Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: DC Extended Universe  (Read 4137 times)

Offline bat1987

Re: DC Extended Universe
« Reply #150 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:15 PM »
Just got back from seeing Justice League.  It was pretty darn good, actually!

Ya, saw it last night. Was a legit fun flick. Will go into more details later. DoJ and SS were really weak, MoS was a bit better, WW was really good, and this was flawed for sure, but was a really fun watch. I actually find it better than some of the MCU's weaker entries (IMO) like Iron Man 2 and 3 and Thor 2.

So over the course of nearly 24 hours, JL's tomatometer score has gone down from 43% (which wasn't very high to begin with,) all the way to 37%. Oofta.

Its back at 40% as of right now, and, for what its worth, it has audience score of 86%.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:20:30 PM by bat1987 »

Offline Red Fisser

« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
If they could just jump from the small screen to the big screen(like x-files did).
Then they could just introduce the trinity through their respective series(mcu-netflix style instead of the cw crap)in order to build the characters backgrounds in full fleshed 13 episodes WHILE saving time instead of rushing everything and leaving  hundreds of plot holes in the way(that could only result to some paradox). Likewise they could start with a batman grounded noir detective  drama , a sci-fi adventure with social elements for superman and an epic fantasy adventure/social freedom/historical themed drama(?) for wonderwoman that would start to build the dceu, until it would conclude to each ones big screen adventure movie , and then perhaps some crossover special episodes to form the trinity, and to the conclusion a justice league series/which would have its own big events to take place on the theaters. And of course in that justice league bats could be the occasional helping hand for special missions that otherwise solves crimes in gotham instead of the party-animal thats everywhere/is open to everything from meeting anyone to taking the worst unthinkable risks..etc

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2017, 06:21:47 PM »
If they could just jump from the small screen to the big screen(like x-files did).
Then they could just introduce the trinity through their respective series(mcu-netflix style instead of the cw crap)in order to build the characters backgrounds in full fleshed 13 episodes WHILE saving time instead of rushing everything and leaving  hundreds of plot holes in the way(that could only result to some paradox). Likewise they could start with a batman grounded noir detective  drama , a sci-fi adventure with social elements for superman and an epic fantasy adventure/social freedom/historical themed drama(?) for wonderwoman that would start to build the dceu, until it would conclude to each ones big screen adventure movie , and then perhaps some crossover special episodes to form the trinity, and to the conclusion a justice league series/which would have its own big events to take place on the theaters. And of course in that justice league bats could be the occasional helping hand for special missions that otherwise solves crimes in gotham instead of the party-animal thats everywhere/is open to everything from meeting anyone to taking the worst unthinkable risks..etc

Sounds good. Just one problem: Budget.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Red Fisser

« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2017, 12:01:19 AM »
nah I think the netflix way for series is the best format for the superhero genre to shine without the need to be over the top expensive.
Plus it would save time as much as it would give it back, to tell the right stories in the most respectful way as well as to summon the right amount of money to start building up for the big screen leap.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2017, 06:41:39 PM »
You probably noticed Netflix shows have been pretty low key,in multiple ways.You couldnt really do Justice League or Superman in that way.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline stumpy

• treselgonian dementialist
  • Administrator
« Reply #155 on: December 03, 2017, 06:52:43 AM »
Saw Justice League today. Overall reaction: Not bad. Not great, but fun to watch.

All along, my issue with DC's recent movies (Wonder Woman aside) is that they just don't get their own characters. Zack Snyder has made some movies that I genuinely liked. E.g., I think Watchmen was a relatively faithful comic-book adaptation where I didn't leave the theater wondering if Snyder ever even read any of the comics. But, Watchmen was something of a deconstruction of the superhero mythology and Snyder's psychosis meshed very well with that.

With DC's mainstream comic heroes, dark and psychotic doesn't work. I initially wrote more about this, but I will vent some other time.

And, truth be told, JL is still too dark in the way the heroes are portrayed, too. But, it isn't constantly slapping me in the face with it. Yes, JL Barry Allen is a neurotic who takes 10 minutes to find one family to rescue because he can't tell East from West (let's hope that doesn't complicate his personal life). JL Aquaman has sort of a surfer-meets-biker vibe, which strikes me as ... odd.

But, whatever. Overall, the movie mostly works. There were fun scenes and Easter eggs (even in the credit scenes). None of the characters were glaringly doing things that were just totally counter to their natures as heroes.
Currently reading: High Mage (The Spellmonger Series) by Terry Mancour
Just finished reading: Pelya (The Dralin Trilogy) by John H. Carrol

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #156 on: December 07, 2017, 05:10:17 AM »
So I broke down and watched it for myself last weekend and... it was ok. It's not fantastic by any means, but it's a step in the right direction after the abhorrent previous films. Enough, at least, to make me feel SOME hope that the DCEU is salvageable in the hands of someone who has a better understanding of these characters than Snyder.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2017, 03:05:40 AM »
Apparently 500 million is considered doing badly, so this film is basically a failure and might break even seeing as how they threw so much money at it.  DC films is being restructured.  Flash is getting a Flashpoint movie for his first film (which seems a really odd, and really dark choice for first film) and the Batman solo film will apparently be replacing Affleck and Norton.

The damage control continues.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/409051-warner-bros-planning-to-restructure-dc-films-division#/slide/1

Given that the reaction to this film has been at least somewhat positive, if not enthusiatic like Wonder Woman was, I'm thinking this is a more a result of the DC Universe having started to establish a reputation for their superhero films being not quite as good, then a reaction against this specific film.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:07:23 AM by catwhowalksbyhimself »
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

speakingofgeek.freedomforceforever.com