Wonder Woman Movie

Started by Midnite, January 16, 2016, 04:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Kinda expected Lucy Lawless there. :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Well if Kingdom Come gets adapted soon...
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

From the first looks, it seems like they are going in the way of Captain America: The First Avenger, which is not a bad thing.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

abenavides

www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

style

The Ultimate Fan!

Talavar

It does indeed look good.  Let's hope it sheds the stink of BvS and is a big success.

docdelorean88

What are those bright colors? Are they, smiling? IS THE CAMERA BROKEN?!

All jokes aside, this looks SO much better than what weve been getting and i think DC may have turned its leaf over(aka kicked Snyder to the curb post JL1)
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

BentonGrey

Well...I'm rather astonished at the color.  The magic lasso looks particularly cool.  I hope they do this character justice, because she deserves it.  I might actually be able to enjoy this movie, being unconnected to the rest of their cinematic universe. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

New trailer for Wonder Woman dropped today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q8fG0TtVAY

I think it looks great!  Here's hoping Warner Bros actually stick the landing on this one.

Tomato

... Yeah, I'll bite. After the truly disappointing other films, this looks to be a significant step up

Jimaras8

I won['t bite. Sorry i hate Stockholm Syndrome. We are talking about he company that had made 3 maybe 4 good superhero films in the last 20 (!!!!). They can release as many trailers as they want. They ain't fooling me.

Talavar

While that's fair, these movies are made by different people, so I think you can judge them on their own merits.  While Wonder Woman may end up as the next casualty over at DC, it looks good so far, and I'm hopeful about it.

Jimaras8

Same studio all those years. No matter how many directors WB hires they drop the ball 8/10. The only one managed to stay above water was Nolan. So when i have already seen 10 DC movies in the past 16 years in theaters and i still lament my time and money most for the majority of them how can i be faithful? MOS trailers were great as well. BvS comic-con trailoer dropped my jaw to the floor. SS's trailers promised a much better movies than what i saw.

WB/DC has betrayed my trust and goodwill most times than not. I may sound angry because i am. They have had numerous chances.

HarryTrotter

I see they havent gotten over slow-motion...
Jon Farmer

Glitch Girl

In the words of Fox Mulder, "I want to believe."

[sigh]
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

dudalb

I have to give DC credit for avoiding the obvious World War 2 setting and going for World War One instead.
SInce there is WW 1 aviation angle,I an kind of hoping for a Hans Von Hammer (Joe Kubert's Enemy Ace) reference.

BentonGrey

That would be cool.  I suppose it will depend on how schooled in the comics the writers are.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

So while there aren't full reviews yet, several critics have taken to social media to say that Wonder Woman is far and away the best DCAU film. Granted, that's not exactly a high bar to clear... but there's also talk that it was genuinely funny and even critics who did offer criticism of the third act admitted they still liked the film.

I dunno how to feel now. I'd kind of written this one off (mostly because of the rest of the DCEU rather than any fault from this film) but I'm actually a little more hopeful now. I'm still a little burned by the other films, but I might actually see this one in theaters.

spydermann93

I'm going to see Wonder Woman and Justice League when I'm able to (definitely not opening weekend). I liked Man of Steel (despite its flaws), but didn't care much for Batman v Superman or Suicide Squad. I didn't hate either of them; they were both more of a "turn-off your brain and enjoy the action" type movies, as Snyder movies are wont to do. Since none of the movies have been particularly bad in my opinion, I'm willing to give Wonder Woman a shot. If that movie flops in my eyes, Justice League will be the last redemption, regardless. If Justice League doesn't do well for me, DC's out of my book.

Tomato

Admittedly, I liked MoS well enough as well (I remember defending it a bit back when it came out) but the problem I have with BvS especially is mostly in its tone. It's trying to be a "mature" and "serious" take on Batman and Superman, but it comes across as juvenile fanfiction more than anything else, especially with as many comic arcs as it shoves into the movie seemingly without rhyme or reason. It doesn't help that the movie is basically a love letter to Frank Miller's work on Batman, which itself is often juvenile and idiotic.

Suicide Squad was arguably better in that regard, but it suffered mostly from having too much going on and the editing left it with some pretty awful pacing issues. Moreover, they should have just left Joker out of the film from the get go, he added nothing and Leto's antics after the film came out were an embarrassment.

That said, I WANT to like Wonder Woman. I WANT to like Justice League. It's just that I want to like them for the same reason I fell in love with them in the comics... and so far that hasn't happened.

spydermann93

Quote from: Tomato on May 20, 2017, 07:07:58 PM
Admittedly, I liked MoS well enough as well (I remember defending it a bit back when it came out) but the problem I have with BvS especially is mostly in its tone. It's trying to be a "mature" and "serious" take on Batman and Superman, but it comes across as juvenile fanfiction more than anything else, especially with as many comic arcs as it shoves into the movie seemingly without rhyme or reason. It doesn't help that the movie is basically a love letter to Frank Miller's work on Batman, which itself is often juvenile and idiotic.

Suicide Squad was arguably better in that regard, but it suffered mostly from having too much going on and the editing left it with some pretty awful pacing issues. Moreover, they should have just left Joker out of the film from the get go, he added nothing and Leto's antics after the film came out were an embarrassment.

That said, I WANT to like Wonder Woman. I WANT to like Justice League. It's just that I want to like them for the same reason I fell in love with them in the comics... and so far that hasn't happened.

I'm right there with ya, man. I'm right there with ya. :(

catwhowalksbyhimself

Found this, which is roughtly half scenes from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBL15El6ujI

Good news, the Lasso of Truth is still in and still does what it does.  It does look promising.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Spyder, we can no longer be friends!  :P

Yeah, chances are this one could actually be decent, but I'm not paying money to watch any DC films until they burn all of this down and start over again.  It's a poisoned universe they're playing in.
God Bless

Tomato

See, I've always been of the mindset that, in the hands of a good creative team, even the most awful concept can be done properly. For every One More Day, there's the potential for something like Itsjustsomerandomguy's happy hour to exist. For Every Sins Past, there's potential for some good stories to be told with Gabriel and Harry. No idea, however awful it seems at the time, is value-less. It's why I defended the death of Zod in MoS... there's POTENTIAL there for that to have been the catalyst for Superman never killing again, for him to decide to always find a better way in the future, to grow into the Superman I love. And frankly, the cast they have here is stellar. Even dubious choices like Affleck and Gal Gadot have proven to be some of the highlights of otherwise meh films.

The PROBLEM is that the ship is still being run by the same captains who steered it off course to begin with. Zack Snyder in particular has proven to be THE WORST possible choice to helm this universe. The man said that he'd have had Batman raped in prison for God's sake. And even with him now being downplayed quite a bit, it's still the same people above him and the same people above them that chose him in the first place.

THAT BEING SAID. Of every DCEU film, Wonder Woman is the one I really want to work. Even if the rest of the DCEU burns and dies around them, WW is the first female led superhero film since ELEKTRA. Whether we like it or not, if it fails it's not going to be seen by Hollywood as "oh, this is just DC being toxic to everything" it's "Yep, yet another female led superhero movie failed, so much for that Black Widow movie." Like it or not, that's the reality.

Fact is, this movie is pretty historic. It's a female led superhero/action movie with a female director featuring a major DC character who hadn't even appeared in theaters until this decade. And I DESPERATELY want it to be as good as it seems to be.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The fact that it takes place before the rest of the universe and therefore is completely separated from all the otherfilms for now at least is a huge plus, IMO, and one of the reason I am very hopeful.  Everything they've show so far has not departed too far from the comics either.  The Lasso of Truth and even the comment about her origin seem to line up.  I don't know if she started as clay in this one, but she does say that she has no father and Zeus gave her life at her mother's request, so it's going to be pretty close.

It may yet be a dissappointment, but it's far enough away from the rest of the universe that if it turns out good and JL turns out terrible, I can easily take it by itself and pretend that the rest doesn't exist.

Also, if it turns out successfully, it may help turn the rest of the series around.  Probably not, but it could happen.  WB clearly knows it's not quite going right, but they don't know what to do about it.  Give them someone who clearly does and there might be hope.

So, fingers crossed.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

Saw it last night.  Overall I enjoyed it a lot.... until the big reveal at the end. Even so, it was well worth the price of admission.  Gal and Chris have wonderful chemistry together, the supporting cast is great and the story was pretty good up until the aforementioned reveal.

Spoilery thoughts:
Spoiler

There are some small changes in the Wonder Woman mythology, kind of a melding of nu52 and classic.  In this one, the Amazons were created by Zeus to restore peace to the world after Ares corrupted it.  This lead to a big battle of the gods, and Zeus protects the Amazons with his dying breath.  Diana was told she was made from clay, but actually she is Zeus' daughter with Hypolita.  It's implied that the Amazons are eternal but it becomes very clear that they are not immortal.  Personally, I always liked the "made from clay" aspect, but I guess I'm behind the times.  [sigh]

Themyscira is beautiful and colorful, which acts as a good contrast for when Diana reaches the outside world (as opposed to EVERYTHING being grey 24/7 because REALISM).  The action with the Amazons training and later fighting germans is very dynamic. Overall I was very pleased with that section of the movie.

There is also some nice bits of humor sprinkled throughout.  This is something that's been missing from DC Cinema for a while now.

Sadly though, Snyder's fingerprints are all over the final act after Diana kills the general she thinks is Ares in disguise, thinking it will release all the soldiers from his influence, and nothing changes. This would have been a good note to transition to something else on, but instead, the REAL Ares shows up, all this time disguised as a British official with a very British mustache, and exposes for a bit and then they fight.  wheee.

The reason I mentioned the mustache is that during his exposition, we see Ares defeated by Zeus, and then we see him nursing his wounds AND HE HAS THE SAME FRICKIN MUSTACHE!  I almost laughed out loud. 

Besides the mustache, Ares is a very generic villain and gets a surprisingly forgettable over-the-top by-the-numbers fight scene with Diana.  It felt like studio edict to be honest.  I was loving the movie until then, and suddenly "meh". 

It's a shame because the rest of the cast is really quite enjoyable.  Steve and Diana have great chemistry together and a lot of fun and sometimes funny moments.  Diana is naive about the outside world, but never seems helpless in it and Steve is there to try to smooth out the bumps a bit along with his secretary Etta Candy who I also liked a lot.  Later we meet a team of what best can be described as "misfits" who are also a fun group that have hidden depths which are slowly revealed.  I liked them and I'm glad they survived, even if Steve does not (I did say spoilers).  I can see why they killed Steve, but I'm still not 100% happy with it. [sigh]

The no man's land scene was terrific.  This is the first time we see her in full costume, and it works so well.

The movie does nothing to explain what she was doing between the end of WWI and BvS, so don't expect anything on that front.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka