News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Creation

Started by OrWolvie1, February 16, 2016, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 11, 2016, 04:48:37 AM
Sorry, I certainly know the feeling.  Don't give up.  You WILL figure it out eventually.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I am traveling for a conference this week AND trying to finish my grading and my own papers.

Don't sweat it, BG. It's all good. But one thing I've learned over the years us when you get frustrated with something, walk away. All it's going to do is urine me off and then I'm going to scrap the whole nine yards. So it's time to step back for a while, give it a rest and start fresh another time. I certainly hope I get it figured out, but at this point in the process, I'm not so sure. Which is why I'm stepping away from it for a while.

OrWolvie1

Hello all.

Needless to say my brief hiatus didn't last very long and I'm back at it once again. And I was hoping that one of you talented members of this community can assist me with this issue I'm having with another FX, which is any of the Boomerangs. Anytime one of my characters utilizes a boomerang attack of any kind, I get this white boomerang-shaped image that appears in front of the character, as you can see from this picture. Look at the shoulder of the civilian and you will see what I mean. And it stays there until the end of the mission. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

spydermann93

I've never been able to figure out the issue, myself.

I do, however, have some batarang FX made by gren that both look good AND don't cause the little shuriken error!

I'll see if I can find the pack and I'll send 'em your way :)

EDIT: Here they are! http://www.mediafire.com/download/z7li915051bzhye/Batarangs_Gren.zip

They don't have proper sounds to them, BUT you can use the shuriken throwing sound effect and whichever contact sound effect you want for each of the batarangs.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on May 14, 2016, 06:28:14 PM
I've never been able to figure out the issue, myself.

I do, however, have some batarang FX made by gren that both look good AND don't cause the little shuriken error!

I'll see if I can find the pack and I'll send 'em your way :)

EDIT: Here they are! http://www.mediafire.com/download/z7li915051bzhye/Batarangs_Gren.zip

They don't have proper sounds to them, BUT you can use the shuriken throwing sound effect and whichever contact sound effect you want for each of the batarangs.

Sounds good, Spyder. I'll check it out and let you know. I think it has something to do with FFX as I haven't added any boomerang or batarang FX except for the ones that came with the latest FFX. I have a couple of the Batarang FX that Gren did that I thought about testing out and seeing if that may fix the issue. Nice to see someone else having the same idea, though not that others are having the same issues. And what's weird is CB sent me some FX for Boomerang and the same issue crops up with those as well. Very strange.

BentonGrey

Fortunately, this is a SUPER easy fix.  Something is wrong with the Shadow shuriken FX that many projectiles use as their start.nif.  Just delete that start.nif from any offending FX, and problem solved.  The FX will still play perfectly fine.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 15, 2016, 03:55:03 AM
Fortunately, this is a SUPER easy fix.  Something is wrong with the Shadow shuriken FX that many projectiles use as their start.nif.  Just delete that start.nif from any offending FX, and problem solved.  The FX will still play perfectly fine.

Wow. Thanks for the assist, BG. I'll check it out. Thank you!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on May 14, 2016, 08:51:33 PM
Sounds good, Spyder. I'll check it out and let you know. I think it has something to do with FFX as I haven't added any boomerang or batarang FX except for the ones that came with the latest FFX. I have a couple of the Batarang FX that Gren did that I thought about testing out and seeing if that may fix the issue. Nice to see someone else having the same idea, though not that others are having the same issues. And what's weird is CB sent me some FX for Boomerang and the same issue crops up with those as well. Very strange.

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 15, 2016, 03:55:03 AM

I don't recall seeing the Shuriken Effect on my Boomerang FX, at least on my PC. I don't know if Benton's fix would work on them, since I'm pretty sure that my Boomerang FX's didn't have a Start.Nif. In the same respect though, I never ran them with FFX, so there may be an issue there.

OrWolvie1

Update:
            Well, things are progressing slowly but are progressing. Many thanks to Benton for his assist with the map problem I was having. Hopefully, here soon, I'll be able to post updated screenshots for anyone who is interested. Worse part is, this whole process has started me thinking of other ideas/concepts that if I do ever manage to get this done, then I may decide to do. A lot will depend on whether or not this one will be well received. I guess time will tell. Take care one and all, and many thanks to all of you who have assisted me with all the problems I've had up to this point. You guys are awesome!  :thumbup:

spydermann93

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on May 20, 2016, 10:03:54 PM
Update:
            Well, things are progressing slowly but are progressing. Many thanks to Benton for his assist with the map problem I was having. Hopefully, here soon, I'll be able to post updated screenshots for anyone who is interested. Worse part is, this whole process has started me thinking of other ideas/concepts that if I do ever manage to get this done, then I may decide to do. A lot will depend on whether or not this one will be well received. I guess time will tell. Take care one and all, and many thanks to all of you who have assisted me with all the problems I've had up to this point. You guys are awesome!  :thumbup:

How many votes for "YEEEESSS!!!" can I submit?

BentonGrey

Or, that will happen.  Ha, just don't do like me.  Stick with one thing until it is done instead of bouncing between all of your ideas. :D

That's great news, man, and you're quite welcome!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 21, 2016, 02:34:34 AM
Or, that will happen.  Ha, just don't do like me.  Stick with one thing until it is done instead of bouncing between all of your ideas. :D

Oh, man. If only I could follow that advice. Every time I make a new batch of hero files, I think of something else and want to redo the entire set.

Drives me crazy! I can't tell you how many times I've redone Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, the Justice League, and the list goes on and on and on! :wacko:

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 21, 2016, 02:34:34 AM

Yeah, good luck with that. LOL. I start one part, get an idea for another part, write a draft for that part, get ANOTHER idea for another part, write that one, which gives me an idea for the first part, so I go back, edit, rewrite, expand, change this, modify that, decide to change the next part, which in turn gives me yet another idea for another part, etc, etc. It's a vicious cycle.  :banghead:

OrWolvie1

As promised, here's a few screenshots for everyone.
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

More to follow.  ;)

BentonGrey

Nice!  That's looking like fun.  I love seeing the Skrulls involved. 
God Bless

spydermann93

Darned skrulls messing up everything!

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 25, 2016, 05:04:46 PM
Nice!  That's looking like fun.  I love seeing the Skrulls involved.

It's coming along nicely, a few issues still but I'm working on it as time permits. Tweeking and fixing. It's been a LONG process, as I'm sure you all know. Still having a couple of cutscene issues that I need to look at but it's starting to come together. More updates to follow.  :)

OrWolvie1

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Just a few more screenshots.  ;)

OrWolvie1

One quick, foolish question about base/cutscenes. What's the difference between base and intermission cutscenes? I have one that opens, and does absolutely nothing, I hit the "esc" key and it ends to the recruit screen, and then goes on to the next encounter. I wondering if I should make it an intermission, instead of a base?

BentonGrey

The difference is only in when they play.  The Base CS will play as soon as the base scene loads.  The Briefing CS will play when you click the briefing button.  You don't have to have the latter, but if you've got a base, you need the former.  If nothing else, you have to at least focus the camera, though you don't have to have dialog or anything.

What trouble are you having with the CS and what does it look like?  Let me start with the obvious thing that I always forget.  Base scenes, unlike missions, will ONLY use what is already present on the map.  You can't spawn anything, so make sure all of your markers and characters are already there.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 26, 2016, 02:01:54 AM
The difference is only in when they play.  The Base CS will play as soon as the base scene loads.  The Briefing CS will play when you click the briefing button.  You don't have to have the latter, but if you've got a base, you need the former.  If nothing else, you have to at least focus the camera, though you don't have to have dialog or anything.

What trouble are you having with the CS and what does it look like?  Let me start with the obvious thing that I always forget.  Base scenes, unlike missions, will ONLY use what is already present on the map.  You can't spawn anything, so make sure all of your markers and characters are already there.

I didn't know that. That could be part of the problem. I'll take a closer look at the maps and make sure that everything is where it needs to be and go from there. Thanks.
But what is an intermission cutscene? and what's the difference between that and a regular base, or is there one?

BentonGrey

Just to clarify some terminology: 

The base.txt file is the file EZScript reads, and I often refer to the whole thing as a base scene.  The actual first cutscene listed in a base.txt is the actual base scene, while the second is the briefing.  I assume you're referring to the whole as an intermission.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Looking at EZscript, when I select the base cutscene, it said something about playing an intermission cutscene if desired. thinking about it, ( :doh: ) I do believe that the intermission scene it's refering to is a cutscene that plays before the briefing screen. Nevermind!  :doh: :doh:

OrWolvie1

After fighting with this damn thing for months, I'm officially done. Everything I try to do just makes it worse so I admit to defeat. It was a nice thought and I do appreciate the help of everyone who offered their insights and assistance. But I know when I'm licked. If someone else wants to fight with this damn thing, I'll be more than happy to zip everything up and send it to them. As much as I'd love to give something back, it's now obvious to me that I'm not a modder and should have never attempted this. Enough is enough!

OrWolvie

spydermann93

Don't give up, OrWolvie! :(

You're soooo close to being done! I have faith in you! :thumbup:

Previsionary

I was going to post that it was nice to see another attempted modder around and wish you well in completing this project. I'm still going to leave that sentiment and add that modding is a frustrating project, no matter how it is tackled. It's a lot of work for a single person to take on and it can easily overwhelm even the most diligent person. Everything can be working one day and broken the next, then back to fine again for no obvious or noticeable rhyme or reason. That is the way of coding... of game development... and as a new person tackling it, you'll learn to treasure those breaks to allow your mind to heal, to refortify, and to strengthen before diving back in, if you choose to do so. Sometimes, you come back reinvigorated and better than ever, ready to tear down the next set of issues with renewed vigor. Sometimes, you learn that the work is too much and let it sit for a while, if not forever. Regardless, you gave it a shot. You made an effort, and you should be proud of that and know that it's okay and that you made it further than many have. Small victories are victories all the same.
Disappear when you least expe--

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Previsionary on June 14, 2016, 05:58:26 AM
I was going to post that it was nice to see another attempted modder around and wish you well in completing this project. I'm still going to leave that sentiment and add that modding is a frustrating project, no matter how it is tackled. It's a lot of work for a single person to take on and it can easily overwhelm even the most diligent person. Everything can be working one day and broken the next, then back to fine again for no obvious or noticeable rhyme or reason. That is the way of coding... of game development... and as a new person tackling it, you'll learn to treasure those breaks to allow your mind to heal, to refortify, and to strengthen before diving back in, if you choose to do so. Sometimes, you come back reinvigorated and better than ever, ready to tear down the next set of issues with renewed vigor. Sometimes, you learn that the work is too much and let it sit for a while, if not forever. Regardless, you gave it a shot. You made an effort, and you should be proud of that and know that it's okay and that you made it further than many have. Small victories are victories all the same.

Thank you for your kind words of understanding, Previsionary. Surprisingly enough, it helps me put things into perspective. And yes, it is very frustrating, but even though I may rant and rave about it, I have not given up on it. I am taking a break from it, a step back so to speak, to focus on other projects for the moment. But, by no means have I given up on it. I will finish it, one way or another, and even tho the final project may suck, like you said, I made the attempt and will be content with that knowledge. And who knows what the future holds. It may be well received and I may decide to tackle another one, who knows? Unfortunately, the community isn't as large as it once was, but I'm stubborn, perhaps a bit foolish but I started this and one day, I will finish it, as I said. True, by then, there may only be three people left here but I will do as promised, none the less. But I wish to take this time to thank those of you in the community who have offered your assistance and encouragement with this project. Your help has been invaluable and appreciated more than you know.

Until next time, Take care one and all

Cyber Burn

There may only be a handful of us left, but we will definitely appreciate all of your hard work. We're rooting for you.  :thumbup:

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Cyber Burn on June 15, 2016, 04:46:48 PM
There may only be a handful of us left, but we will definitely appreciate all of your hard work. We're rooting for you.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, CB. It's appreciated. Best of luck on your tests, btw, I know you'll do great.  :thumbup:

BentonGrey

Or, if you'll pack up your mod and send it my way, I'll try to give it a look and see if I can't help you out.

Great to see you again, Prev.!  Yeah, sometimes you just need a break.  Still, Or, it sounds like you've accomplished a great deal, and the problems that you've got don't sound that bad.  I think you can finish it up.  Take some time off if you want, but don't just give up!
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Hello all,
       I don't know if any of you are still following the slow progress of this behemoth that I call a mod that I started all those months ago. I have dusted off the cobwebs and have begun working on it again, hoping to polish it off and get the last few missions written and tested, before release to a few beta testers, whom I have not selected yet, so if any of you are still interested, then your assistance would be appreciated. Thanks to the timely assistance of Benton, I'm hoping to have the rest of the bugs worked out of this thing so I can get it finished up. I will admit, I never could have imagined how much of a headache this thing would become! I have a much greater appreciation of those of you who have not only attempted something like this, but has completed and released their own mods. My hat is off to each and every one of you. But after taking time away, I'm more determined to finish what I started. And come hell or high water, I will finish this thing. And who knows, if it goes well, perhaps I will be foolish enough to attempt a sequel lol. I know, putting the cart before the horse here.  :P I appreciate all the assistance that i have received thus far from all of you, It has been a learning experience from day one. I will be posting further updates as things progress.