DC Extended Universe

Started by HarryTrotter, December 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Hmm, a 'young Alfred' series could be fun...if it were created in a different environment than that which we have.

A Superman show?  If they really went with a classic Superman, bright, hopeful, and heroic, I could actually be interested in this.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 18, 2018, 10:31:35 PM
Hmm, a 'young Alfred' series could be fun...if it were created in a different environment than that which we have.

A Superman show?  If they really went with a classic Superman, bright, hopeful, and heroic, I could actually be interested in this.

Supergirl's Superman is all of those things.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Panther_Gunn

They'd need to fix that costume, though.  Like, pull the Christopher Reeves one out of mothballs.  Unless they've fixed it in the year+ I'm behind on the show.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Tomato

I mean, if anything I'd prefer the Dean Cain costume (I prefer the deeper, shiny blue) but honestly... I've said this about the design before, but if we MUST have a Superman design devoid of the trunks, it's probably the best design I've seen without them.

First, it doesn't pretend it's some form of bizarre kryptonian armor/under armor the way both MoS and the original N52 design did, and instead looks more like general athletic gear, adding some detail but not so much that it's distracting. Second, it uses a thick red belt to break up the design in the same way the trunks used to, but still incorporates just enough gold that it's not out of balance the way the all red belt left the N52 Superman design. Third, I like the addition of the cape clasps... in another design they'd be a bit much (they did something akin to it with Injustice 2 Superman and... mehhhhh) but I think they work with Hoechlin's outfit because it brings back some of the gold/yellow we lose by having to make the belt red.

Really, my only major beef with the design is the boots. Superman's boots should have the divot in the front, the "M" to pair with the outfit's iconic "S". A lot of artists and designers either forget that or leave it out because it's too "silly" but I really do feel like it's an important element of the costume and it annoys me when it's not present.

But going back to the earlier discussion... I agree 100% with cat. It'd still be a CW show, so I'm sure there'd be the typical ZOMG DRAMA that the other shows fall into... but Tyler's Superman and Clark Kent have been pretty anti-Snyder in terms of what Superman stands for, in the best way. Supergirl may have some issues, but the Superman bits have been some of the biggest highlights and honestly do feel like they're ripped straight from the Reeves era.

BentonGrey

Yeah...he needs the trunks.  No Superman design is complete without the trunks.  I wonder if there's any hope to be found in the comics' return to trunks.

But otherwise, that all sounds hopeful.  I'd actually watch a DC TV show in that case, and that's saying something.  Heck, I think a classic-flavored Superman show is EXACTLY what the world needs right now.  Some hope and optimism would be very welcome.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

The problem with the trunks is that, like it or not, they are a product of their time. The design was inspired by circus performers and strongmen back in the 40s, and made total sense back then for that reason... But we're now 70 years past that being a thing, and it makes literally no sense for a hero coming into existence now to have them. You could excuse it even into the 90s by saying that it was Ma and Pa Kent harkoning back to their childhood, but at this point unless they're 80+ that's not really plausible either. They're such a joke outside the fan community that it's hard to justify in mainstream media. We looked at it sideways in my generation, and the further we get from the source of the inspiration the worse it's going to go.

That said, from a purely aethetic perspective, their absence is notable, moreso than any other superhero, and that's a problem. I feel like no one's really come up with a good alternative like we've seen in the case of every other hero who used to wear the trunks. Part of that is this obsession with adding the red into his belt and thinking that's enough, but I also feel like no one has a handle on the red/gold balance when they do that. I wish they'd try something like the Marvel did with Wolverine's outfit in the Whedon/Cassidy Astonishing era, thereby leaving the belt alone and adding the red in some other way.

daglob

The problem is that the red trunks break up the blue. They quit making sense a long time ago, but without them he still looks funny. Part of that is tradition, part of it is that they are now a design element. I find it amusing that during the New 52 Superman most of the DC Superman related products had trunks. They removed Batman's trunks a few years back, and they returned.

This coming from a guy whose avatar has neither belt nor trunks; It's more of a leotard and tights kind of thing.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 19, 2018, 12:28:57 AM

Supergirl's Superman is all of those things.

Indeed, from, I think, the very first episode he appeared, it was a common observation that the CW Supergirl's Superman is a better Superman than the one on the big screen at the time.

I'm not sure if that translates to needing his own show, but it could work. Fleshing out the character and giving the actor more material to work with might be just the thing to make the enterprise worthwhile. Though my concern is that a Superman and Supergirl show on tv at the same time could be redundant. Supergirl was already doing the tights AND the flights better in its first episode or so than Smallville was in, what was it, 11 seasons? So if you stripped out all the gender and social issues-themed show (which is a pretty part of Supergirl's focus) then you'd either have to focus more on those tights, flights and superhero fights (which they probably don't have the budget for, see Firestorm over in Legends of Tomorrow, or the many recycled shots of Barry running in Flash), do, basically Smallville all over again (does anyone want that?) or come up with someone to fill in the gap, like romance/relationship stuff with Lois Lane (Lois and Clark?)

QuoteYeah...he needs the trunks.  No Superman design is complete without the trunks.  I wonder if there's any hope to be found in the comics' return to trunks.

Well, Bendis made fun of Superman "wearing his undies on the outside of his pants" in the very first Superman story he wrote, despite DC's big marketing push to bring them back leading up to him taking over the book, thus undercutting that whole decision, so I wouldn't get too optimistic.

QuoteThe problem with the trunks is that, like it or not, they are a product of their time. The design was inspired by circus performers and strongmen back in the 40s, and made total sense back then for that reason...

The same thing applies to capes...superheroes originally wore capes because wrestlers wore different color capes so the audience members way in the back rows could tell who was who in the ring. So by that logic Supes should be ditching the cape too. (funny enough Magneto ditched the cape in Iron Man Armored Adventures so the animators wouldn't have to animate it....I better not give the Superman people any ideas).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

It COULD work,but we said the same thing about Gotham and Krypton and...pretty much everything else.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Silver Shocker on October 23, 2018, 07:28:57 AM

QuoteThe problem with the trunks is that, like it or not, they are a product of their time. The design was inspired by circus performers and strongmen back in the 40s, and made total sense back then for that reason...

The same thing applies to capes...superheroes originally wore capes because wrestlers wore different color capes so the audience members way in the back rows could tell who was who in the ring. So by that logic Supes should be ditching the cape too. (funny enough Magneto ditched the cape in Iron Man Armored Adventures so the animators wouldn't have to animate it....I better not give the Superman people any ideas).

Well.  Learn something new everyday I suppose.  I assumed it was more functional than fashionable.  At least in Batman's case they've given in a function that not only it makes sense, but quite necessary. However, i would also argue that in some media I've seen(IE Scyfy's Krypton) capes are apparently Kryptonian fashion.  Maybe less so with the trunks, which whether it's fashion or historical, just looks a bit dated these days.  At least IMO.

Tomato

The cape serves multiple artistic functions. Beyond just subtly harkoning back to cloaks of mideaval fantasy, the cape allows artists and filmmakers to show more dynamic movement, specifically regarding flight (which is kinda important for Superman). It's also an easy way to avoid having to draw the human body from some more awkward angles.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, the thing is that capes have no modern negative association.  In fact they are associated mostly with superheroes anyway.  People think superhero, they think capes.

The trunks, on the other hand, resemble undies, and that is what people associate them with.  People make fun of superman because he "wears his underwear on the outside." That is a negative association, so that's why it makes sense to get rid of, not just because it's an obsolete reference.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

yell0w_lantern

I've been watching stuff about Flash season 5 and I don't think Nora is as much of a rookie as she makes herself out to be - we saw her doing Speed Force language/calculations last season. I think she's trying to subtly manipulate the timeline to either prevent Barry's disappearance or to make sure he comes back. A speedster doesn't just travel back in time to meet dad and pick up a few pointers.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Panther_Gunn

Earlier today the Aquaman trailer was showing on TV.  Momoa was onscreen in some scene, and I asked the Minion who it was, and he said "I don't know.  Sabretooth?"  Once he was shown at the end of the trailer in his iconic costume he knew who it was, I just thought it was kind of telling on the successfulness of the casting.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

BentonGrey

Wow.....that is really apt, PG. 

"Heh, I was just gonna' pee on it." -This says everything necessary about their Aqua-dude-bro.
God Bless

HarryTrotter

Which is what WB said when they asked them if they were going to do justice to the source
Material.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Ha...that would be funnier if it weren't so true.... :P
God Bless

Silver Shocker

LOL. Ok, that got a legitimate laugh from me.

In any case, every time I see an ad for this movie I feel sorry for it and the people involved because they clearly spent an lot of money on it and it is almost certainly going to bomb, and people will making all-new jokes at Aquaman's expense for years to come Green Lantern style.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

It's getting positive reactions from critics!  :o

"2nd best DCEU movie!" "Up there with Wonder Woman" "The best DC movie since The Dark Knight" "As good as a Phase One Marvel movie" That last one was meant as something of a backhanded compliment, but hey, an improvement's an improvement!

Now all that's left is to see if it makes money (I'm still guessing it won't)

~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

And this is what has me most broken up about this movie.  It looks like it could be legitimately good, so I'm not all that surprised to hear that.  If Aquaman was actually in it, I think I'd be SUPER excited to see this flick.

But they poisoned their well very thoroughly.
God Bless

Tomato

I had a whole post mostly written out about life, the universe, and how it relates to this movie and it boils down to: Man, they sure took that narrative from Aquaman's origin about the atlanteans being prejudiced based on something as silly as hair color, which was a somewhat subtle way to teach people about the silliness of prejudice, and turned it into a bunch of pale white dudes (who IMHO are sporting some dorky looking man-buns) being distrustful of the one kinda brown dude in the movie (even though I'm pretty dang sure the whole idea of casting Momoa as Aquaman in the first place was that the Atlanteans were supposed to be islanders but WHATEVER).

Yeah yeah I know, it's just something that stood out to me with the trailer. Outside of that, I'm more or less in the same boat Benton's in... while I was more open to Momoa's casting, he's been little more than a jock comic relief character and it leaves a VERY sour taste in my mouth to see my favorite Justice Leaguer be turned into this nonsense. Even if it's the best DC movie ever, it's still not the Aquaman I fell in love with as a kid, so who cares?

BentonGrey

Quoteit's still not the Aquaman I fell in love with as a kid, so who cares?

Pretty much.  What's more, he's actively bad as an actor, and he's playing a character that's too dumb for me to relate to.  Even taking my personal stake in the character out of the equation, 'super bro' is never going to interest me.  I hope Amber Heard is better in the movie than she is in the trailers...esh.  She mostly looks the part, though.  Gah.  I can't get over that.  Almost literally everything else in the film looks and seems perfect.  Ahh, I'll shut up.  I'm just repeating myself.  :(
God Bless

kkhohoho

Honestly, every version of Aquaman I saw in the comics prior to Peter David turning him into Not!Conan the Barbarian was boring as sin to me, so I probably wouldn't mind too much. Doesn't mean the movie's gonna be good, but still.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Before PAD,Neal Pozner mini was pretty good.Thats the one with blue camo suit.
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

Kk, I can't help your poor taste.  :P  Ha, seriously though, did you ever read the SAG run from the late 60s/early 70s?  I love those stories, and they really bring Aquaman into his ow.  Or the modern run?  Honestly, despite how uneven all the New 52 stuff was, the modern run of Aquaman has some of his best stories ever.  Jeff Parker's time on the title was one of my favorites.  :)

Either way, in no version was Aquaman an aqua-bro and a moron.
God Bless

daglob

Hey, I enjoyed Aquaman through the '60s, during some crazy stuff from Jack Miller. Like a lot of comics of the day, Aquaman was a an adventure character, and no one believed the stories would ever be read a month after release. The later series that had Arthur wandering the underwater world righting wrongs and exploring the exotic locales was good; probably some of the best stories he was ever in.

BentonGrey

Yep, DG, that's the SAG run, where he's wandering from lost colony to lost colony.
God Bless

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on November 28, 2018, 05:03:19 PM
Yep, DG, that's the SAG run, where he's wandering from lost colony to lost colony.

Never even heard of it. Most of my experience with pre-PD Aquaman comes from Justice League, where he was mostly just kind of there. I tried checking out some of the Paul Levitz comics, but from what I read, it was just kind of okay. Levitz wouldn't really come into his own until his second LOS run, which is still one of the greatest comic runs of the 80's. Other than that, I'm somewhat leery of DC's Silver Age output in general. The fringe stuff like Doom Patrol or LOS was great, but most of their mainstream stuff like Superman, Justice League, or Flash didn't stack up with what Marvel was doing. And for all I know, Aquaman might be more of the same.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

MikeB7

Quote from: HarryTrotter on November 28, 2018, 02:34:48 PM
Before PAD,Neal Pozner mini was pretty good.Thats the one with blue camo suit.

That was a cool suit, I liked that mini.

HarryTrotter

I got around to seeing Justice League.That was generic.More cgi goons and blue holes in the sky.
Barry Allen is a kid sidekick with a bunch of syndroms and phobias.For some reason.
Funniest part was Bruce Wayne lecturing Aquaman on global warming...and then flying off in a private jet.
Jon Farmer