News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Scope help again...

Started by daglob, February 20, 2016, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

How do you resize the mapping of a piece? What I want to do is increase its size in the texture about 5-6 times. There was a Kingpin that needed this done to his coat, but I can't find the post for it (for some reason "Kingpin" or any variation there of returns no results in the search).

Also, for a mesh that is mirrored, can you change it so that one side maps someplace else? I mean, without starting over with 3DMax.

WyldFyre

I know NIFskope has the ability to change mapping.  As far as the size is concerned. I'm not sure where I read how to do that. Maybe in the help file.

As to the mirrored issue.... I vaguely remember that you could export a template from NIFskope as well. Or from Blender if you use that. But I don't think you can actually change where each side is mapped unless it has both sides mapped separately on the template itself.
For Freedom!

hoss20

For the mirrored texture question, I believe WyldFyre is correct. This part of the mapping is actually fixed to the mesh itself, so as far as I know, one would have to open the mesh up in Max, Blender, or whatever the kids are using these days and change the mapping there. Maybe SickAlice could chime in here and offer some help.

For resizing the mapping of a piece:

• Right-click on the NiTrishape (Editable Mesh) part of the piece
  • On the pop-up menu, click on Texture-->Edit UV
  • The art file assigned to the piece will appear with the piece showing as a wireframe. Drag your cursor around the mesh piece and a yellow box outline will appear. When you have finished making your selection box around the mesh piece and release your mouse button, the wireframe will now show as yellow; meaning it is ready to be edited.
  • Hover your mouse over any section of the mesh piece until a selection hand appears (Moving your cursor over one of the points instead of the lines will yield this result).
    *Another method to achieve what was accomplished in steps 3 and 4 is to right-click on one of the points of the wireframe before making a selection box and the drop-down menu will give you some Select options. Choose Select All. If your wireframe for the piece is only one part, then using the Ctrl+A shortcut will also work. Just be sure to click on the UV Editing window to make it active.*
  • From the right-click drop-down menu, you will now choose Scale and Translate Selected. You will also see that once selected, the Alt+S shortcut will accomplish the same thing.
  • From what I've gathered, changing the Translation numbers merely changes the coordinates of the wireframe and there is much more control by just dragging the highlighted wireframe around. So, if you want to change the size of the entire piece, leave the settings where they; with the Uniform Scaling box selected. Change the value in the "X" box, hit the "OK" button and the piece will change size.
  • If you are unhappy with the result, click Ctrl+Z and this will undo the edit. This works for any editing you do in this screen and will become your best friend. If you make multiple edits, you can use Ctrl+Z multiple times and it will undo the edits starting with the most recent.
  • If you wish to make your piece's wireframe wider or taller, then you will uncheck the Uniform Scaling box and it now makes the "Y" axis editable.

On the editing drop-down menu you will also see a Rotate Selected option or Alt+R. This is helpful when you have a whole bunch of stuff in an art file and need to rotate pieces around to make everything fit.
   That's pretty much everything in a nutshell, I think. Let me know if you have any questions.

daglob

daglob

Okay, another one:

My buddy Dr. Tyme here won't convert. I've looked at the scoped pieces, and I can't see any lost children.

It was a devil of a scope, and I'd rather convert it than start over. Suggestions?

WyldFyre

Is that a Tommyboy base mesh? I think some of his just don't convert well. I guess the other question is does it need to be converted?

I haven't done a lot of mesh converting (yet) so I'm not sure what the fix is in this situation.
For Freedom!

daglob

That is a Tommyboy mesh, and I have converted copies of this exact mesh two other times (Chronos and Clock King). The moustache is Giant Man antenna, the bell is a shield from Grenadier's old Captain America, the headpiece is a goggle from Pulp Versatile, and the back of the headpiece is a chest disk.

hoss20

Feel free to send it my way, my friend. It just may be one those "just having another set of eyes to look at it" kind of things.

daglob

My buddy Sparkman here has a problem: his electrodes don't work. I tried copying Chameleon Boy's antenna to the place where his index fingers are so he would have them, but the first few times, they didn't move with his fingers, although I attached them to his "fingers". Next I tried attaching to a  bip and now they don't show. I intend to do a second costume that doesn't have electrodes or a headfin, which I thought would, be easy with a TV mesh. I would release him without the electrodes, but the whole "Sparkman" experience would be missing something.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/spark-man/4005-61814/

Suggestions?

I haven't even tried making a FFv3R scope yet.

hoss20

I just sent you a basic mockup with the antennae attached to the fingers. It's for FF1, so no worries there. I figured you could take a look at where/how the antennae are attached and see what's different. They move along with the hands/fingers with no problem. I probably used different meshes than you, although they are Tommy meshes. Let us know what you discover.

daglob

Hoss has just about convinced me to give up on the electrodes on Sparkman. But now I have a new problem:

The view on the left is what Multiman looks like in Nifscope. He is a body transplant between a sculpted Male Teen 12 and the regular MT12. On the right is what I get in CTool and the game. I haven't changed the cape in Nifscope, and I tried transplanting a cape that worked to the scope and it went white too. It isn't alpha-ed or anything, and I even changed the size of the texture a couple of times to be sure that wasn't the problem (it has been before).

Any suggestions?

spydermann93

Is it missing a glow, refl, or lightmap file?

detourne_me

It's strange for an item to appear white instead of pink.  It must be a missing texture though.
A problem I've been having lately (and have horribly released meshes with this problem) is that skoped pieces refer to different lightmap files.  What you need to do is go to all of the parents on the editable mesh and check the Num Effects of the Block Details section.  If there is a number there, open the branch and see what lightmap it refers too.  The lightmap is necessary if you want any reflection or glow to show up,  but if you don't plan on using them, sometimes it's easier to set the Num Effects to 0, and let it stay a basic texture.

daglob

I checked the block details, and the Num Effects was 0. I copied the textures from the original mesh to the scope's Standard folder, and it didn't work.

I did the scope over again.

And now it works. I have no idea what I did different, so there is a good chance that I will make the same mistake again.

I thank everyone for their suggestions and recommendations. Since I don't know what he problem was, I will probably be seeking your help again on this subject.

Now I just have to convert it to FFv3R. :)