DC Extended Universe

Started by HarryTrotter, December 16, 2015, 07:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Yes, I saw it, I liked it. Pretty funny. And it had a Man of Steel-esque action scene to boot.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Going back a few topics:

Jon Cryer is back, and he's holding a grudge for The Dude of Steel!

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/01/23/first-look-jon-cryer-as-supergirls-lex-luthor

Yeaaaah that looks pretty cool. I, like a lot of people was super skeptical when I heard this casting, but it might just work. I kinda doubt he'll unseat Rosenbaum, but if he does, that'll be yet another thing the Arrowverse and Supergirl in particular did better than Smallville.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

Here's that Shazam trailer, for those who haven't yet seen it.

And here's the teaser trailer for Birds of Prey, featuring the next appearance of Harley Quinn!:

Yep, that sure is a thing. Freeze framing through all the shots (or looking up screenshots online; I assume those are easy to find online now) reveal our cast: Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress, Black Canary, Ewen McGregor as Black Mask, Victor Zasz, and Batgirl/Black Bat/Orphan herself CASSANDRA CAIN! played by Ella Jay Basco, yes, the niece of Hook actor and Avatar The Last Airbender voice actor Dante Basco. Neat!

She looks, pretty good? I think she's a little more punk than I'd prefer, but hey, this is the same studio that brought us Suicide Squad! I'm just glad Cass has the opportunity to suck for once!

Director Kathy Yan has confirmed the film will be a R-Rating. I predict Deadpool getting salty about them riding his coattails Wolverine style!

~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Thats pretty...80's I guess?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yep, it sure is 80's. Margot Robbie roller skating around makes me think of Xanadu or something. I mean considering the full title of the film: The full title, for those of you who don't know, is "Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)" it seems like it's going to be weird for the sake of weird. Wacky as a general mission statement. The problem with that is you then don't have to necessarily deliver on good writing or characters as long as you make everything "edgy" and "alternative" and "punk" and "weird" and "wacky" and "indie" and "hipster". As at least two reviewers I watch have pointed out Suicide Squad was pretty much Hot Topic the movie....this is....um...something else comparable.

Remember how Katana said and did pretty much jack all in Suicide Squad, but it didn't matter, but she looked like the comics and standing alongside a bunch of characters in garish outfits and special effects and makeup and Rick Flag delivered a bunch of terrible exposition about Katana to make up for the fact that we're not going to see or learn any of that stuff organically in the flick? (rumor has it the entire SS film was pretty much stuff like that getting cut out in post) Yeah, I'm 100% prepared for Cass to be pretty much that. And for Ewin Macgregor to spend most of the movie NOT wearing a black skull mask (search your feelings, you know it to be true!)

PLEASE let this not suck. And if it's going to suck, can we at least have Cass be an actual character while they've actually got a chance for Cass to be in a non-cameo role in something?
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Boy sure would be cool if Black Mask was... you know, wearing a black mask of some kind.
There is every possibility and chance to make this a good movie, I just doubt it will happen.
Why can't DC make good movies? What's wrong? Is it because they get scared from a business standpoint and want to make money?

Why not just find a good director with some decent vision, and let them make a good movie? It's not hard! It's happened before! Good movies exist.
THAT is what I am hoping the Joker is. Not confined to being a "franchise film," just being a good movie.

I ended up watching Aquaman the other day and was so bored I just fell asleep. It took me a long time to finish that already too long, boring film.

kkhohoho

Quote from: UnkoMan on February 12, 2019, 04:10:07 PM
Boy sure would be cool if Black Mask was... you know, wearing a black mask of some kind.
There is every possibility and chance to make this a good movie, I just doubt it will happen.
Why can't DC make good movies? What's wrong? Is it because they get scared from a business standpoint and want to make money?

Why not just find a good director with some decent vision, and let them make a good movie? It's not hard! It's happened before! Good movies exist.
THAT is what I am hoping the Joker is. Not confined to being a "franchise film," just being a good movie.

I ended up watching Aquaman the other day and was so bored I just fell asleep. It took me a long time to finish that already too long, boring film.

At least we got Wonder Woman. That one was killer.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Silver Shocker

Yeah, we brought it up earlier in this thread. You don't like what they're going for the Shazaam movie, eh? Sorry to hear it. I think I looks like it'll be fun. And early critic buzz on twitter is positive. Which I'm happy to hear.

QuoteOh and because Will Smith is too busy with his podcast to reprise Deadshot in the Squad sequel, they tabbed Idrias Elba to take his place. As if we couldn't tell the difference between the two of them...and too busy with a podcast?!?
Didn't know it was because of a podcast. Yeah, that's a odd choice. Edris Elba's a great actor, but him and Will Smith are too very different actors, both in appearance and build and acting and voice. Odd choice.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

GhostMachine

It may not tank, but they could have done better casting for CM than Zachary Levi, and I don't like the light-up lightning bolt. They apparently made 8 costumes, and they cost a million dollars each. Going with something like `Its Billy in an adult body' and giving him a best friend who knows his secret identity doesn't appeal to me at all. I do like the casting of Mark Strong as Dr. Sivana, though.

Also, I'm not thrilled about Suicide Squad II, so far. I actually don't mind Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot, and I'm glad James Gunn is directing since the stupid decision to fire him from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies happened. But I'm not thrilled with some of the characters they're bringing in (two of whom were actually Wizard Magazine's "Morts of the Month"), and apparently Harley isn't going to be in it since she's getting a movie with the Birds of Prey. The one role I wish they'd recast? Rick Flagg. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a shorted-out toaster. (He's one of the reasons I've only watched the first episode of `Altered Carbson', so far.)

kkhohoho

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 13, 2019, 03:29:51 AM
Going with something like `Its Billy in an adult body' and giving him a best friend who knows his secret identity

I mean, that's how it's been in the comics since 1987, Post-Crisis. You really think they're gonna change that now?

Silver Shocker

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 13, 2019, 03:29:51 AM
Also, I'm not thrilled about Suicide Squad II, so far. I actually don't mind Idris Elba replacing Will Smith as Deadshot, and I'm glad James Gunn is directing since the stupid decision to fire him from the Guardians of the Galaxy movies happened. But I'm not thrilled with some of the characters they're bringing in (two of whom were actually Wizard Magazine's "Morts of the Month"), and apparently Harley isn't going to be in it since she's getting a movie with the Birds of Prey. The one role I wish they'd recast? Rick Flagg. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a shorted-out toaster. (He's one of the reasons I've only watched the first episode of `Altered Carbson', so far.)

People seem to forget this, but originally Rick Flag was supposed to be played by Tom Hardy. Funny thing, of what I've seen Rick Flag was one of Joel Kinnaman's better roles. He was more subdued in the Robocop remake.
~Rocky Balboa

detourne_me

So I just watched Shazam! Last night. It was fun, and a lot more child-friendly than I expected. I'd put it at around Venom levels of quality. Not the best film, but nothing really terrible about it. So, its pretty much the third best DCEU movie now after Wonder Woman and Aquaman.

Here are a few spoilers:
Spoiler
so Sivana was more like a Sabbac type character, using the power of the seven deadly sins, but that's OK. He has the potential to become full on crazy scientist. Seeing a whole new Marvel family was pretty interesting too.
If you see it in tye theaters, the mid credits stinger is pretty good, but the after credits scene is pretty lame. You could skip that

Jimaras8

Third best DCEU doesn't mean much to me personally since i have only liked WW. AQ had some good parts but i couldn't care about any character at all.

detourne_me

Yeah, id say save your money then. I was able to use a free ticket. Otherwise I wouldnt have seen it.

Silver Shocker

It's getting good reviews. I'll see it down the line. I'll probably enjoy it. I did watch Aquaman recently and I thought that was alright. Not great but I enjoyed enough of it.

Quote from: detourne_me on April 06, 2019, 03:16:54 AM
Here are a few spoilers:
Spoiler
so Sivana was more like a Sabbac type character, using the power of the seven deadly sins, but that's OK. He has the potential to become full on crazy scientist. Seeing a whole new Marvel family was pretty interesting too.

Spoiler
The New Marvel family, like this version of Sivana, is taken directly from the modern comics. Regardless, DC/WB have made a concentrated effort to keep them out of the trailers (with the Freddie's kid form appearing extensively, and I've seen an ad where Mary appears for one quick joke) so a lot of people get to be surprised, which is pretty cool.

I think the classic mad scientist version of Sivana might be seen as an anachronism in the modern day (by the filmakers/creative team) I mean, you could still do it (and hopefully do a better version than Jesse Eisenberg's Lex Luthor) but I think they just felt this new version made things more simple and more straightforward, plus they probably wanted to hold off on doing Black Adam until a later movie, so as to not overshadow Billy Batson. Plus, if they'll still going off the modern Johns interpretations, Black Adam's presence would presumably make the film quite a bit darker, which was clearly not the angle they were going for here.

Was pretty amused to hear Mr. Mind shows up in the post credits scene. That's great!  :D What did he sound like? I would guess a digitally-altered high-pitched voice?
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Spoiler
They did a MOSTLY good job of keeping media spoiler free. When the collector toy line has ALL 7 members of the family with Sivana... that spoiled the surprise for me.

As for Mr. Mind... when I heard it, I got confused because I thought I was hearing The Brain. I'm so used to that type of voice for that character from TT and YJ it threw me off until I saw him.

Personally, it's my favorite of the DC films by a WIDE margin. Don't get me wrong, I liked WW, but that is a good film dragged down by an AWFUL final act with the second worst case of a mustache causing issues in the DCEU. This is a FUN movie, from start to finish. Anyone here who's been looking for a fun romp in the DC universe that doesn't take itself super seriously (*cough*Benton you should actually see this one*cough*), Shazam is that movie. It has some issues sure, but I'll take "Fun but with a few plot holes" over whatever Garbage Snyder thinks makes a good film.

Silver Shocker

I was saying this a little while ago with to a peer of mine. Is it making fun of Shazam? Yeah, I'd say so. But 1. So did all of the marketing for Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse with Peter Parker and 2. Let's be honest here. The more earnest oldschool version of Shazam as a movie was probably never going to be made [in the modern day] Plus, it's been established by juxtaposing the Big Red Cheese with other, less corny superheroes (including Superman of all people in JLU!) just makes for good humor and character dynamics. It's like, yeah, the JLU version of Question is NOT the Steve Ditko version or the Denny O'Neil version of the character, but that version was very entertaining so I'm ok with it.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Its actually a good movie.My complaint is that in ends in big CGI brawl like every other movie made in the last 10 years.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

So the Swamp Thing teaser is out.And his face looks pretty faithful.
Everything else I read about it is not as promising.
Jon Farmer

UnkoMan

Uh, we already have a perfect Swamp Thing movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGTTr8_DN8o

Ha ha ha.

But in seriousness, that's alright. Is it going to be spooky? I know nothing.

HarryTrotter

It looks like the next choice for Batman is Robert Pattison.Im not sure if this is some elaborate prank.
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Edward Cullen from Twilight.

I do wonder how he is as an actor since those movies finished up. A lot of people (myself included) initially thought Ben Affleck was a odd choice to play Batman, so I suppose I should have an open mind.
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

Twilight. He's Twilight.

He's actually not so bad though. He was good in Cosmopolis.

So, is this a totally different Batman? Is it Dick as Batman? Did they drop the shared universe idea?
I guess I could google all this, but I always lurk here for info.

Silver Shocker

So last I heard the Batman movie is going to be a prequel with a younger Batman. That was apparently DC's way of getting around not wanting to recast Batman after Ben Affleck played him.

Which, I'm a bit frustrated by. 1. Because I actually would have liked to see Ben Affleck play a Batman in a movie that was wholly about Batman and 2. Because Deathstroke was supposed to be the villain in it, and if they're changing it to a prequel with a younger Batman, then I guess that means that Joe Manganiello as Deathstroke doesn't get to pay off?

Now, a younger Batman movie could be cool. But we already got Batman Begins, so I'm not sure it's worth doing unless they bring something to the table that wasn't already done....or done well. Which is why I think they might as well do Robin. Or Batgirl. Or both. Now yeah, they're doing a Titans show and that has Robin in it, but they already established Robin in the DCEU (unless of course they just reboot by then).

I also recall them saying this would be more of a detective movie...which is another route to do. Despite Batman carrying the nickname "The World's Greatest Detective" there's actually very little detective work in the various Batman movies (and what is there isn't particularly well done)
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

So. I was recently trapped on a metal tube for two hours, so I saw Aquaman. In short, it was fine, but I'm glad I paid $0 for it tbh.

Spoiler
I will say right out of the gate... I do get what people were talking about regarding this movie setting him on the path to be the strong character from the comics, but I think it's deeper than that. Where in JL he's JUST Aqua-jock, I think in his solo film it's pretty clear the frat boy attitude is a defence mechanism, a way to keep other people, especially women, at arms length. He plays the fool, but the dude knows at least 4 languages (though with all the languages they were introducing you'd think they'd actually make an Atlantean language.) is a student of history, and generally very sensitive to other cultures.

Other then that... It's ok. Like, the whole "global quest" thing was ok, but I found the movie to be very oddly paced and some of the logic super funky. Like, there's NO reason for them to have gone to Atlantis other than to show it off and to have the first fight scene there. The whole shoving pollution back on land thing was also just bizarre, because Orm hadn't even gotten his army ready yet, and serves no other function except "we need a reason for Aquaman to see things are serious and get involved."

Silver Shocker

So I watched Shazam. Pretty great, honestly. Yeah, I'd have to say of all the DCEU movies, it's gotta be the one I enjoyed the most.
~Rocky Balboa

Silver Shocker

So our buddy Zach Snyder is back in the headlines lately, still talking about Justice League (I know, I know, but hear me out, this one's preeeety cool) We've heard about the mythical "Snyder Cut" and I talked about it at length earlier in this thread. But recently Snyder put out storyboards proving that Harry Lennix's military general character from Man of Steel (who was also in Batman V Superman as the U.S. Secretary of Defense).....was The Martian Manhunter the whole time!!!  :o

WHAAAAAAA?! [[apparently it was fan theory going all the way back to Man of Steel's release]

Did David S. Goyer know about this?  :blink: And according to Snyder, he filmed ALL the scenes with MM, except the stuff with Lennix. So you all remember that "Unite the Seven" buisiness? The seventh JL member was in these movies the whole time and we never knew?!!

The storyboard also reveals that he was in the movie pretending to be Martha Kent, talking to Lois. And since that scene IS in the released version, Martian Manhunter technically is in the movie.

Then again....that does raise a question as to why he was discouraging Lois from "putting back [Superman's] halo" in BVS.
~Rocky Balboa