News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Okay. Starting the mod......

Started by WyldFyre, February 05, 2016, 02:20:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyldFyre

If I could pick everyone's brains for a bit.  Setting up the mod folder is easy enough. After that, is the first step to set up the characters being used? Or is it better to set up the map first?

To be fair, I am still reading through some of the documentation, and I intend to use EZScript. But, I am trying to get a grip on the order of things.

So any help would be appreciated.
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

Howdy Wyldfyre, that's exciting!  We definitely need more modders working in the community these days.  I'd say start with the characters, and then do the maps.  I actually recently discovered a post I had started but never finished on my blog that was sort of a crash course on modding.  I should finish that and make it available. 

In the interim, please do ask away with any questions you may have.  I'm sure we'll all be more than happy to help a new modder get started!

What's the subject to be, if you don't mind my asking?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

WyldFyre

I'm planning a Fawcett mod. One with some of the lesser known characters as well as the "Big Red Cheese" and family.  I have a soft spot in my little heart for Spy Smasher and Bulletman.

I know we don't have a Mr. Mind, but there are enough Cap villains (Sivana, Captain Nazi, and Mr. Atom to name a few) to make it interesting.  I'm going to attempt a few skins of some villains who, I think, have never been done before.

I don't know if map editing will work for me, but I'm going to give it a try. 

Since most of the Fawcett stories are from WWII and the 50s, the FFvtTR sets are somewhat tailor made.
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

That sounds like great fun WF!  Remember that my mod work is available for adaption and cribbing.

Don't be afraid of map editing.  For the most part, there are enough awesome maps that you can find what you want without having to do much more than place encounter markers. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

WyldFyre

I freely admit to looking through your DCU mod for some inspiration.  :)

I do have a question though.  I notice that no one really uses hero files anymore.  Is that due to ffx or something else?  It looks like running the characters through the ffx control center and adding them to the .dat file is the preferred method.  Is that right? Or am I missing something?
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

Consider yourself quite welcome!  Everything I make is free for the community to use as it desires!  All I ask is a readme mention!  ^_^

I think that's pretty fair to say.  The basic reason for this is that building them into the Dats just gives you more options.  You can add string entries, you can tweak their prestige costs and rewards, you can fiddle directly with AI, ranges, all kinds of stuff.  Plus, it means you can just pack up your mod folder when you're ready to release and not worry about HFs.
God Bless

WyldFyre

Gotcha.  As a side note... is it necessary to keep the original FF characters, or can they be removed/replaced as needed?  I am thinking I don't really need them and I might could use the space for others.

Also, I have EZFX installed, but will the ezfx editor read any fx I need to manually add?
For Freedom!

WyldFyre

Just thought of another question.  Does anyone know if a skin exists for Fawcett's Master Man.  He was introduced in Master Comics #1.  (Hoping someone might know)
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

WF:

1) They CAN be replaced, but I find that everything runs a lot more smoothly when you just leave them alone.  It seems to occasionally cause weird errors to remove them.

2) I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, but you can add any FX to a mod, provided you do the setup manually, and it will play just fine with any pre-installed stuff, like EZFX.

3) I'm almost 100% positive that Master Man does exist and is even in the DCUG. 
God Bless

spydermann93

Quote from: WyldFyre on February 05, 2016, 10:09:14 PMAlso, I have EZFX installed, but will the ezfx editor read any fx I need to manually add?

EZFX Editor? I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if you're asking if the FFX Control Centre will recognize new FX that you install, I believe that it will.

WyldFyre

Yeah. Meant FFX control center.  Typing faster than my mind was working.
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

Okay, I completed that walkthrough I was talking about:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/2016/02/05/modding-with-ezscript-an-outline/

You're probably already past this point, WF, but this was a good opportunity to finish it and make such a resource available to the community.
God Bless

daglob

Been awhile since I really looked at Cap, but was there ever a time when Mr. Mind had some kind of transportation? I'm reminded of my Mr. Freek and Bruto (not my scope), and the Krang in Benton's Turtle mod. Is there a little wormy looking mesh piece we could put on something? This isn't meant to hijack the thread, but it might be a way to have Mr. Mind in the game and in your mod.

WyldFyre

Benton - Actually that is very helpful  on a couple of points. And I found the Nazi Master Man in the DCUG, but not the hero. Could you point me toward the correct folder?

edit: I found the one I remembered. It's by Copperage. But if you had one in the DCUG that is different, I'd still like to find it.

DaGlob - The only thing I really remember (going back and looking at some old issues now) is a bubble I once saw him in. I would suspect however, that some form of transportation is necessary.  He IS a worm after all. :)  I'll look into a few things.
For Freedom!

daglob

That's Master Man, alright; Copper Age did two of him (There are a couple of Nazi Mastermans, too). I could send them someplace if you want them (I see you found one of them), or I'm sure that they are at one of the Copper Wire Yahoo Groups (We've been trying to be sure that EVERTHING by CA is in one or the other).

I did find one reference to Mr. Mind operating a kind of transportation: he was operating a robot/android body going by the name of Mr. Wonderful.

BentonGrey

So, it seems that the Master Man in my mod is on a skope of Ren's Captain Nazi, complete with Nazi salute.  It's got a skin by Justintyme2174 and one by C6.  You can find the mesh (Master_Man_Ren_CNazi) in the Custom_Characters directory, because I was woefully ignorant when I started modding: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\DCUG\Art\custom_characters\Master_Man_REN_CNazi"
God Bless

WyldFyre

Quote from: daglob on February 06, 2016, 04:25:37 AM
That's Master Man, alright; Copper Age did two of him (There are a couple of Nazi Mastermans, too). I could send them someplace if you want them (I see you found one of them), or I'm sure that they are at one of the Copper Wire Yahoo Groups (We've been trying to be sure that EVERTHING by CA is in one or the other).

I did find one reference to Mr. Mind operating a kind of transportation: he was operating a robot/android body going by the name of Mr. Wonderful.

I've got one Captain Nazi mesh by WingZero and 2 Master Man meshes and skins (meshes by REN and Gren). Are there other Cpts out there?

Feel free to send anything to me at ekrdm09 at gmail dot com. And I'm glad to see Copper still getting some love.  I had a LOT of his skins aot, but I can't find the disks I had made of them.

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 06, 2016, 05:10:04 AM
So, it seems that the Master Man in my mod is on a skope of Ren's Captain Nazi, complete with Nazi salute.  It's got a skin by Justintyme2174 and one by C6.  You can find the mesh (Master_Man_Ren_CNazi) in the Custom_Characters directory, because I was woefully ignorant when I started modding: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich\DCUG\Art\custom_characters\Master_Man_REN_CNazi"

That's the one I found. Bonus! It has two...count em... two Captain Nazi skins.
For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

If your interested, I made a few "Captain Nazi" Skopes/Skins waaay back when. I'd be glad to send them your way to check out.

WyldFyre

Thanks for the e-mail DG.

Cyber - That would be great. Did you preview those? I vaguely remember seeing a Captain Nazi on the forum somewhere.
For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

I just checked the ones I did out, they're pretty old, and in desperate need of an update, which I'm now planning to do.

But in the meantime, if you want to check them out, they're located here:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/cyber_burn_33_ffvttr_files/info

In the "Skopes and Hexes" section.

WyldFyre

Okay, working on this as time permits.  Have downloaded the M25 mod tools, but can't seem to find the documentation.  Also, I seem to remember that installing ffx gold added the M25 minimods, or am I wrong about that?  Anyway, I hope to have some Fawcett goodness at some point.  If someone could point me to the M25 documentaion I would appreciate it.
For Freedom!

Cyber Burn

I don't know if it's what you want or not, but I have M25's Tutorial on Making a Mini-Mod. Maybe a couple of other things I could send you as well if you're interested.

WyldFyre

That would be great Cyber.  Still trying to get everything to play nice with the GOG version.
For Freedom!

BentonGrey

WF, I'll be happy to help in any way I can, and you might find my tutorials useful.  Start with the EZScript and other documentation, but I have some stuff to add to that.:

https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/category/ezscript/
God Bless

WyldFyre

For Freedom!

OrWolvie1

Just a quick moment to chime in here. Best of luck on your mod, Wyldfyre. It's a LOT of work, and here's hoping that your endeavor goes a lot better than mine did! I'll offer whatever meager assistance I am able to.

Best Wishes

Cyber Burn

There's a little bit of a variety of information in here, and maybe some repetitive stuff as well, but hopefully some of this will help you out with your project.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/zuqj3tyqsxvrv7f/Mod_Tutorials.7z

WyldFyre

Thanks CB.  Lot of good info here. Starting to set up the characters and then on to the first mission.
For Freedom!