DC Extended Universe

Started by HarryTrotter, December 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat1987

Quote from: detourne_me on November 18, 2017, 02:40:24 PM
Just got back from seeing Justice League.  It was pretty darn good, actually!

Ya, saw it last night. Was a legit fun flick. Will go into more details later. DoJ and SS were really weak, MoS was a bit better, WW was really good, and this was flawed for sure, but was a really fun watch. I actually find it better than some of the MCU's weaker entries (IMO) like Iron Man 2 and 3 and Thor 2.

Quote from: kkhohoho on November 17, 2017, 01:53:22 AM
So over the course of nearly 24 hours, JL's tomatometer score has gone down from 43% (which wasn't very high to begin with,) all the way to 37%. Oofta.

Its back at 40% as of right now, and, for what its worth, it has audience score of 86%.

Red Fisser

If they could just jump from the small screen to the big screen(like x-files did).
Then they could just introduce the trinity through their respective series(mcu-netflix style instead of the cw crap)in order to build the characters backgrounds in full fleshed 13 episodes WHILE saving time instead of rushing everything and leaving  hundreds of plot holes in the way(that could only result to some paradox). Likewise they could start with a batman grounded noir detective  drama , a sci-fi adventure with social elements for superman and an epic fantasy adventure/social freedom/historical themed drama(?) for wonderwoman that would start to build the dceu, until it would conclude to each ones big screen adventure movie , and then perhaps some crossover special episodes to form the trinity, and to the conclusion a justice league series/which would have its own big events to take place on the theaters. And of course in that justice league bats could be the occasional helping hand for special missions that otherwise solves crimes in gotham instead of the party-animal thats everywhere/is open to everything from meeting anyone to taking the worst unthinkable risks..etc

kkhohoho

Quote from: Red Fisser on November 29, 2017, 06:11:06 PM
If they could just jump from the small screen to the big screen(like x-files did).
Then they could just introduce the trinity through their respective series(mcu-netflix style instead of the cw crap)in order to build the characters backgrounds in full fleshed 13 episodes WHILE saving time instead of rushing everything and leaving  hundreds of plot holes in the way(that could only result to some paradox). Likewise they could start with a batman grounded noir detective  drama , a sci-fi adventure with social elements for superman and an epic fantasy adventure/social freedom/historical themed drama(?) for wonderwoman that would start to build the dceu, until it would conclude to each ones big screen adventure movie , and then perhaps some crossover special episodes to form the trinity, and to the conclusion a justice league series/which would have its own big events to take place on the theaters. And of course in that justice league bats could be the occasional helping hand for special missions that otherwise solves crimes in gotham instead of the party-animal thats everywhere/is open to everything from meeting anyone to taking the worst unthinkable risks..etc

Sounds good. Just one problem: Budget.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Red Fisser

nah I think the netflix way for series is the best format for the superhero genre to shine without the need to be over the top expensive.
Plus it would save time as much as it would give it back, to tell the right stories in the most respectful way as well as to summon the right amount of money to start building up for the big screen leap.

HarryTrotter

You probably noticed Netflix shows have been pretty low key,in multiple ways.You couldnt really do Justice League or Superman in that way.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

stumpy

Saw Justice League today. Overall reaction: Not bad. Not great, but fun to watch.

All along, my issue with DC's recent movies (Wonder Woman aside) is that they just don't get their own characters. Zack Snyder has made some movies that I genuinely liked. E.g., I think Watchmen was a relatively faithful comic-book adaptation where I didn't leave the theater wondering if Snyder ever even read any of the comics. But, Watchmen was something of a deconstruction of the superhero mythology and Snyder's psychosis meshed very well with that.

With DC's mainstream comic heroes, dark and psychotic doesn't work. I initially wrote more about this, but I will vent some other time.

And, truth be told, JL is still too dark in the way the heroes are portrayed, too. But, it isn't constantly slapping me in the face with it. Yes, JL Barry Allen is a neurotic who takes 10 minutes to find one family to rescue because he can't tell East from West (let's hope that doesn't complicate his personal life). JL Aquaman has sort of a surfer-meets-biker vibe, which strikes me as ... odd.

But, whatever. Overall, the movie mostly works. There were fun scenes and Easter eggs (even in the credit scenes). None of the characters were glaringly doing things that were just totally counter to their natures as heroes.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Tomato

So I broke down and watched it for myself last weekend and... it was ok. It's not fantastic by any means, but it's a step in the right direction after the abhorrent previous films. Enough, at least, to make me feel SOME hope that the DCEU is salvageable in the hands of someone who has a better understanding of these characters than Snyder.

Spoiler
What I liked:

• Booyah. I know, it's cheesy and it's a trope for Cyborg to say it, but I grew up on Teen Titans and it was a fun nod to that series. And, credit where it's due, it felt appropriate to the scene. That said, awful design aside, Cyborg really does shine in this movie, and feels more central to the conflict then in the N52 JL origin this was clearly aping.
  • Superman FINALLY feeling like Superman. Now, there are a LOT of problems with character interpretation throughout, and Superman wasn't perfect... but after Man of Steel and then BvS it's nice to be back to Superman being a freaking SUPERHERO (I know, crazy thought right Snyder?), And while the change might seem kind of out of nowhere, I'm perfectly ok with it if it means getting a proper version of the character. The bit near the end where he just DESTROYS Steppenwolf after being like "Is he still bothering you guys, lol" was so SATISFYING, even if it also exemplifies a major problem with the film at the same time.
  • Alfred totally shipping Bruce and Diana. It felt so natural and was adorable AF.
  • Getting to see DC acknowledge Green Lantern exists again. I know the movie didn't do well, but I missed having a GL in the League lineup.

What I didn't like:

• *sigh* Aquaman. I know, I feel like I'm just jumping on the bandwagon there, but I genuinely was looking forward to Momoa's Aquaman and I feel there's potential there... but Snyder dumbed him down to being almost unrecognizable.
  • Steppenwolf was such a BAD villain for this movie to be hinged on, or rather, he was so badly implemented it made him a farce. Look, I know that DC's trying to keep the Darkseid card for another film and there REALLY wasn't time for him here anyway, but Steppenwolf and his army of faceless parademons just did not feel like a substantial enough threat compared to Loki in Avengers. And what's sad is, there's hints of more than we were shown... the scene with Hippolyta gave hints of a shared past that could have been more fleshed out with Diana in later scenes. Instead, we keep getting told he's "gone mad" after his defeat, but NOTHING in his actions or dialogue indicates this.

What's worse is that, he's not even that credible a threat IN THE FILM. Despite holding his own against the League in their first confrontation, the League then decides to immediately ignore him so they can take their sweet time resurrecting Superman. Focusing on preventing the macguffin that'll destroy the world from falling into his hands? Pfft, that can wait. It's a feeling not helped by the fact that the ONLY REASON he isn't defeated within minutes of the final confrontation is because Superman focuses on helping Flash save civilians in the area first before bothering to come back and utterly wreck Steppenwolf single handed.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apparently 500 million is considered doing badly, so this film is basically a failure and might break even seeing as how they threw so much money at it.  DC films is being restructured.  Flash is getting a Flashpoint movie for his first film (which seems a really odd, and really dark choice for first film) and the Batman solo film will apparently be replacing Affleck and Norton.

The damage control continues.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/409051-warner-bros-planning-to-restructure-dc-films-division#/slide/1

Given that the reaction to this film has been at least somewhat positive, if not enthusiatic like Wonder Woman was, I'm thinking this is a more a result of the DC Universe having started to establish a reputation for their superhero films being not quite as good, then a reaction against this specific film.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: HarryTrotter on March 17, 2018, 08:59:47 AM
So,a New Gods movie...

Directed by the same person responsible for A Wrinkle in Time. I think that's important to note. ;)

Silver Shocker

"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

GhostMachine

The movies interfering with the shows is....unfortunate (stupid). They've even said we won't be seeing Manu Bennett popping up as Slade Wilson again on Arrow, since Deathstroke is going to be in the Batman movie.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Silver Shocker on May 14, 2018, 09:11:35 PM
Why, it almost sounds like the movie division of DC is misguided and doesn't know what the heck it's doing, but we all know that can't be the case right? [trollface]

:lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

stumpy

It's too bad they couldn't have made Mera's hair, you know, like really red.  :P
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

HarryTrotter

So Shazam trailer was actually fun.Thou it seems to be Kickass via Stranger Things.
Aquaman trailer was kinda all over the place.Yet another war on the surface dwellers and all that.
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

Apparently, they have renamed the film universe The Worlds of DC.  Seems like about the most awkward thing they could possibly have chosen.

daglob

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on July 22, 2018, 02:33:12 AM
Apparently, they have renamed the film universe The Worlds of DC.  Seems like about the most awkward thing they could possibly have chosen.

Sounds like they named it for their old in-house fanzine, although it was The Amazing World of DC Comics.

bat1987

Quote from: HarryTrotter on July 21, 2018, 09:05:56 PM
So Shazam trailer was actually fun.Thou it seems to be Kickass via Stranger Things.
Aquaman trailer was kinda all over the place.Yet another war on the surface dwellers and all that.

Ya, Shazam looks like its gonna be fun.

Not sure what to think of aquaman yet.

Shogunn2517

https://youtu.be/-tpSybxWXPo

So now, my desire to see this movie went from about a iffy 1 to a solid 4.

(1 being a "if was on late night HBO, I'd go to bed", 4 being a "I might catch it on the Firestick to see if there are any connections or Easter eggs to Birds of Prey or some other DC film I'll inevitable watch")

BentonGrey

Man........this movie is so close to being right.  It seems like it's got an epic scope, a sense of wonder, and it even seems like it will actually deliver the classic costume....the only problem is that Aquaman is nowhere to be seen, just some goofy dude-bro wearing his clothes.  I knew this was going to be tough to stomach, but it is even worse than I expected.  I'm pretty sure they could have actually made a really fantastic Aquaman movie...if they had bothered to cast and write Aquaman.  The supreme irony is that Ocean Master looks more like Aquaman than the actor they've chosen.  (Of course, the girl they've got as Mera has her own problems, but they pale in comparison to Arthur's)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Silver Shocker

*chuckle* ah, that's too bad, because everytime I see a trailer for this movie I keep thinking "Ah man, I can't wait to see what Benton will think of this". I find this movie both looks "pretty cool" and "kinda cheesy". This trailer in particular, with its tomb raiding and running and jumping across rooftops makes me think of Uncharted, or you prefer, an Indiana Jones knockoff (which Uncharted pretty much is). The Aquaman/Mera banter made me go "so they're still making Aquaman really dumb". It kinda came off like a lesser Star-Lord. The underwater stuff still looks surprisingly cool, with Orm and Manta still looking cool in the cheesy-in-the-good-way way. It still looks like, with the underwater stuff at least, like DC spent a surprising amount of money on this, which makes me say I'm gonna feel kinda sorry for DC/WB when this thing bombs at the box office. "Mah man!"
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Ha, yeah, I figure there are a few people around here who have been waiting to get my take on it....but I've just been too disappointed in the wasted potential of this to say anything substantive.  It really, really does break my heart, and the fact that it looks like it could be so very close to right, as I said, just makes it all the worse.

"Show off....I coulda' just peed on it...uhr hur hur...."  :(

But yeah, I'm betting this thing tanks.
God Bless

kkhohoho

Thing is, even in the comics, it's hard to tell just who Aquaman really is. Is he a noble, straight-laced adventurer? Is he more of an aloof, laid back seaman? Or is he instead a temperamental, gruff barbarian warrior? The point being that it's hard to tell just what kind of character Aquaman's supposed to be because the writers keep giving him a new personality every so often, though you can't really blame them. Like a lot of other DC characters, Aquaman didn't have a real personality for the longest time, and sooner or later they finally had to give him one. But rather than just picking one and sticking with it, everyone ended up trying to do their own take on him, and the result may as well be that Aquaman has SPD. I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the movie's doing their own take on Aquaman, then it's not too different from what the comics tended to do.

HarryTrotter

Only,the trailer itself runs the gauntlet of all those versions.
So far DC/WB have done the same thing Bethesda has done with Fallout.They got all the elements of the source material,but non of its charm.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 05, 2018, 08:44:01 PM
Man........this movie is so close to being right.  It seems like it's got an epic scope, a sense of wonder, and it even seems like it will actually deliver the classic costume....the only problem is that Aquaman is nowhere to be seen, just some goofy dude-bro wearing his clothes.  I knew this was going to be tough to stomach, but it is even worse than I expected.  I'm pretty sure they could have actually made a really fantastic Aquaman movie...if they had bothered to cast and write Aquaman.  The supreme irony is that Ocean Master looks more like Aquaman than the actor they've chosen.  (Of course, the girl they've got as Mera has her own problems, but they pale in comparison to Arthur's)

Bingo.

TBH, as I said with The Justice League, Momoa's casting is almost as bad as his characterization. I'm sorry, I know that name on the right says "Shogunn2517" and not "Benton Grey" so I am FAR from an authority on the character. But in no interation I have seen or read does Aquaman act like a "bro" than something more authentic and SERIOUS. And he is not AT ALL.  And to be perfectly honest, from the trailer it seems even WORSE than it was in the Justice League.  So that's bad. And as much as I dread to belabor the point, Snyder said he casted Momoa to give the character more of a Polynesian/Maori background and origin, which to be perfectly honest would be a logical argument. Atlantis would be located closer to the Equator than Northern Europe, so a white and blonde characterization wouldn't make "real world sense". I could get that, even though you're ignoring how and why the character was written, that's ACTUALLY a sensible argument.  But that's not even the direction they're going!  Because the rest of the Atlanteans in the trailer are closer to what would look to their comic counterparts. So I'm like what was even the point of doing that?

But there are some good takeaways. A part of me would watch just to see more Black Manta. Talk about getting something right, they seem to have nailed that. Ocean Master looked terrific. The effects just seem to pop out the screen. The scale is almost breathtaking and they were bolder than ANY other DCEU property by going out their way of giving him probably one of the more comic accurate costumes, probably than any property I've seen in the last 20 years, save maybe Spiderman. But that's effectively scuttled with a bewildering casting and doofy characterization.

stumpy

I am certainly not going to defend where DC/WB is going with this, because... I don't know. And, frankly, I'm doubtful that anyone else who isn't directly involved with the movie knows, either.

But, this is largely an origin story movie. To wit, I think it's worth considering that the Momoa Aquaman we've seen so far (in the JL movie and in these trailers) is just starting his role as the heir to Atlantis. He isn't an established hero who's always accepted that he will be king some day and has been preparing himself for it. Instead, it's possible that the dude bro portrayal is consistent with someone whose mother abandoned him, leaving him with a strange legacy - a legacy with a nature and legacy that he can't really wrap his head around. So, he rejects this unknown (and possibly unknowable, to him) path he's been fated and follows grows up as far from a noble heir with those responsibilities as he can get. Thus, the dude bro.

None of that means that he can't come to some sense of who he should be and a (reluctant) acceptance of his responsibilities. But, he isn't going to start there. Once again, I have no idea where the movie goes beyond the trailer. But, if, by the end of the movie, Aquaman is shown becoming the hero we know he can be, then I am okay with that.

HarryTrotter

Not the best place,and Im late to the party...a serier about young Alfred Pennyworth in the 60's London.What is DCs fixation with prequels nobody asked for,and nobody cares for?
I mean,I like Alfred,but I dont care for some Men from UNCLE/James Bond thing with some familiar names and DC references sprinkled around.
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Well how about this for a series nobody asked for but everyone wants.

With the MoS franchise in at best limbo status with Cavil, I just heard reports that WB is in active development of Tyler Hochlin's Superman series, spinning off Supergirl.

Not much know other than my own sources(didn't really see it online anywhere else) but I think it's completely plausible.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on October 18, 2018, 12:23:13 AM
Well how about this for a series nobody asked for but everyone wants.

With the MoS franchise in at best limbo status with Cavil, I just heard reports that WB is in active development of Tyler Hochlin's Superman series, spinning off Supergirl.

Not much know other than my own sources(didn't really see it online anywhere else) but I think it's completely plausible.

Well, that sounds promising!  I quite liked THAT version of Superman.  Quite classic and oldschool.  That might explain why he's being featured in the crossover this year and why Lois Lane is being introduced and apparently features pretty heavily as well.