Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: DC Extended Universe  (Read 11393 times)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Re: DC Extended Universe
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2019, 11:04:20 PM »
Yes, I saw it, I liked it. Pretty funny. And it had a Man of Steel-esque action scene to boot.
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #271 on: January 24, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
Going back a few topics:

Jon Cryer is back, and he's holding a grudge for The Dude of Steel!

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/01/23/first-look-jon-cryer-as-supergirls-lex-luthor

Yeaaaah that looks pretty cool. I, like a lot of people was super skeptical when I heard this casting, but it might just work. I kinda doubt he'll unseat Rosenbaum, but he does, that'll be yet another thing the Arrowverse and Supergirl in particular did better than Smallville.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »
Here's that Shazam trailer, for those who haven't yet seen it.

And here's the teaser trailer for Birds of Prey, featuring the next appearance of Harley Quinn!:

Yep, that sure is a thing. Freeze framing through all the shots (or looking up screenshots online; I assume those are easy to find online now) reveal our cast: Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Black Canary, Ewen McGregor as Black Mask, Victor Zasz, and Batgirl/Black Bat/Orphan herself CASSANDRA CAIN! played by Ella Jay Basco, yes, the niece of Hook actor and Avatar The Last Airbender voice actor Dante Basco. Neat!

She looks, pretty good? I think she's a little more punk than I'd prefer, but hey, this is the same studio that brought us Suicide Squad! I'm just glad Cass has the opportunity to suck for once!

Director Kathy Yan has confirmed the film will be a R-Rating. I predict Deadpool getting salty about them riding his coattails Wolverine style!

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
Thats pretty...80's I guess?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2019, 02:31:01 PM »
Yep, it sure is 80's. Margot Robbie roller skating around makes me think of Xanadu or something. I mean considering the full title of the film: The full title, for those of you who don't know, is "Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" it seems like it's going to be weird for the sake of weird. Wacky as a general mission statement. The problem with that is you then don't have to necessarily deliver on good writing or characters as long as you make everything "edgy" and "alternative" and "punk" and "weird" and "wacky" and "indie" and "hipster". As at least two reviewers I watch have pointed out Suicide Squad was pretty much Hot Topic the movie....this is....um...something else comparable.

Remember how Katana said and did pretty much jack all in Suicide Squad, but it didn't matter, but she looked like the comics and standing alongside a bunch of characters in garish outfits and special effects and makeup and Rick Flag delivered a bunch of terrible exposition about Katana to make up for the fact that we're not going to see or learn any of that stuff organically in the flick? (rumor has it the entire SS film was pretty much stuff like that getting cut out in post) Yeah, I'm 100% prepared for Cass to be pretty much that. And for Ewin Macgregor to spend most of the movie NOT wearing a black skull mask (search your feelings, you know it to be true!)

PLEASE let this not suck. And if it's going to suck, can we at least have Cass be an actual character while they've actually got a chance for Cass to be in a non-cameo role in something?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 02:34:27 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »
Boy sure would be cool if Black Mask was... you know, wearing a black mask of some kind.
There is every possibility and chance to make this a good movie, I just doubt it will happen.
Why can't DC make good movies? What's wrong? Is it because they get scared from a business standpoint and want to make money?

Why not just find a good director with some decent vision, and let them make a good movie? It's not hard! It's happened before! Good movies exist.
THAT is what I am hoping the Joker is. Not confined to being a "franchise film," just being a good movie.

I ended up watching Aquaman the other day and was so bored I just fell asleep. It took me a long time to finish that already too long, boring film.

Offline kkhohoho

• Evil (but a hero) Santa Claus look-a-like
  • "He sees you when you're sleeping...
    • The Golden Age: Not Your Ordinary Fanfic
« Reply #276 on: February 14, 2019, 03:01:15 AM »
Boy sure would be cool if Black Mask was... you know, wearing a black mask of some kind.
There is every possibility and chance to make this a good movie, I just doubt it will happen.
Why can't DC make good movies? What's wrong? Is it because they get scared from a business standpoint and want to make money?

Why not just find a good director with some decent vision, and let them make a good movie? It's not hard! It's happened before! Good movies exist.
THAT is what I am hoping the Joker is. Not confined to being a "franchise film," just being a good movie.

I ended up watching Aquaman the other day and was so bored I just fell asleep. It took me a long time to finish that already too long, boring film.

At least we got Wonder Woman. That one was killer.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2019, 12:42:50 AM »
Anyone other than me seen the trailer for the horrid excuse for Shazam? Is this really what they are going to do to the Big Red Cheese? It looks a lot like an overlong, bad SNL skit about a dumb man-child wandering around with super powers! This is going to tank at the theaters big time!

Oh and because Will Smith is too busy with his podcast to reprise Deadshot in the Squad sequel, they tabbed Idrias Elba to take his place. As if we couldn't tell the difference between the two of them...and too busy with a podcast?!?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 12:47:22 AM by Deaths Jester »
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:57 AM »
Yeah, we brought it up earlier in this thread. You don't like what they're going for the Shazaam movie, eh? Sorry to hear it. I think I looks like it'll be fun. And early critic buzz on twitter is positive. Which I'm happy to hear.

Oh and because Will Smith is too busy with his podcast to reprise Deadshot in the Squad sequel, they tabbed Idrias Elba to take his place. As if we couldn't tell the difference between the two of them...and too busy with a podcast?!?
Didn't know it was because of a podcast. Yeah, that's a odd Edris Elba's a great actor, but him and Will Smith are too very different actors, both in appearance and build and acting and voice. Odd choice.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #279 on: March 12, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
This is going to tank at the theaters big time!
No,it wont.
Jon Farmer

Offline GhostMachine

• Flying through the sky, poking evil in the eye!
    • My Comic Art gallery
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2019, 03:29:51 AM »
It may not tank, but they could have done better casting for CM than Zachary Levi, and I don't like the light-up lightning bolt. They apparently made 8 costumes, and they cost a million dollars each. Going with something like `Its Billy in an adult body' and giving him a best friend who knows his secret identity doesn't appeal to me at all. I do like the casting of Mark Strong as Dr. Sivana, though.

Also, I'm not thrilled about Suicide Squad II, so far. I actually don't mind Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot, and I'm glad James Gunn is directing since the stupid decision to fire him from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies happened. But I'm not thrilled with some of the characters they're bringing in (two of whom were actually Wizard Magazine's "Morts of the Month"), and apparently Harley isn't going to be in it since she's getting a movie with the Birds of Prey. The one role I wish they'd recast? Rick Flagg. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a shorted-out toaster. (He's one of the reasons I've only watched the first episode of `Altered Carbson', so far.)

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2019, 12:03:43 PM »
Going with something like `Its Billy in an adult body' and giving him a best friend who knows his secret identity

I mean, that's how it's been in the comics since 1987, Post-Crisis. You really think they're gonna change that now?

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
Also, I'm not thrilled about Suicide Squad II, so far. I actually don't mind Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot, and I'm glad James Gunn is directing since the stupid decision to fire him from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies happened. But I'm not thrilled with some of the characters they're bringing in (two of whom were actually Wizard Magazine's "Morts of the Month"), and apparently Harley isn't going to be in it since she's getting a movie with the Birds of Prey. The one role I wish they'd recast? Rick Flagg. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a shorted-out toaster. (He's one of the reasons I've only watched the first episode of `Altered Carbson', so far.)

People seem to forget this, but originally Rick Flag was supposed to be played by Tom Hardy. Funny thing, of what I've seen Rick Flag was one of Joel Kinnaman's better roles. He was more subdued in the Robocop remake.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #283 on: April 06, 2019, 03:16:54 AM »
So I just watched Shazam! Last night. It was fun, and a lot more child-friendly than I expected. I'd put it at around Venom levels of quality. Not the best film, but nothing really terrible about it. So, its pretty much the third best DCEU movie now after Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Here are a few spoilers:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you see it in tye theaters, the mid credits stinger is pretty good, but the after credits scene is pretty lame. You could skip that

Offline Jimaras8

« Reply #284 on: April 06, 2019, 12:09:31 PM »
Third best DCEU doesn't mean much to me personally since i have only liked WW. AQ had some good parts but i couldn't care about any character at all.

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
« Reply #285 on: April 06, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »
Yeah, id say save your money then. I was able to use a free ticket. Otherwise I wouldnt have seen it.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #286 on: April 06, 2019, 08:36:16 PM »
It's getting good reviews. I'll see it down the line. I'll probably enjoy it. I did watch Aquaman recently and I thought that was alright. Not great but I enjoyed enough of it.

Here are a few spoilers:

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2019, 02:42:57 AM »

Personally, it's my favorite of the DC films by a WIDE margin. Don't get me wrong, I liked WW, but that is a good film dragged down by an AWFUL final act with the second worst case of a mustache causing issues in the DCEU. This is a FUN movie, from start to finish. Anyone here who's been looking for a fun romp in the DC universe that doesn't take itself super seriously (*cough*Benton you should actually see this one*cough*), Shazam is that movie. It has some issues sure, but I'll take "Fun but with a few plot holes" over whatever Garbage Snyder thinks makes a good film.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
I was saying this a little while ago with to a peer of mine. Is it making fun of Shazam? Yeah, I'd say so. But 1. So did all of the marketing for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with Peter Parker and 2. Let's be honest here. The more earnest oldschool version of Shazam as a movie was probably never going to be made [in the modern day] Plus, it's been established by juxtaposing the Big Red Cheese with other, less corny superheroes (including Superman of all people in JLU!) just makes for good humor and character dynamics. It's like, yeah, the JLU version of Question is NOT the Steve Ditko version or the Denny O'Neil version of the character, but that version was very entertaining so I'm ok with it.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #289 on: April 13, 2019, 05:39:04 AM »
Its actually a good movie.My complaint is that in ends in big CGI brawl like every other movie made in the last 10 years.
Jon Farmer

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #290 on: April 18, 2019, 06:52:46 PM »
So the Swamp Thing teaser is out.And his face looks pretty faithful.
Everything else I read about it is not as promising.
Jon Farmer

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
Uh, we already have a perfect Swamp Thing movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTTr8_DN8o

Ha ha ha.

But in seriousness, that's alright. Is it going to be spooky? I know nothing.

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #292 on: May 17, 2019, 05:38:28 AM »
It looks like the next choice for Batman is Robert Pattison.Im not sure if this is some elaborate prank.
Jon Farmer

Offline kkhohoho

« Reply #293 on: May 17, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »

Offline HarryTrotter

« Reply #294 on: May 17, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »
Robert Pattison

Who?
Oh,I made a typo,you owned me there. 😀
*Robert Pattinson.
Jon Farmer

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #295 on: May 17, 2019, 08:31:43 PM »
Edward Cullen from Twilight.

I do wonder how he is as an actor since those movies finished up. A lot of people (myself included) initially thought Ben Affleck was a odd choice to play Batman, so I suppose I should have an open mind.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
« Reply #296 on: May 17, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
Twilight. He's Twilight.

He's actually not so bad though. He was good in Cosmopolis.

So, is this a totally different Batman? Is it Dick as Batman? Did they drop the shared universe idea?
I guess I could google all this, but I always lurk here for info.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #297 on: May 17, 2019, 09:42:03 PM »
So last I heard the Batman movie is going to be a prequel with a younger Batman. That was apparently DC's way of getting around not wanting to recast Batman after Ben Affleck played him.

Which, I'm a bit frustrated by. 1. Because I actually would have liked to see Ben Affleck play a Batman in a movie that was wholly about Batman and 2. Because Deathstroke was supposed to be the villain in it, and if they're changing it to a prequel with a younger Batman, then I guess that means that Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke doesn't get to pay off?

Now, a younger Batman movie could be cool. But we already got Batman Begins, so I'm not sure it's worth doing unless they bring something to the table that wasn't already done....or done well. Which is why I think they might as well do Robin. Or Batgirl. Or both. Now yeah, they're doing a Titans show and that has Robin in it, but they already established Robin in the DCEU (unless of course they just reboot by then).

I also recall them saying this would be more of a detective movie...which is another route to do. Despite Batman carrying the nickname "The World's Greatest Detective" there's actually very little detective work in the various Batman movies (and what is there isn't particularly well done)
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018