News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Creation

Started by OrWolvie1, February 16, 2016, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrWolvie1

Hello one and all,
        I have some newbie questions regarding the creations of a mod or perhaps just a mini-mod. I'm kicking around several ideas and haven't decided yet which way I'm going to go. Anyways, my questions are; There have been a LOT of very talented skinners and map creators out there over the years, neither of which I am even capable of attempting {I know my limitations ;) ) Whichever ones I choose to include in my mod, I am aware and fully prepared to give the proper credit where credit is due, but do I have to ask their permissions before using them, even if I don't modify them in any way? I know several modders and skinners have since moved on over the years, and if that is the case, does that mean I can't use their creations if they don't grant me permission to do so? I have no plans to change any of their creations, but would like to use them in my mod. Any suggestions of advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated! :D

daglob

A lot of people include "permission to use in mods" in their readme files. Some, like me, have given blanket permission.

Someplace there is a thread of permissions, it seems like, but searching the site produces  a lot of possibilities.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: daglob on February 16, 2016, 05:58:07 PM
A lot of people include "permission to use in mods" in their readme files. Some, like me, have given blanket permission.

Someplace there is a thread of permissions, it seems like, but searching the site produces  a lot of possibilities.

I've come across several permissions like you mentioned. I guess my question is, if there isn't any permissions given, should I try seeking these creators out, even though some have moved on or just not use their creations. The last thing I want to do is step on anyone's toes.

spydermann93

Yep, exactly!

If you can't reach them, then just assume that you can't use their material.

BentonGrey

That's a good rule of thumb, but there are also a number of creators who have offered more or less blanket permissions.  I'd ask about specific creators to make sure you don't end up throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Also, great to have a new modder in town!  Please let me know if you've got any questions!  It's a wonderful undertaking to create a mod.  :thumbup:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2016, 09:41:51 PM
That's a good rule of thumb, but there are also a number of creators who have offered more or less blanket permissions.  I'd ask about specific creators to make sure you don't end up throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Also, great to have a new modder in town!  Please let me know if you've got any questions!  It's a wonderful undertaking to create a mod.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol. For what I want to do, it's going to be a big undertaking, I already know that. But I'm willing to give it a shot. Most of the creations I plan on using are by C6, Gren, AA, and cmdrkoenig67. And, of course, both your and CrimsonQuill's voice packs as well as various FX's that will come in handy in the grand scheme of things. It's not going to be a real big mod, but I'm hoping to make it a detailed one, within reason.  :D But I do have one question, for all you modders out there. There is one thing I'm not real sure how to accomplish. The dream sequence has Manbot in a cage. Is there any way to put any character into one? It's a pivotal part of the rough draft I'm working on. Also, how does one handle vehicles? Do you treat them the same as you would a hero, ie hero files, fx, etc?

BentonGrey

OrWolvie, well, I know all about big undertakings.  The massive, sprawling DCUG started out just as me wanting to put things together "properly" for myself, and it exploded from there, taking shape over years.  The key, I think, is to be organized and have a plan.  If I can ever manage to do that, maybe I'll be able to put mods out more frequently! ;)

Well, I think Gren gave permission for his work to be used in mods.  Can anyone help me out with that?

AA and Cmdrkoening are still around to a certain extent, so you can probably get a hold of them to ask.

I know C6's work has been used in tons and tons of mods, but I don't know if he ever gave blanket permissions.  Anyone?

Of course, all of my own work, mod, voice pack, or mission, is all 100% free to use, copy, and abuse.

In terms of your question:  Are you planning on using EZScript or Python?  I can help you with the former, but not with the latter.  If the former, check out the EZScript documentation that comes with FFX, and check out my tutorials:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/category/ezscript/

The short answer is "yes."  With EZScript (and with Python, though the how is a mystery to me), you can put a character in a cage.  There is an encounter type called "Rescue Caged," and you can also do a custom encounter if you want to get fancier.  If you just want it for a cutscene, you can just add the character and the cage to the map directly.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2016, 10:51:00 PM
OrWolvie, well, I know all about big undertakings.  The massive, sprawling DCUG started out just as me wanting to put things together "properly" for myself, and it exploded from there, taking shape over years.  The key, I think, is to be organized and have a plan.  If I can ever manage to do that, maybe I'll be able to put mods out more frequently! ;)

Exactly what I have in mind. I have a general idea at this point, now it's a matter of fleshing out the idea with who, what, where, etc.

Well, I think Gren gave permission for his work to be used in mods.  Can anyone help me out with that?

AA and Cmdrkoening are still around to a certain extent, so you can probably get a hold of them to ask.

I know C6's work has been used in tons and tons of mods, but I don't know if he ever gave blanket permissions.  Anyone?

Of course, all of my own work, mod, voice pack, or mission, is all 100% free to use, copy, and abuse.

In terms of your question:  Are you planning on using EZScript or Python?  I can help you with the former, but not with the latter.  If the former, check out the EZScript documentation that comes with FFX, and check out my tutorials:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/category/ezscript/

I have copies of all your script tutorials and they have thus far been a tremndous help to me. I will be using EZScript. Like you, I have no clue about Python :blink:

The short answer is "yes."  With EZScript (and with Python, though the how is a mystery to me), you can put a character in a cage.  There is an encounter type called "Rescue Caged," and you can also do a custom encounter if you want to get fancier.  If you just want it for a cutscene, you can just add the character and the cage to the map directly.

I'll have to look at the Rescue Caged as it's more for the beginning of the story so it may only be for a cutscene. I haven't decided yet. Like I said, I'm still working out the details. I fully plan on having a basic draft of the script, ie who is involved, what happens, where it goes, etc. I haven't decided if i want any required characters yet, tho it would make sense in the beginning.

BentonGrey

Great! 

Check out some of my missions that use a 'rescue caged' encounter, and that will help you see some examples.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 16, 2016, 11:20:02 PM
Great! 

Check out some of my missions that use a 'rescue caged' encounter, and that will help you see some examples.

Thanks for the assist and after looking at several examples, I've decided to change my opening sequence. Had another idea that I like better. It's coming along nicely though. In the early stages of setting up all the characters, villians, allies, ect. Figure I'll get all those set up and running smoothly then work on the encounters, cutscenes and fleshing out the story a bit more.

BentonGrey

Sounds like a good plan, Or.  :)
God Bless

OrWolvie1

There's just one thing at this point that I'm uncertain of. When it comes to voices, do I create a Sounds/speech/English folder as part of the mod? I believe I do, then install the voices as usual, but I'm not 100% positive. And what about the hero files? Do they get included somewhere as well or does M25 take care of that for me? :wacko:

BentonGrey

Ahh, good questions, Or.  So:

VPs: You create folders in your mod that mirror those in your Data folder, so you're right.  After that, you can just drop voice folders in there and do the setup in FFEdit.  Speaking of which, I'll send you that vp tonight.

HFs: So, you'll need to include HFs in a separate folder if you want them to ship with your mod.  I'd say go ahead and build everything in to avoid that issue.  In terms of USING HFs in your mod, all you have to do is drop them in your main HF directory.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 20, 2016, 12:04:59 AM
Ahh, good questions, Or.  So:

VPs: You create folders in your mod that mirror those in your Data folder, so you're right.  After that, you can just drop voice folders in there and do the setup in FFEdit.  Speaking of which, I'll send you that vp tonight.

HFs: So, you'll need to include HFs in a separate folder if you want them to ship with your mod.  I'd say go ahead and build everything in to avoid that issue.  In terms of USING HFs in your mod, all you have to do is drop them in your main HF directory.

Great. Thanks for all the help. It's greatly appreciated.

spydermann93

May I ask what type of story you're going to be telling?

And which universe will it be in? Marvel? DC? Image? Other/something of your own making?

Feel free to not give anything away. I'm just really curious :P

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on February 20, 2016, 03:59:07 AM
May I ask what type of story you're going to be telling?

And which universe will it be in? Marvel? DC? Image? Other/something of your own making?

Feel free to not give anything away. I'm just really curious :P

Not a problem. Feel free to ask. I'm not going to give away a lot of details at this point, for a couple of reasons....mainly because i don't have all the details worked out as of yet ;) But it's going to be a multi-universe tale, Marvel and DC. Never really got in Image a whole lot, more into the "Copper Age" ie 80's and 90's primarily. The story is going to be a multi-part, with characters from both universes, just haven't decided on how many or how big it's going to be yet. But as things become clearer, then I "may" provide further details :D

OrWolvie1

Update:

Thus far, my primary focus has been to get the base characters set up, fx installed and tested, the "tech side" of things, so to speak. Once I get all that set and working, then I'll start on setting up the story, fleshing it out, testing, tweaking, adding characters as needed, more testing, more tweaking. The tedious parts :D

spydermann93

Yay!! A crossover! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see more about this!!

OrWolvie1

ok, fixing to ask a really stupid question here. I started setting up all my base characters, ran the M25 ids in the rumble room, and got a whole list of errors that I'm at a loss to explain, nor have the faintest idea what to do about. So I'm going to post the ff file here, in sections, to see if anyone has any clues as to how to fix them. The weird thing is, it doesn't appear to effect the basic play of the game, but I don't like error messages!

00:00:01.40: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute bulktp is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.40: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute overheated is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.40: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute metashieldp is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.40: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute superleaper is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute invulnerable0 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute fearless is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqamalgam is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqhighjumper is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute speedphaser is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute illusionist is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqtempinvulnerability is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute poltergeist is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute heavyfooted is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute icecloud is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute sensitive is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ephemeral is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqaixenophobe is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute solarpowered is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute popular is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute shapeshifter is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute presence is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqrealitymanipulation is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqairsuperiority is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute coordinator is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute astral is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute summoner3 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute nocturnal is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute adaptive2 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute regenerativeplus is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute invflier5 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqresilient is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqempathlongrange is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute utilitybelt is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute groupmind is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute lesserregeneration is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqupgradable2 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute sidekick is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute bodyarmor02 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute combatskill2 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute currentsapper is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute borrowedtime is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute groupteleport is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqfastball is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute invflier30 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute vunstablemols is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqbasiclevitation is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute butterfingers is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute toughguy2 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute battery is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqdizzy is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqaimisogynist is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute invulnerable4 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute unstabletemp is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute twister is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute degenerative is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute miracle1 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute spinner is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute humanrocket25 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute fourd is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ironjaw is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute livinglaser is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute airscout is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqsuperheroic is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute privatearmy1 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute lastresort is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute metabolic is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqextradimensional is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqprowler is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute enchanter2 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqpsychotherapy is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqtrapezist is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute combatskill is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute russiandoll is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute bodyarmor05 is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute explosive is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute ffqlongjumper is not mapped to a bitset enum!
00:00:01.42: FF: ERROR! RPGA attribute absorbpower is not mapped to a bitset enum!

BentonGrey

Did these show up in your FF.log, or did they actually show up in game in some fashion?

Those errors are, in my experience, more or less standard and shouldn't affect anything, provided it is the former and not the latter.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 22, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
Did these show up in your FF.log, or did they actually show up in game in some fashion?

Those errors are, in my experience, more or less standard and shouldn't affect anything, provided it is the former and not the latter.
They were in my ff.log. I just found it a little disconcerting as I haven't added any special attributes except for the ones that come with FFX3.3, thought I'm thinking that I may install PFX1.2 and see if that doesn't help. And Benton, I have two questions for you, if I may? (Besides this one  ;)) any ideas where i can get a copy of the tm_basic_belt_holster mesh? I know I've seen it somewhere but can't recall where and I really don't want to have to search through all my yahoo groups trying to find it. And second, once things progress to that point, might I interest you in beta testing my mod for me, to see if I missed anything before I release it on an unsuspecting community?  :P

spydermann93

Did you run your characters through the FFX Control Center (FFXEdit)? Might be a stupid question, but sometimes it's something that I forget.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on February 22, 2016, 04:13:35 PM
Did you run your characters through the FFX Control Center (FFXEdit)? Might be a stupid question, but sometimes it's something that I forget.

Yes, I did. One by one, saved each one, exported all of them, and it didn't seem to make a difference as far as the errors are concerned.  :banghead:

spydermann93

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on February 22, 2016, 06:16:20 PM
Then I got nothing :P

What I find weird about the whole thing, is I haven't installed any other attributes except for the ones included with FFX3.3. And it's those that are cropping up with errors. So I'm thoroughly confused :banghead:

BentonGrey

That is, unless I miss my guess, just a normal function of FFX, so don't worry about it.  I believe everything seems to be in order.

Ohh, in answer to your other questions:
1) I'm not sure off the top of my head, and I'm afraid you've caught me at a time where I can't help as I'd like to.  It seems I left my laptop cord at home, so I having to hoard my battery life until my wife can overnight it to me!  I'd post in the Requests section, and I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

2) Well, I'd definitely be interested, but I don't know that my schedule would make me an ideal tester.  I have very little free time these days, thanks to my doctoral efforts, but depending on the size of your project, I'd certainly be willing to give it a try.  I would definitely recruit some other testers though, so you aren't left waiting on me if something comes up!
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on February 22, 2016, 03:33:09 PM
Quote from: BentonGrey on February 22, 2016, 02:57:13 PM

They were in my ff.log. I just found it a little disconcerting as I haven't added any special attributes except for the ones that come with FFX3.3, thought I'm thinking that I may install PFX1.2 and see if that doesn't help. And Benton, I have two questions for you, if I may? (Besides this one  ;)) any ideas where i can get a copy of the tm_basic_belt_holster mesh? I know I've seen it somewhere but can't recall where and I really don't want to have to search through all my yahoo groups trying to find it. And second, once things progress to that point, might I interest you in beta testing my mod for me, to see if I missed anything before I release it on an unsuspecting community?  :P

I'm pretty sure I have it, though I think it's for FF1. If you want, let me know where I can send it, and it's all yours.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 23, 2016, 01:18:51 AM

I'm pretty sure I have it, though I think it's for FF1. If you want, let me know where I can send it, and it's all yours.
[/quote]
Thank you so very much CB. That worked out perfectly! I love this community and how helpful you all can be, to those of us who need it. Kudos to you all! :thumbup:

OrWolvie

Cyber Burn

Not a problem, always glad to help.  :D

OrWolvie1

OK, time for some tech help  :banghead: using Ezscript, is there anyway to change maps  between encounters and cutscenes? Say, for instance, I wanted to set up a set of encounters in Patriot City, then I want to do cutscene using  different map, then go into another encounter on a different map? My goal at this point, is to utilize about 4 or 5 different maps to tell this story, yet not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions?? :(