GoG.com now has both games (not just the sequel)

Started by Randomsense, March 29, 2016, 03:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomsense

I did a quick search and didn't see a previous post.
Just a quick notice - For any who might be interested GoG.com now has both games and they are on sale.
Vector (Gravity/Kinetics) - Freedom
Howitzer Howard (Blaster) - AFBL: Skyway City Towers
Althea Haven (Illusion/Force Field) - Freedom (The New Assembly)

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Outcast

This is great news. Especially for those using higher versions of Windows and having problems using their Steam version games particularly  :ff:.

Hopefully Gog's version can also have FFX or FFedit to work for them as well.

Cyber Burn

I believe that Alex's Installer has the option to choose your File Paths so that it is supposed to work with Steam and GOG.

Shazam

Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly is GOG?
Pursue perfection, but accept excellence.
http://www.tskr.webeden.co.uk/

spydermann93

Quote from: Shazam on April 01, 2016, 09:10:00 PM
Forgive my stupidity, but what exactly is GOG?

It stands for "Good Old Games".

It's a site that sells DRM free (meaning you can download it and install it as many times as you want, on as many computers as you want) games, usually older ones that people often forget about.

Here's a link: https://www.gog.com/

Epimethee

Gog.com's catalogue doesn't carry most of the latest blockbusters, so it's not the one-stop solution that Steam is. However, the DRM-free aspect is VERY valuable, so I try to buy from them first.

And FF1 for less than two bucks? Yep, count me in.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

spydermann93

Quote from: Epimethee on April 02, 2016, 03:05:20 PM
Gog.com's catalogue doesn't carry most of the latest blockbusters, so it's not the one-stop solution that Steam is. However, the DRM-free aspect is VERY valuable, so I try to buy from them first.

And FF1 for less than two bucks? Yep, count me in.

You can say that, again!

abenavides

Wow, just noticed this!

I already had ffv3r on GOG, but I'll pick up FF too. No more need for CDs, love GOG!
Will also update my editor to give FF GOG option as well.
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

Merchant

Hi,
   I just got both FF games from GOG, I am wondering if there is anything I need to do next to update them with add-ons and patches. I still have a folder for FF with a bunch of old files though I am not sure which ones would work anymore. Thanks for your time and assistance.

abenavides

Most add-ons should work. Sometimes you just need to make sure you install them in the right place. If you post specific problems/questions, I'm sure we can find the answer.

I personally now use GOG for both games (installs fast, fully patched, no Steam updates to wait for, and the shortest filepaths :) )

I'm updating a bunch of my installers right now to work with the GOG version of FF by default (though you can just specify any path as always)
www.alexff.com
Creator of EZ Danger Room, EZFX, EZHero, The JLA Mod, The X Mod, Superhero TV, & famous Hero Recipes, coming up: New mods.

justintyme2174

So I have the old school (cd version) of FFvTTR installed on my computer currently.  Do I need to uninstall the old version before I install the GoG version?

abenavides

Think you could have both at once. I mistakenly had the Steam version and Gog version on FFv3r both installed at once.
www.alexff.com

Merchant

Quote from: abenavides on June 30, 2016, 11:10:09 PM
Most add-ons should work. Sometimes you just need to make sure you install them in the right place. If you post specific problems/questions, I'm sure we can find the answer.

I personally now use GOG for both games (installs fast, fully patched, no Steam updates to wait for, and the shortest filepaths :) )

I'm updating a bunch of my installers right now to work with the GOG version of FF by default (though you can just specify any path as always)
Thanks. Tried a few missions, seems there may be a few oddities. Sometimes characters do not respond to commands. Still fun though.
I am surprised some of the hidden things in missions that not all walkthroughs cover.
Now I have to figure out how to get OBS to record video. Tried once, I get full audio but black picture.

PS - On your site at this link: http://www.alexff.com/faq.php#27._Hmm,_is_there_a_special_order_I_should_be_installing_all_this_stuff_in
the link for FFX 2.6 goes to a dead link, I get a, "This site can't be reached," message. I have a copy of a file named ffx_2_6_gold.exe stored with some other FF files from years ago so I think I am good.

abenavides

Thanks for letting me know about the link. I've updated it to point to the new site.
www.alexff.com

justintyme2174

So I decided to go ahead and get both games from GOG.  Are we still able to use things like Dr. Mike's FFX for the games? How does one go about installing them now?

abenavides

Yep it all should work. Check the FAQ on my site for order to install stuff in.

Biggest trick to remember is to install in the right path :

I use GOG myself now, paths are:
C:\GOG Games\Freedom Force
C:\GOG Games\Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich

www.alexff.com

Merchant

Even though I have GOG versions, I used paths like C:\Freedom Force.

Merchant

So I have tried a few missions with an unmodified GOG  :ffvstr:. One thing that stood out to me is the EXP system is different and bugged.
Different in that when a Character does Level Up, I cannot see the 200/300 they should get as I did in original  :ff:. This can make it hard to track who is close to leveling up and who would be best suited to get an EXP Canister.
Bugged in that how they get EXP seems wonky. Here's the results of the first 4 missions, this presumes an EXP Canister gives you 600 CP.

Mission 1
Alchemiss 600 with/without Canister, the EXP Canister has no effect.

Mission 2
Alchemiss 600 without Canister, makes no sense unless you got the Canister from Mission 1 that would leave 300 from Mission 1 plus 300 here. But you still get this even without the Mission 1 Canister.
El Diablo/Mentor 600 with Canister.

Mission 3
Alchemiss 600 without Canister, really again? Seems they wanted her to Level Up fast or the GOG version is bugged.
El Diablo 600 without Canister, should make sense if he gets 300 from Mission 2 & 3.
Minuteman 600 without Canister, how? He was stuck last Mission so should have only gotten 200 plus 300 from this, not the 600 needed for Leveling.
Tombstone 600 with Canister, makes sense.

Mission 4
Alchemiss/Bullet/Minuteman 600 with Canister, makes sense.
Mentor 600 without Canister, 300 from Mission 2, 200 Mission 3, 200 here for 700, makes sense.
Tombstone 600 without Canister, should make sense presuming he had 300 just from last Mission not counting Mission 3 Canister plus 300 here.
Did not use El Diablo.

So there have been 2 times for Alchemiss and 1 for Minuteman where they Leveled Up but should not have. Harder to track without seeing the 200/330 addition per Mission.