Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Happy Holidays!

Author Topic: DC Extended Universe  (Read 18383 times)

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
Re: DC Extended Universe
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2019, 12:47:55 AM »
So our buddy Zach Snyder is back in the headlines lately, still talking about Justice League (I know, I know, but hear me out, this one's preeeety cool) We've heard about the mythical "Snyder Cut" and I talked about it at length earlier in this thread. But recently Snyder put out storyboards proving that Harry Lennix's military general character from Man of Steel (who was also in Batman V Superman as the U.S. Secretary of Defense).....was The Martian Manhunter the whole time!!!  :o

WHAAAAAAA?! [[apparently it was fan theory going all the way back to Man of Steel's release]

Did David S. Goyer know about this?  :blink: And according to Snyder, he filmed ALL the scenes with MM, except the stuff with Lennix. So you all remember that "Unite the Seven" buisiness? The seventh JL member was in these movies the whole time and we never knew?!!

The storyboard also reveals that he was in the movie pretending to be Martha Kent, talking to Lois. And since that scene IS in the released version, Martian Manhunter technically is in the movie.

Then again....that does raise a question as to why he was discouraging Lois from "putting back [Superman's] halo" in BVS.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 01:11:24 AM by Silver Shocker »
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2020, 11:26:53 PM »
Getting back to a topic that started....over two years ago?  :o Wow, where did the time go?

All-time great versions of Lex Luthor. Specifically, Superman: Red Son. I've finally started reading it because I wanted to read it before I watched the animated movie.

Quote from: BentonGrey
I haven't read those new stories, SS, but I do love Luthor as a hero, albeit a very flawed one.  I think my all-time favorite Lex Luthor story may be Superman: Red Son.

Quote from: Silver Shocker
Man, I really gotta read Red Son sometime, especially since a rumor hit recently that DC may be making an animated film adaptation of it.

Quote from: BentonGrey
You definitely do.  It's really quite good, and the Luthor portrayal by itself makes it worthwhile.

Well, I'm on the opening scene with Lex, and after reading the first three panels featuring the character, my response was literally "This is one of the greatest versions of Lex Luthor I've ever seen."
I don't buy for a second that any non-powered human would be as smart as him in real life, but he totally comes off as the coolest guy ever. He makes Tony Stark look like a loser.

Also the bit with his winning multiple chess games in a row was portrayed on-screen in one of his earlier appearances on the Supergirl Tv series, which makes sense, as that story arc featured a Supergirl version of Red Son Superman called Red Daughter.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 02:14:50 PM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #302 on: April 26, 2020, 10:42:47 PM »
Nice!  It's a good story, but it's a great take on Lex.  His last scene is actually the clearest distillation of the character to me.  I always think of that when I think of Lex.  I hope you continue to enjoy it!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/bentongrey2

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2020, 02:19:51 PM »
Just finished it. Pretty good story, but yeah, Lex was great in it. But boy did that ending lay it on thick...and then got really weird!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2020, 03:47:14 PM »
Yeah, that ending for him is perfect.  He saves the world, becomes adored hero he always wanted to be...but what REALLY mattered to him was proving that he was better than the alien.  :lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #305 on: May 20, 2020, 03:35:44 AM »
So, having heard good things about Darkseid War, I made a day of watching through any I had not seen via DC Universe, then watching Darkseid War. I haven't always been a fan of the "DCAMU" but I liked both the Titans movies, and there have been gems and fun moments along the way.

However, personally, I hate this film and everything it stands for.

Offline BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #306 on: May 20, 2020, 11:01:24 PM »
Interesting, 'Mato.  I have no love or affection for those movies, really, and you know my feelings on blank-slatting things.  Of course, that only works if you're prepared to fix the problems that messed things up in the first place, which I've got no reason to assume that they are.  Of course, the only movies of that bunch I've seen have been actively bad or tremendously flawed.  I did see a bit of Death of Superman, which didn't look too bad, but not enough to have a real opinion.  Throne of Atlantis was a real mess.  :P
God Bless

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #307 on: May 23, 2020, 02:11:16 AM »
[SS sees the "SS Signal" in the sky, does the Micheal Keaton pose]

Watched Red Son. Not too bad, but one of many instances of the book being better.

It's a middle ground between super-faithful DC adaptations (Year One, DKR) and loose adaptations (pretty much everything else they've done). Some scenes, like Superman's confrontation with Batman and the dance with WW, are almost identical. While other stuff is completely different.

On to...sigh...On to Justice League Dark: Apokalypse War (long title). Well, Tomato, if it makes you feel any better.....I hated it too.  :(

Well, Zack Sydner's Justice League came out early. I mean, I see DC finally made an animated movie of Future's End...I mean, I see DC's still ripping off Marvel by ripping off Endgame again...I could go on all day.

Well on the plus side, Matt Ryan as John Contantine is as excellent as ever. It's bizarre that he gets top billing in the big finale to the DC Animated Movie universe (apparently it starring Constantine and Raven makes it "Justice League Dark"), but oh well. I was also happy to see Damien and Raven again, and Lady Shiva popping up was neat.

And the "Fight Club" sequence is pretty much the best scene in the movie. 

In general, if you've seen all the other movies in this set (as I have), it is kinda neat to see all these different characters pop up again. Like IW/Endgame. Of course, not nearly as good, but oh well.

On the other hand...well, this is the most R-Rated DC movie that ever R-Rated. The violence in this movie is very gratiuitious, and we even have Raven of all people delivering an F-Bomb. That was surprising.

This is a perfect time for me to once again reiterate: Dark is not good. Good is good.

While we're on the topic of the DCAU animated movies in general, I wrote a review of Justice League vs the Fatal Five back when it came out, but didn't end up posting it. That was a pretty fun movie.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 09:01:03 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #308 on: May 23, 2020, 02:34:52 AM »
What floors me SS, is that you bring him up... but this was likely written alongside Doomsday Clock, written by Geoff Johns, who arguably told this exact story (dark future that's supposedly the ultimate result of the changes post-flashpoint) in a way that didn't make me so vehemently angry... heck, I actuallly LIKED Doomsday Clock in the end. I don't think it's as good as it thinks it is, but ultimately it's purpose is to restore the DCU to a better place without invalidating what came before. And that book also had a perfectly suitable dark future that we need to correct, without the need for constant mindless, gory deaths.

It almost feels like things should be reversed, with the needlessly gory Darkseid War being the child of semi-edgelord Geoff Johns, and Doomsday Clock the story by the animation studio trying to tone things down a bit for kids. But this movie is just ALL IN on the Edgelord, while you have Geoff Johns seemingly trying to restore the history and fun he helped take away.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Scoots McGoots
« Reply #309 on: May 23, 2020, 02:45:01 AM »
I actually am a bit of an outcast in that I really enjoyed Doomsday Clock...the reason I brought up Johns is, because, for all his love of violence and limbs being torn off, he fairly consistently has the writing chops to make up for it. This, for whatever reason, does not. I did check the credits for this thing, the writer is Mairghread Scott, who's got a pretty extensive resume writing for children's entertainment (such as TF and the GotG cartoon), she's fairly reliable, which makes it all the more disappointing that this thing isn't better. If I read on Tvtropes later that this thing was heavily mandated by the higher-ups, I'd believe it though [EDIT: I did, and it was] - it's a roadmap of almost everything wrong with modern DC (well, not quite - the Joker makes no appearance whatsover in it, but for whatever reason Joker was not a major character in this set of movies).

The thing that actively makes me angry about this thing, is that there are so many moments of payoff in this thing, that in a better or different movie in this set, would be so much more satisfying. All of the stuff with Raven and Damien should have been really impactful and enjoyable, except it's in this, a movie where nothing matters and nothing lands.

You, know, just this morning I was remembering the short-live cartoon "Beware the Batman" and was wondering why DC has struggled so much to make a decent, long-lasting Batman animated show lately. And now I'm kind of reminded why. DC always seems to be in a weird place, and their animated movies are a great example of that.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:51:01 AM by Silver Shocker »
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018