News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

terraria

Started by bearded, March 11, 2016, 01:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

Is anyone playing, on Steam? It is sort of a minecraft clone, 2d. But a lot more treasures, and more action oriented. It sort of feels like a Super Mario Brothers, with the jumping and side scrolling, but with building and crafting.

baley

I poured in a good many hours over Christmas. Excellent game. A minecraft better than Minecraft.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's years old.  Just finding out about it now?

I have it, but my one attempt to play it had me so confused by it, I gave up.  Been meaning to try it again.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Reepicheep

I made myself a spectacular base, activated hard mode and corruption ran right through my hard work, destroying everything. So I stopped.

bearded

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on March 12, 2016, 12:46:42 AM
It's years old.  Just finding out about it now?

I have it, but my one attempt to play it had me so confused by it, I gave up.  Been meaning to try it again.
Same. Except I did try it again, and after the learning curve, I really like it. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, and would want to play with friends. I am considering purchasing a host for at least a month, it would be about 12 dollars for eight slots. Any of you interested?

baley

Time is too limited for me at the moment, otherwise I would.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I looked it up, and you should be able to run multiplayer through Steam's servers.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, it is free and stuff.

And I might be interested.

Reepicheep

I would also enjoy this, but I think I'll be working to a different timezone than you guys. I'm all icky and GMT.

bearded

Free Steam server would be great.
And the reason a server would be good is we could log on and off at different times and see what we've built. We could leave signs up for messages to each other.
I will look into the free server thing tonight.
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Guide:Setting_up_Steam_Multiplayer
I will find out tonight, but I feel like this is using the hosts computer as a server. Am I wrong?

catwhowalksbyhimself

No idea.  I've not really played.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I gave it another shot and this time it clicked with me.  What was supposed to be a quick look see before I went to bed early ended up being somehow a two and a half hour gaming session.  Now I'm up way later than I should be.

Right now I'm expanding my little town/mansion and looking to go diving for more metal.  I even found a little cabin in the caves that I renovated and can use as a home away from home.

bearded

I'm just now looking at modding. Custom skins look easy, and it uses C# for events, or powers. Maybe recreate some  :ff:

bearded

I am going to get a dedicated server at the beginning of next month. I will post the link and password here for anyone that wants to join. There will be 8 slots. I will be using 2 of them, so that leaves six for any of you.
As far as I can tell, if I simply host a game with Steam, it is only up and running when I am logged in. I want one that is up and running all the time for anyone to log in.
Should I consider mods? I really like terraria leveled: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/1-2-4-1-released-terraria-leveled-yet-another-rpg-mod.106490/
It is terraria vanilla with just some numbers added, mostly. For there to be a dedicated server with a mod, I think everyone that wants to play on it has to download that mod. We could do a poll and vote for mods we want.
Also, I was thinking how to mod in some  :ff: . Energy X cannisters should fall from the sky, like the stars do, but more rarely. They can be used to create recipes for items, like MM Stick thing, or Man Bot armor. Bullet shoes for speed, etc. This wouldn't be for the server, not for a long while anyway.

bearded

Starting the game in 2 days.

bearded

I've gotten distracted by the modding. Is anyone actually interested in this?

catwhowalksbyhimself

As much fun as the game is, I just can't see myself sinking more time into another game world.  Plus I wouldn't feel as free to change things and do stuff if I'd be affecting other players.  I wouldn't mind visiting another players world, but I don't think I'm really keen on multiplayer otherwise.

Reepicheep

I love terraria, but I'm super limited for time right now. I need to use what precious time I have for my own projects.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just achieved hardmode!  Now to do all the stuff all over again.

spydermann93

Beware the grand Duke Fishron

You have been warned!!

catwhowalksbyhimself

And now I'm done.

I had that sword you have to make out of four other swords and is needed for even more swords and somehow it has dissappeared.  Without it I'll never survive hardmode to get anything better and it's pretty much irreplaceable at this point, so I'm done.  Should be so easy to somehow lose a weapon.  It's happened twice now, but the first time it was like an axe and I could replace it.

So my character and progress ruined I'm uninstalling and forgetting all about this game.

bearded

This is a situation in which it is a valid reason to use a cheat. You can add the sword to your inventory with this:
http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/
I've had that happen. I logged out, and came back with items missing, so I just fixed it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Don't care.  Moving on.  Have like 400 other games that I haven't played yet.

bearded

I am modding Terraria. A lot. If you have tmodloader, in the mod browser I am bil. I turned early game into a dungeons and dragons grindfest.
Anyone want to mod? I would like to mod in  :ff: characters and items, I can do the code, but I need sprites. Textures.

daglob

Yeah, I've been waiting to see that Flash mod... ;)

bearded

I know...I've got around 5 levels completed, with other levels playable.