DC Extended Universe

Started by HarryTrotter, December 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

But apparently,along the way they decided it would be nice to have everyone quiping and sprouting pop culture references.Sure,it makes the tone even weirder,but it worked for Marvel.
Somehow,the film division managed to do the impossible and sacrifice both of their children to the nazis.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

DJ, that's very well said, and particularly interesting coming from you.  Also, your examples are hilarious and sadly possible.  :P  I don't mind a dark story, but whenever you start out by saying 'what's popular right now?' instead of 'what story needs telling?' you're setting out to fail creatively.

Spade, the ridiculous tonal shift apparent in the Justice League movie bothers me about as much as the whole focus on the aftermath of Man of Steel in BvS.  You can't come back from where they've been.  The well is poisoned, the fields are salted.  You can't right your course without starting over again, because you're still building on blasted foundations.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Here is the problem with that -JLA are not Avengers.They don't live in a mansion/tower in NY.They have a space station in Earth orbit.Going to a parallel universe is a big thing for the Avengers,for the JLA that's a casual Friday.You need to thing big.Other planets,Multiverse,all that wacky stuff.And honestly,another army of CGI mooks is just not that impressive.Imitating Marvel is not what you want to do.
But anyhow,that's just my theory,and the damage is done at this point.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

I got to ask, why is it interesting for me to say what I did, BG?
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

Because, as you said, you're someone who likes darker stories, so it's not just me being crotchety and old fashioned.  :)

Spade: I wouldn't mind a (semi) quippy JLA, provided it didn't get too out of control, but you're right, they are not the Avengers, and just trying to recreate that dynamic at this late stage is ridiculous.

As with most things, I think a good example exists in JLU's dynamic, which had plenty of humor, but it's not just everyone being snarky.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

Personally, I think what's most frustrating about this stuff is that DC has the potential to be so much bigger and more fantastic than Marvel does... and they're sitting in a corner with their movie universe trying to be "realistic" and "edgy" compared to Marvel Comics. Here's the thing: NO ONE CARES about realistic. If they did, Star Wars would not be the powerhouse it is. Good story and good characters trump logic EVERY TIME. You have a universe with some of the most fantastic, colorful, and FUN characters, and you're placing yourself into this tiny little box of dark, moody and "more realistic" for NO REASON.

And really, that's where I finally broke with TDK trilogy as well. Don't get me wrong, I do still like TDK and it's still probably my favorite Batman film overall, but when TDKR came out I was ready for the trilogy to die and never return. Because while I like how seriously it handled stuff like Harvey Dent's descent into madness, Nolan's universe does not allow for the more fantastic elements of the Batman mythos, such as Robin, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, or the like without seriously reworking them.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Tomato on April 06, 2017, 01:36:03 AM
Personally, I think what's most frustrating about this stuff is that DC has the potential to be so much bigger and more fantastic than Marvel does... and they're sitting in a corner with their movie universe trying to be "realistic" and "edgy" compared to Marvel Comics. Here's the thing: NO ONE CARES about realistic. If they did, Star Wars would not be the powerhouse it is. Good story and good characters trump logic EVERY TIME. You have a universe with some of the most fantastic, colorful, and FUN characters, and you're placing yourself into this tiny little box of dark, moody and "more realistic" for NO REASON.

And really, that's where I finally broke with TDK trilogy as well. Don't get me wrong, I do still like TDK and it's still probably my favorite Batman film overall, but when TDKR came out I was ready for the trilogy to die and never return. Because while I like how seriously it handled stuff like Harvey Dent's descent into madness, Nolan's universe does not allow for the more fantastic elements of the Batman mythos, such as Robin, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, or the like without seriously reworking them.

Well, Ivy could just be a non-powered botanist like she was in the comic's earlier years and most of TAS, but yeah, I get your point. Mask of the Phantasm is still my favorite Batman movie not just because it's really darn good, but also because it has no problem with throwing in some of the more fanciful elements of the Bat-mythos, such as jetpacks and deathtraps and whatnot. (While still being good. Joel Schumaker, I'm looking at you.) And they could easily do that sort of thing in live-action now if they wanted to, and no-one would complain. And instead, we get the Dark Knight Douchebag in BvS. Honestly, I think the only thing they can really do at this point is to just scrap the whole thing and start it all over after 5-10 years or so, because they've already botched the job as far back as Man of Steel. And they've only gotten worse.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

dudalb

I am betting we will not see a Solo Flash film until the TV show has ended it's run.
It's hard to get people to pay for something they think they can see for free.....

Kenn

Leaked footage: Part of the final act, when Batman, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg resuce Flash and Aquaman from Darkseid along with (*spoiler alert*)

Superman, returned from the dead, being particularly useful against Darkseid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4BCSzuOfgo
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.

yell0w_lantern

Wacky idea: I want an Hourman movie set in the late 1930s.  Start there, go through WW2 where Hitler has the mystic shield over Europe, then do the HUAC story and springboard into the Silver Age a la New Frontier with all the weird sci-fi and alien menaces/alternate dimensions until you eventually move to Iron Age with a Giffen DeMatteis-style League of misfits and Luthor running the US government and the eventual redemption heroes.  At last, cue Darkseid and the Anti-life Equation.

I hate autocorrect.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on June 15, 2017, 02:39:40 PM
Danny Elfman to score "Justice League"

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-danny-elfman-compose-score-1013319

Does Eflman even still really do anything these days? They must really be wanting to do anything to get butts in seats with this one.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

dudalb

And now rumors that Patty Jenkins will be shooting some scenes for the Justice League movie.
I wonder how many units they will be having on this film. It is a return to way movies were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood,where is was Standard Operating Procedure for directors to "help out" when a big film was having a time crunch problem.
The signing of Elfman screams "We are trying to make this film as much like the "Avengers" as possible"...

Talavar

Quote from: dudalb on June 26, 2017, 09:23:10 PM
And now rumors that Patty Jenkins will be shooting some scenes for the Justice League movie.
I wonder how many units they will be having on this film. It is a return to way movies were made during the Golden Age of Hollywood,where is was Standard Operating Procedure for directors to "help out" when a big film was having a time crunch problem.
The signing of Elfman screams "We are trying to make this film as much like the "Avengers" as possible"...

Danny Elfman didn't score the Avengers, so I don't understand that comparison.

Tomato

So merch for JL is coming out and...

Spoiler
Yeah, no, to the surprise of no one, Superman's return will also be in this mess. Figures and statues have him in basically the same costume, but the hairstyle is a bit different.

Speaking of costumes... UGH. This link takes you to pictures of the figures, and OH MY GOD those new outfits are ugly. Like... for all the hate I can spew towards BvS, I LOVED all 3 of the main costumes. Batman was epic, WW was amazing, and Superman... ok, Superman still needed some red in the torso area, but overall it was fine. These though... UGH.

I actually had hope for Aquaman, since it looked kinda interesting in the trailers, but that costume is WAY too busy. The Bronze and Green is so jumbled and overcomplicated that in practice, the character just looks like he's literally wearing vomit. Cyborg fairs no better, as his outfit reminds me of the worst of the Transformers movie designs, only more monotone so it's even harder to see detail.. The Flash is "better" in that regard (the figure does make it look worse, but you can see with this statue the white isn't as prominent) but it still has the bizarre choice of incorporating ARMOR into a character that's power is literally RUNNING FAST. Because y'know, ARMOR isn't known to SLOW PEOPLE DOWN at all, or prevent them from having full range of motion.

And Batman... why. Just... no. I get this is supposed to be a one-off outfit for the fight at the end of the film (Mattel already released BvS Batman, so I can see why they only want to basically re-release two figures they have done twice already... Because it's not like Superman could use a new mold or anything since his figure is shorter than everyone else in the League) but it's frustrating because the BvS design was SO GOOD.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It it looks like Joss Whedon has been brought in to direct the reshoots and he's filming a completely new ending.  Apparently it was supposed to end in a cliffhanger with Darkseid arriving and the movie just stopping without really an ending, but now Darkseid is being helf off until later.

I like Whedon and his work, but not sure if touching it up to be "lighter" is really going to to be good.  If the film's tone was off, making a few tweaks to change it in a different direction is just going to make it a bit disjointed IMO.  Changing the ending I don't have as much of an issue with.  I think making it stand alone is a good move.

We shall see though.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/justice-league-reshoots-will-change-films-ending-174504676.html
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

So I noticed something about the Flash costume today that has left me just... annoyed.

Spoiler

http://news.toyark.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2017/08/MAFEX-Justice-League-The-Flash-001.jpg

So I want you to look at the gloves of Barry's costume. And then I want you to think about the fact that this is a man whose chosen profession is as a forensic scientist. A person whose job it is to analyze fingerprints left at crime scenes.

daglob

I don't like that it looks like armor (is he going to get some of his power from it? Does the man who can outrun bullets need protection against them?), but
Spoiler
the uncovered fingers make me like it even less

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Tomato

Yeah... I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole. I hope the idea rots in development hell forever and they never get it off the ground. It's so dumb.

Going back to the Justice League stuff, what frustrates me most is that I actually really do LIKE the Batman V Superman outfits, even if I feel the movie is not worthy of the characters. Affleck's Batman costume is by far my favorite of any film adaptation (and that's saying a LOT) and Wonder Woman is perfect. The only real "weak link" there is Superman, and it's still a fine costume even if the color balance is off. To see that followed up by such... frankly UGLY costumes for Aquaman, Cyborg, and Flash is really disheartening. The Green Lantern costumes were honestly better than these monstrosities.

BentonGrey

Yep, the costumes are pretty hideous, and I noticed the fingerless gloves thing too.  It's utterly ridiculous. 
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Oddly enough,Justice League received pretty good reviews so far.Basically,its good but a bit rushed,it seems.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Not what I heard at all.  And for a movie like this to have a review embargo and no RT score less than 2 days from when audiences see it in theaters... never a good thing.

https://www.thewrap.com/justice-league-is-a-chaotic-baffling-mess-and-8-other-explosive-reviews/

HarryTrotter

I admit I only saw 2 or 3 reviews on youtube,and all reviewers cant have an uniform opinion.
They did have similar complains about CGI however.
But lets wait and see.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Three words that spell doom:  Surfer dude Aquaman!  Enough said....

BentonGrey

Haha!  Ohh, I'm enjoying this. 

Probably my favorite part: "If you like your superhero battles in deep dark tunnels or under skies purple with alien soot, director Zack Snyder is back with yet another installment that looks the way Axe body spray smells..."

Can you say schadenfreude?  Sadly, it will still probably make a zillion dollars, but I can always hope it will fail miserably and finally lead to the reboot necessary to salvage the universe.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, I've been reading reviews and to say they are not good is putting it kindly.  It seems to Wonder Woman has actually hurt Justice League because most reviewer compare the two and the winner ain't JL.  The best I've heard all the reviews say is that it's not as bad as BvS, which is hardly high praise.  One reviewer did think that Superman's a lot better in this one, but he appears way too late to save the movie.

EDIT:  They are also be savaged on Twitter for getting rid of the actual practical leather armor the Amazon's use in Wonder Woman and replace them with leather bikinis.  Not only is it stupid, but it makes no sense from a continuity standpoint.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 15, 2017, 09:49:05 PMI can always hope it will fail miserably and finally lead to the reboot necessary to salvage the universe.

Or it could be rebooted the same way the last Fantastic Four movie was.  Or Bat-nipples could be back.  Or they could revisit the Nic Cage/Tim Burton Superman idea.  Or Uwe Boll could be brought in to direct.

Don't be like Batmite in the last episode of B:TBATB.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on November 15, 2017, 11:16:58 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on November 15, 2017, 09:49:05 PMI can always hope it will fail miserably and finally lead to the reboot necessary to salvage the universe.

Or it could be rebooted the same way the last Fantastic Four movie was.  Or Bat-nipples could be back.  Or they could revisit the Nic Cage/Tim Burton Superman idea.  Or Uwe Boll could be brought in to direct.

Don't be like Batmite in the last episode of B:TBATB.

Except this is the opposite of that.  Batmite wanted to replace something happy and optimistic and very much based on certain type of comic with great love and reverence for the comics with something gritty dark and grim just because.  Benton wants something gritty dark and grim just because to be replaced with something that shows love and reverence to the comics.  He's the Ambush Bug in this little analogy.

It's not going to work though.  WB has shown a complete inability to come up with a consistently good unitied comics universe.  If anything the success of Wonder Woman just shows that the success or failure of their movies is based entirely on the director and writers handling it, as in the past, and as in the past, they hid or miss on an individual basis.  There really is no unity here.  They can't even get the Amazon's armor to stay consistent from one director to the next.

Deaths Jester

I hate to say this but Uwe Boll might've made a better film than this. Note. That says MIGHT!