Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Boot 'Em and Bring 'Em Back - Marvel Edition

Started by Nyte Dragon, January 25, 2021, 09:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyte Dragon

Same rules as the DC thread apply. Here's a refresher

Quote from: Night Dragon on January 24, 2021, 12:12:59 AM
This is all a hypothetical exercise. YOU have the power to bring back (or push to the forefront) from obscurity, ONE character in the Marvel roster. Not a group, team, or book, just one specific character. Want to bring back G.I. Robot, you got it!

But there is a catch There's always a catch, isn't there? Like Sir Isaac said, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So to bring someone back, someone else has to go. And you choose who goes up on the chopping block. BUT, he says with a sinister smile, you can't bring back Hindsight Lad and just toss Jay Schway to the chopping block. It has to be someone of some importance.

And to make it even more fun, although you don't have to do this  :rolleyes:, give us a little detail in how you would bring them back... and take the other one out.  :lou

You got the power to bring them back, but the responsibility to boot one of them.

WHAT'S YOUR CALL?

Who would I bring back? This is a tough one, since I'm not sure who is alive, dead, or just unused in Marvel these days. But I am a fan of the New Warriors from back in the Vol. 1 days, so it would be a toss-up between Speedball or Namorita. And if push came to shove, I'd give the nod to Speedball. But, I'd have him, not ditch, but lose alot of the angst they piled on him from Civil War. This is one of the reasons I never liked Joe Q's run at Marvel.
You could bring him back, dealing with his guilt, but still be a jovial character as well. Spidey does it, well most of the time he does.  :wacko: And I know some people would point out that Spidey only lost Uncle Ben, Speedball was responsible for an entire school's worth of children and teachers getting vaporized. But the truth is, he was not responsible for the explosion, that blame falls on Nitro and Namorite. Speedball would actually be suffering from 'Survivor's Guilt'. Granted they may have said that in the books, I couldn't read any of the, IMO, drek containing him as Penance. He's already back in Marvel, AFAIK, he just needs a boost back into the spot light. I do suggest that maybe a name change could be in order, since speedball, is a slang term for a drug cocktail.  :blink:  Maybe Bouncing Bo... oh yeah, already taken. But yeah, bring back Speedball.

Now, who to sacrifice? And how? Well this being Marvel, even slinging them into the sun is no guarantee they'll stay dead.  :P Anywho, let's see.... I'm not touching any mutant, as right now they have a MAJOR revolving door for the afterlife in their books. Otherwise Magik would be getting the axe. I can handle old Illyana being emo-angsty, but now a days, she's just straight up a bad word for female dog. Nope the grand prize of passing on is going to go to... Iron Fist.

I like Iron Fist, I real do! I think the concept they built up for the background is a great one. It's also very similar to Slayers from Buffy :TVS ,and I would pay to see a Buffy/Iron Fist crossover series for just that reason. You could do it with Buffy and Iron Fist teaming up and in doing research, they discover this isn't the first Slayer/Immortal Living Weapon team up. Seeing past versions of both would make for a cool read. But, I digress. By picking Iron Fist, I mean the current version, Danny Rand. Have Danny assassinated by Bullseye, and the next Iron Fist is called up. Colored me bored, but I'm tired of the stereotype rich vigilante (Batman, Iron Fist, etc, etc. ) in the role of hero. Marvel liked making angsty, problem having teen heroes and here's a chance to do that. And it would give readers a fresh new take on the Marvel Universe through a newbie's eyes.

So that's my take, bring back Speedball, and take out Danny Rand's Iron Fist.

(And I swear my third choice to bring someone back was nearly Slapstick. No lie!)
Hate is always foolish and love is always wise.
 ⁓Doctor Who

Silver Shocker

Oh you scamp.

QuoteOtherwise Magik would be getting the axe. I can handle old Illyana being emo-angsty, but now a days, she's just straight up a bad word for female dog.

You should see her in the New Mutants movie. Which I really, really liked, but for some ungodly reason they made Illyana casually racist toward poor Danni Moonstar in the movie. This naturally did not go over well.

QuoteBut I am a fan of the New Warriors from back in the Vol. 1 days, so it would be a toss-up between Speedball or Namorita.

Here's the sitch....I had to give the ol' wiki a once over, but Nita's kinda-sorta back.

In DNA's run of Nova, She came back due to a temporal rift that brought back a version of her from an earlier point in time. Despite the book lashing attention on how great this was, when this run ended and many of the characters from DNA's cosmic books just kinda disappeared for a few years. Then In Chris Yost's run of New Warriors, a new character was brought in named Water Spider, and the running plot was that Justice and Speedball were thought she was really Nita, and she was revealed to be a servant of Namora sent to retrieve that version of Namorita, but I guess she got distracted due to the events of the book (I didn't read it) and didn't end up doing it. So a version of her is out there, but she's just not around right now.

I do like the character though (Namorita, not Water Spider) so I'd enjoy seeing her again.

QuoteAnd if push came to shove, I'd give the nod to Speedball.

Funny thing about that. As part of the "Outlawed" story going on right now (Civil War, but specifically for teenagers - I haven't read the still-ongoing Champions mini but I LOVED the one-shot - the story is very Viv centric) there was a new New Warriors series that was going to come out but, as I understand it, is now delayed. It was going to feature a lot of goofy new characters that many grumbled about, but also was set to feature manyo f the originals (looking real nice in the modern art), including Speedball. So he's ALREADY BACK right now.

Now, on the one hand, the Penance business was smoothed out years ago, on the other hand, as I understand, Yost dredged it up again for his run because he really likes angst. So your pitch for him still kinda works.

Iron Fist/Buffy - interesting idea! Could be cool.

Mine..... oh boy.

Who comes back?

QuoteAnywho, let's see.... I'm not touching any mutant, as right now they have a MAJOR revolving door for the afterlife in their books.

Yup, and that made my pick very hard to choose.

I had to double check several characters, because all of them came back recently in books I didn't read. So after doing more research, my answer is Genis-Vell aka Genesis aka Captain Marvel aka Photon aka crazy cosmically aware guy with a star pattern all over himself who totally got done dirty.

How would I bring him back? Well, he was scattered across the Darkforce Dimension by the Moonstone by Zemo, so Moonstone will use the Moonstones (with help from Blackout I guess - or some other character who accesses the Darkforce) to bring back Genis.

Who goes? Oh ho.

The main 616 version of Doctor Octopus.

*double checks Wiki* Oh for crying out loud.

To quote Into the Spider-Verse's Peter Parker "I am so tired."

Doc Ock's back, AS Doc Ock, AS a villain, in perfect health, and STILL at large after all the stuff he's gotten away with, due to a deal with (of course) Mephisto.

In my story, Otto finally gets caught, get sentenced for every last thing he's done since Dan Slott took over the character, including but not limited to attempted mass genocide and aiding and abetting Hydra, and is sentenced to multiple life sentences, and then is shanked to death in prison.

Alternatively, the Punisher shoots him in the head.

Then Mephisto tells him he is never, ever coming back to life. 
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I would bring back Blade. I think he's alive just forgotten. As for kicking out...there are so many flat,self-insert,one-note characters that I could just say anyone introduced since 2014-2015...or mashups like Gwenpool or Gwenom...
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Um, I don't know how to tell you this, but Blade is the main Avengers book these days.
And he has a baby Man-Thing on his shoulder that turns into full-body armor.
Yes, it's stupid, and makes very little sense. It's Jason Aaron's Avengers, so that's kinda the name of the game.

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 26, 2021, 07:03:30 AM
I would bring back Blade. I think he's alive just forgotten. As for kicking out...there are so many flat,self-insert,one-note characters that I could just say anyone introduced since 2014-2015...or mashups like Gwenpool or Gwenom...

You should pick the new Patriot. That way Eli from Young Avengers can take the identity back.  :)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Im out of the loop on the Avengers,since...well,a few years at least.  So can we bring back Wolverine's cigar? Idk,there is barely anyone absent at Marvel.

Im not surprised there is a new Patriot...Anyway,this universe has heroes called Safespace and Snowflake so kicking out part would be just too easy. This is the opposite of DC,most of their lame/annoying characters got phased out by now.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

QuoteAnyway,this universe has heroes called Safespace and Snowflake so kicking out part would be just too easy.

Those two characters were new characters in the new New Warriors book, which, as I said above, has been delayed and isn't out yet. So unless they've appeared in a book before that, technically they might not count as being in the Marvel U yet. I actually thought that book might have been cancelled before it ever came out, but I think it's just delayed. According to the Marvel Wiki, they haven't appeared yet, but it's not always up to date - it's page on Blade, shockingly, is missing everything from Aaron's run of Avengers.

In fairness, if they haven't come out yet, that means we don't know if the characters themselves are bad or annoying, just that they really dopey superhero names (and, as I understand it, powersets) but most fans of the superhero genre understand that it's who they are that makes a great character, not what they can do.

Funny thing is, and I totally forgot this, Snowflake was already the name of a Marvel character - she was one of the people on Sarge's team in season 6 of the Agents of Shield tv show.

QuoteThis is the opposite of DC,most of their lame/annoying characters got phased out by now.

I got a big dopey grin on my face, because I picked Mys-Tech, a lame, annoying DC character from the Nineties. Then again, Ben Reilly, Azreal and 90's Superboy have fans too, and I like all three of those characters.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I was joking,and again,Im not up to date. Last time I checked,mostly everyone was annoying and out of character.

QuoteFunny thing is, and I totally forgot this, Snowflake was already the name of a Marvel character - she was one of the people on Sarge's team in season 6 of the Agents of Shield tv show.
That would be easy to miss,tbf.

While I risk somebody saying "actually,Scorn is back in Superman" or something like that; at least DC gave up on attempts to make Outsiders or Vigilante happen. And we haven't seen Yazz in something like 25 years. Okay,annoying supporting characters from Dark Age Justice League is too obscure of a category.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Well...I'm goign back in the past to a guy who has stayed dead forever to dig up my bring back to lifer...I'm bringing back the villain, Paul Destine! Want to know about him, go here.

How am I bringing him back? Well, he possessed natural telepathy so who's to say that his swan dive off the building was nothing more than a massive hoax? He could've easily made everyone believe he died when in truth he tossed someone else that resembled him off the roof. 

As for who to slaughter?  Hmmm.....let's go big and get rid of Thanos!  He's been overused as the big bad for too long and there hasn't been any real character development on him either.  How to kill him? Let Gamora and Drax finally fulfill their mission and slice him into tiny Thanos bacon bits!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 26, 2021, 06:27:42 PM
Well...I'm goign back in the past to a guy who has stayed dead forever to dig up my bring back to lifer...I'm bringing back the villain, Paul Destine! Want to know about him, go here.

How am I bringing him back? Well, he possessed natural telepathy so who's to say that his swan dive off the building was nothing more than a massive hoax? He could've easily made everyone believe he died when in truth he tossed someone else that resembled him off the roof. 
That's a deep cut reference right there. Never heard of him.

QuoteAs for who to slaughter?  Hmmm.....let's go big and get rid of Thanos!  He's been overused as the big bad for too long and there hasn't been any real character development on him either.  How to kill him? Let Gamora and Drax finally fulfill their mission and slice him into tiny Thanos bacon bits!!

Nice. I approve.  :thumbup: I know ol' Grimace has had some starring vehicles in the comics over the years (most recently, Thanos Wins) but I haven't read those (except Thanos Quest) so I can't speak to how they handled his characterization.

If Drax and Gamora aren't power enough maybe they can get their hands on some Infinity Stones. Again.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

For a moment I thought you were talking about ClanDestine. That would be nice.

Speaking of overused villains- Loki?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Loki or Emma Frost would have been picked by me if not for Doc Ock.
~Rocky Balboa

Deaths Jester

Quote from: HarryTrotter on January 27, 2021, 07:05:42 AM
For a moment I thought you were talking about ClanDestine. That would be nice.

Speaking of overused villains- Loki?

ClanDestine is still alive, if memory serves me right.  Marvel though just doesn't know how or what to do with them because they were partially part of Marvel UK.  Look how long it took them to incorporate Killpower and MotorMouth into the MU.  I could, though, see them popping up in something like a Captain Britain comic....

As for Loki....def overused but also used incorrectly.  He's a god of mischief, not god of destroy everything!!  Def could see him go if they were to replace him with a true God of Mischief that is about MISCHIEF...mainly cause Thor needs something to do!! (Would consider dumping Thor too)
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.