.
But anyhow,that's just my theory,and the damage is done at this point.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!!
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2017, 12:26:46 AM »
I got to ask, why is it interesting for me to say what I did, BG?

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2017, 01:28:13 AM »
Because, as you said, you're someone who likes darker stories, so it's not just me being crotchety and old fashioned.  :)

Spade: I wouldn't mind a (semi) quippy JLA, provided it didn't get too out of control, but you're right, they are not the Avengers, and just trying to recreate that dynamic at this late stage is ridiculous.

As with most things, I think a good example exists in JLU's dynamic, which had plenty of humor, but it's not just everyone being snarky.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
Personally, I think what's most frustrating about this stuff is that DC has the potential to be so much bigger and more fantastic than Marvel does... and they're sitting in a corner with their movie universe trying to be "realistic" and "edgy" compared to Marvel Comics. Here's the thing: NO ONE CARES about realistic. If they did, Star Wars would not be the powerhouse it is. Good story and good characters trump logic EVERY TIME. You have a universe with some of the most fantastic, colorful, and FUN characters, and you're placing yourself into this tiny little box of dark, moody and "more realistic" for NO REASON.

And really, that's where I finally broke with TDK trilogy as well. Don't get me wrong, I do still like TDK and it's still probably my favorite Batman film overall, but when TDKR came out I was ready for the trilogy to die and never return. Because while I like how seriously it handled stuff like Harvey Dent's descent into madness, Nolan's universe does not allow for the more fantastic elements of the Batman mythos, such as Robin, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, or the like without seriously reworking them.

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2017, 01:54:47 AM »
Personally, I think what's most frustrating about this stuff is that DC has the potential to be so much bigger and more fantastic than Marvel does... and they're sitting in a corner with their movie universe trying to be "realistic" and "edgy" compared to Marvel Comics. Here's the thing: NO ONE CARES about realistic. If they did, Star Wars would not be the powerhouse it is. Good story and good characters trump logic EVERY TIME. You have a universe with some of the most fantastic, colorful, and FUN characters, and you're placing yourself into this tiny little box of dark, moody and "more realistic" for NO REASON.

And really, that's where I finally broke with TDK trilogy as well. Don't get me wrong, I do still like TDK and it's still probably my favorite Batman film overall, but when TDKR came out I was ready for the trilogy to die and never return. Because while I like how seriously it handled stuff like Harvey Dent's descent into madness, Nolan's universe does not allow for the more fantastic elements of the Batman mythos, such as Robin, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, or the like without seriously reworking them.

Well, Ivy could just be a non-powered botanist like she was in the comic's earlier years and most of TAS, but yeah, I get your point. Mask of the Phantasm is still my favorite Batman movie not just because it's really darn good, but also because it has no problem with throwing in some of the more fanciful elements of the Bat-mythos, such as jetpacks and deathtraps and whatnot. (While still being good. Joel Schumaker, I'm looking at you.) And they could easily do that sort of thing in live-action now if they wanted to, and no-one would complain. And instead, we get the Dark Knight Douchebag in BvS. Honestly, I think the only thing they can really do at this point is to just scrap the whole thing and start it all over after 5-10 years or so, because they've already botched the job as far back as Man of Steel. And they've only gotten worse.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline dudalb

« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 06:15:39 PM »
I am betting we will not see a Solo Flash film until the TV show has ended it's run.
It's hard to get people to pay for something they think they can see for free.....

Offline Kenn

• The Fandom Stranger
    • RCU Hero Net
Leaked Footage: Batman, WW, Cyborg rescue Flash, Aquaman from Darkseid
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2017, 09:17:22 PM »
Leaked footage: Part of the final act, when Batman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg resuce Flash and Aquaman from Darkseid along with (*spoiler alert*)

Superman, returned from the dead, being particularly useful against Darkseid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BCSzuOfgo
Somewhen around 2004 the Radium Age of Comics began.   

Why radium?  Because radium is a metal and comics ages are named for metals.
Also, radium is toxic, but the people who worked with it didn't know that and thought it was great.

Offline yell0w_lantern

• Cut-rate Ringslinger
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »
Wacky idea: I want an Hourman movie set in the late 1930s.  Start there, go through WW2 where Hitler has the mystic shield over Europe, then do the HUAC story and springboard into the Silver Age a la New Frontier with all the weird sci-fi and alien menaces/alternate dimensions until you eventually move to Iron Age with a Giffen DeMatteis-style League of misfits and Luthor running the US government and the eventual redemption heroes.  At last, cue Darkseid and the Anti-life Equation.

I hate autocorrect.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Offline Glitch Girl

• ERROR: Title not found
  • Titans
  • If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because itís the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2017, 04:32:55 AM »
Danny Elfman to score "Justice League"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-danny-elfman-compose-score-1013319

Does Eflman even still really do anything these days? They must really be wanting to do anything to get butts in seats with this one.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline dudalb

« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2017, 09:23:10 PM »
And now rumors that Patty Jenkins will be shooting some scenes for the Justice League movie.
I wonder how many units they will be having on this film. It is a return to way movies were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood,where is was Standard Operating Procedure for directors to "help out" when a big film was having a time crunch problem.
The signing of Elfman screams "We are trying to make this film as much like the "Avengers" as possible"...

Offline Talavar

« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
And now rumors that Patty Jenkins will be shooting some scenes for the Justice League movie.
I wonder how many units they will be having on this film. It is a return to way movies were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood,where is was Standard Operating Procedure for directors to "help out" when a big film was having a time crunch problem.
The signing of Elfman screams "We are trying to make this film as much like the "Avengers" as possible"...

Danny Elfman didn't score the Avengers, so I don't understand that comparison.