News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Mod Creation

Started by OrWolvie1, February 16, 2016, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy Or.  I'm afraid that is, to the best of my knowledge, impossible.  Folks have done it to great effect using Python, but as far as I know EZS is one map per mission.  That means that I've had to take some cutscenes in my campaigns.  For example, I have an entire mission that is just one long flashback cutscene in my JLA campaign.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 24, 2016, 04:21:40 AM
Howdy Or.  I'm afraid that is, to the best of my knowledge, impossible.  Folks have done it to great effect using Python, but as far as I know EZS is one map per mission.  That means that I've had to take some cutscenes in my campaigns.  For example, I have an entire mission that is just one long flashback cutscene in my JLA campaign.
Well, hell...that sucks. Oh well, I guess I can do it in several missions, a new mission for each map. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with. Continuity is going to be kinda eclectic  but one does what he can, I guess. I thank you once again for the assist.

OrWolvie1

Hello all,
       For those of you following the status of this involved undertaking that I have decided, perhaps foolishly to attempt, :P This are progressing slowly, plagued by pitfalls and hurtles of every kind. But thanks to the invaluable assistance of BentonGrey, things are still progressing in a leisurely fashion. But, by the same token, I'm beginning to think that this thing is taking on a life of its own, expanding beyond my original intent. But, hopefully, by the time everything is said and done, these changes and expansions will result in a much more detailed, well-rounded story that will be both challenging and fun for others to play. But time will tell. Hopefully the wait for those of you interested in this, will be worth it. :)

spydermann93

Can't wait to see what's in-store for us, Wolvie! :thumbup:

Cyber Burn

Hey OrWolvie, I know I'm not the greatest FX'er around, but if there's something that I can help you out with that will help you get your Mod going, I'd be glad to add it to my list.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 03, 2016, 01:27:21 PM
Hey OrWolvie, I know I'm not the greatest FX'er around, but if there's something that I can help you out with that will help you get your Mod going, I'd be glad to add it to my list.

Thanks a lot, Cyber burn. You've been a big help so far, though you may not realize it yet ;) Thus far, it's been a case of working out the bugs of the scripting, fleshing out the story ideas. There is one thing that I don't have or even begin to know how to do and that's hex editing a FX. I have Spud's FX pack of various arrows for Hawkeye, with the option of changing the color scheme for use with Green Arrow. I have no clue how to do that, nor the tech expertise to even begin to attempt it. I've glanced at various tutorials for Nifscope and it's all greek to me.  :P 

A while back, you released a MASSIVE hero pack, that, with your permission, I would like to utilize for my established characters. It would save me tons of work :) :D

Cyber Burn

Any FX that I've released, you and any other Modder have full permission to use as you see fit.

As for my older FX, such as the Hawkeye and Green Arrow sets, those are on my list to re-do, but I'd be glad to move them up my list.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 03, 2016, 08:36:36 PM
Any FX that I've released, you and any other Modder have full permission to use as you see fit.

As for my older FX, such as the Hawkeye and Green Arrow sets, those are on my list to re-do, but I'd be glad to move them up my list.

I really do appreciate that. I've been looking for some good FX for my various Green Arrow skins that I've downloaded over the years, but the only "sets" I've ever found or even individual ones were always for Hawkeye.

Cyber Burn

Just let me know how many different types of Arrows you want for Green Arrow, and any special types you want. I believe I still have the bases for them, so it shouldn't be too difficult to create some new Green Arrow FX's.

OrWolvie1

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 04, 2016, 12:27:45 AM
Just let me know how many different types of Arrows you want for Green Arrow, and any special types you want. I believe I still have the bases for them, so it shouldn't be too difficult to create some new Green Arrow FX's.

I'll make it easy on you, CB. Surprise me  :D

OrWolvie1

Hello all,
            Well, it's been a while so I thought I'd post an update or two. Thus far, the story is coming along nicely, still working out the scripting bugs and playing with maps and character setups and placements. But things are still progressing, tho a bit slowly. I just wanted to once again, take a moment to thank BentonGrey and Cyber Burn for their fantastic assistance with this ungodly project of mine, as well as to all the talented mapmakers, skinners, mesh makers and countless others who have all made this possible. Hopefully, here soon, I'll be able to post screen captures to hopefully wet everyone's appetites  :D

Epimethee

These errors are normal, it's actually what made FFX possible. :)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

OrWolvie1

OK, I have a question for all you experienced modders out there. I have two ways of writing my custom character data to my DAT files and not sure which one to use. I can either use M25's write to DAT option in the RR or using Alex's EZHero to do it. Is one way better than the other? Or are they both about the same?

BentonGrey

M25's used to be better because it added in the strings entries, but I'm pretty sure the newest version of EZHero does that too, so that's simpler than having to run the game to add heroes, but they should be equally good in function.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

Ok, time for another newbie, stupid question about scripting. I have a need to make a hero disappear in a cut scene, via teleport. How do I go about writing it to make the template teleport and not reappear somewhere else on the map?

BentonGrey

Ahh, that's actually a bit of a tough one, and those who have played my mods know that I've struggled with managing that smoothly. 

You can teleport him somewhere, but then he's on the map until the encounter cleanup, which may take some time.  In some encounters, he may never go away. 

So, what doyou do?  You can hide him, but players might still find him.  I use this command:

Quotex teleports to y
x is killed
x is destroyed

But there's a catch.  If you kill and destroy a character needed for an encounter, that encounter will never end.  The way around this is to teleport him at the end of one encounter, and destroy him at the beginning of the next, when the previous encounter has already successfully ended.  In order to do this, you have to name the character so you can successfully call him OUTSIDE of his original encounter.

Thus, do something like this:

QuoteEncounter: Whatever
Type: Interrogation (or whatever)
Villains: shadow named sue

Then you call her by the name you've provided, which will let EZScript find her, even outside of that encounter, allowing you to eliminate her in the Alarm Cutscene of the next encounter.  For added tidiness, you can fade out in encounter A and not fade back in until AFTER you've done that cleanup work in encounter B.

Does that make sense?
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 17, 2016, 03:20:39 AM
Ahh, that's actually a bit of a tough one, and those who have played my mods know that I've struggled with managing that smoothly. 

You can teleport him somewhere, but then he's on the map until the encounter cleanup, which may take some time.  In some encounters, he may never go away. 

So, what doyou do?  You can hide him, but players might still find him.  I use this command:

Quotex is teleported to y
x is killed
x is destroyed

But there's a catch.  If you kill and destroy a character needed for an encounter, that encounter will never end.  The way around this is to teleport him at the end of one encounter, and destroy him at the beginning of the next, when the previous encounter has already successfully ended.  In order to do this, you have to name the character so you can successfully call him OUTSIDE of his original encounter.

Thus, do something like this:

QuoteEncounter: Whatever
Type: Interrogation (or whatever)
Villains: shadow named sue

Then you call her by the name you've provided, which will let EZScript find her, even outside of that encounter, allowing you to eliminate her in the Alarm Cutscene of the next encounter.  For added tidiness, you can fade out in encounter A and not fade back in until AFTER you've done that cleanup work in encounter B.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does, but the formentioned cutscene is at the end of the encounters, kind of a wrapup, prolog to the next chapter per say. The formentioned charater I wish to remove, may reappear in a future chapter, I haven't decided yet. I just need him to teleport out of the scene.

BentonGrey

Ohh, well that's easy!  :lol:

Just use:
Quotex teleports to marker

Just make sure you call a marker far away.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 17, 2016, 03:33:33 AM
Ohh, well that's easy!  :lol:

Just use:
Quotex teleports to marker

Just make sure you call a marker far away.

K. I think I can do that LOL.

OrWolvie1

Hello one and all,
                         Updates: Still working on the various bugs of this thing that I foolishly decided to undertake. Got the story fleshed out for the most part, but have run into a snag and I'm hoping that some of you can help me with this little problem. It seems that some of the villains in my little tale seem to want to do one of two things; stand there stupidly while I beat them into submission, without fighting back, panicking and running at the drop of a hat, utilizing powers that wipe out everyone on the board, usually themselves included. I have no idea why. I'm assuming it has to do with the AI aspect of things but I'm not certain. Any help would be appreciated. :banghead:

OrWolvie1

OK, time for foolish question number 87; Just how do you do a screen capture on Windows 7? I read somewhere that you have to modify your initlocal.py file, which I did, but still get nothing with alt+printscreen. Any clues?

spydermann93

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on April 04, 2016, 02:57:09 PM
OK, time for foolish question number 87; Just how do you do a screen capture on Windows 7? I read somewhere that you have to modify your initlocal.py file, which I did, but still get nothing with alt+printscreen. Any clues?

I just press printscreen. I don't think the Alt is necessary.

Then you just hit "Ctrl+V" in an image editing program, and you'll be good to go!

Alternatively, you could use FRAPS. I used to use it a lot (still really good, I just haven't reinstalled it on my new computer) and it was really handy. You can set any of your keys to act as a screencap button, decide where you want to save the picture, what file type should it be saved as, etc.

It's free, too!

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 04, 2016, 08:25:58 PM

Then you just hit "Ctrl+V" in an image editing program, and you'll be good to go!

Alternatively, you could use FRAPS. I used to use it a lot (still really good, I just haven't reinstalled it on my new computer) and it was really handy. You can set any of your keys to act as a screencap button, decide where you want to save the picture, what file type should it be saved as, etc.

It's free, too!

Thanks for the suggestion! Worked rather well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post it here  :banghead:

spydermann93

Quote from: OrWolvie1 on April 05, 2016, 04:43:08 AM
Quote from: spydermann93 on April 04, 2016, 08:25:58 PM

It's free, too!

Thanks for the suggestion! Worked rather well. Now all I have to do is figure out how to post it here  :banghead:

You can use an image hosting site like Imgur.com or something like that.

I used to use Imageshack, but I have too many pics on my account, so I can't upload any more :P

OrWolvie1

Spoiler
Here's one image

OrWolvie1

Spoiler

I can see this is going to be a learning process :)

spydermann93

A few things:

1) I would suggest posting the images in spoiler tags so that it's a bit easier for some people's computers to load

2) I see that Cap has the infamous "Pink Disease". An easy remedy is to convert his skin files to .dds format. Pretty simple, and if you need help, I'd be glad to assist with that :)

3) Those screens are looking really fun! :o Is that Payback in the background of the second pic?

OrWolvie1

Quote from: spydermann93 on April 05, 2016, 05:03:53 AM
A few things:

1) I would suggest posting the images in spoiler tags so that it's a bit easier for some people's computers to load

2) I see that Cap has the infamous "Pink Disease". An easy remedy is to convert his skin files to .dds format. Pretty simple, and if you need help, I'd be glad to assist with that :)

3) Those screens are looking really fun! :o Is that Payback in the background of the second pic?

Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, the "pink disease" is really wrecking havoc with this Mod. Been driving me nuts! I'll try converting it and see what happens.

And I will try and post a little better pics of things here soon. And no, that's not Payback ;)

spydermann93

Ah, I got it!

It's Hitman!

OrWolvie1