Batman: The Killing Joke

Started by Midnite, April 04, 2016, 03:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Batman the Killing Joke confirmed for R rating.

Discussion of the movie's content and rating (mostly by me) started in the DC Animated Movies thread rather than here.

Considering how much blood is some of the recent DC animated movies with PG-13 (I recently watched Batman vs. Robin and Bad Blood, and uh, yeah. Not for kids at all) And the fact that the only overtly violent thing I can recall in Killing Joke being Barbara being shot, I don't think a faithful version of the movie would get a R strictly for the violence (unless a women getting shot in the torso guarantees an R rating). However, we do know there's content original to the movie featuring Babs as Barbara (which I was expecting would be about her; I haven't seen the preview clips yet, though I can't imagine anything being in there that's more violent than in the movies I just mentioned). Thus, 1. the R rating is for sexual content, 2. DC added a whole bunch of stuff that wasn't originally in there, or 3. DC wants to do as much to cover their butts regarding this movie as possible when the inevitable soccer mom buys this for their kid and then gets ticked at DC (which you'd think would come up with the last few years worth of movies), or angry feminist decries it. Considering Bruce Timm himself said that due to the Seinfeld Is Funny effect being in play (where an older piece of work is considered "tame" or disappointing by later standards) this could have gotten a PG-13, I think 2 and or 3 are in effect.

It's also possible the movie's Rated M for Money, though considering it's an adaptation of the frigging Killing Joke, I'm not so sure it needs the extra buzz.

One thing's for sure though, I'm looking forward to seeing this bad boy to find out. Hamill and Conroy are going to kill it!

On a more selfish side, I think there's a chance it's less likely to air on tv as a result of this, but that's not a big deal for me because I'm almost certain to rent this digitally when it comes out, and if it's as good as I'm hoping I'm probably going to buy it at some point.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Violence isnt really the problem here.Jokers torture of Gordons had some sexual overtones,and people  are touchy about that sort of thing so they probably thought to play it safe.
That being said,rating never stoped younger viewers from watching something.Expecialy now with the internet.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

I just wish Target and Walmart would stop selling these in the kids section.  Even when Warner Bros puts a bit PG 13 not for kids warning label on the front, then STILL put these cartoons in the kids section.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

If its animated and/or includes superheroes then it must be for kids,right?
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's like in my local library I have found things such as Y: the Last Man and Serious House on Serious Earth in the kids section.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Silver Shocker

My high school library carried a trade of Preacher. I remember mentioning that at the local comic book store and one of the regulars was surprised.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

daglob

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 16, 2016, 06:01:33 AM
It's like in my local library I have found things such as Y: the Last Man and Serious House on Serious Earth in the kids section.

I have a friend who does the purchasing for the children's/Teen section of the local library system. He says he get requests for stuff from parents and kids for movies that he feels violate the guidelines for the age groups. He's pretty sure that the parents don't know, they just think a cartoon is a cartoon...

detourne_me

Quote from: daglob on April 27, 2016, 03:15:15 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on April 16, 2016, 06:01:33 AM

I have a friend who does the purchasing for the children's/Teen section of the local library system. He says he get requests for stuff from parents and kids for movies that he feels violate the guidelines for the age groups. He's pretty sure that the parents don't know, they just think a cartoon is a cartoon...

"Yeah, my kind dis really loved that Jim Carrey movie, you know the superhero one? I heard it was based on a comic."
"Kick-butt 2? I'm sorry but that's not really acceptable for children."
"no, no, no. The Mask! You think we could get some of those comics for the kids?"
" :unsure:"

HarryTrotter

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/dc-comics/4010-10/forums/parents-outraged-over-batman-comic-399657/
Remember this case?We need a rating system.Oh,wait...Thou,surprising how some people managed to miss the last 50 years of pop culture...
Anyway...Killing Joke...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So I have seen the trailer now. My thoughts:

-I like how faithful it's looking so far. Like Year One and DKR before it, this IS the comic story (barring that extra stuff with Batgirl they've added, but still).
-Unsurprisingly Conroy and Hamill sound great saying those lines. I especially liked Hamill's "Why aren't your LAUGHING" for how un-Hamill it sounded. Like, he could have phoned it in and just made it sound like any typically hammy Mark Hamill Joker line, but instead he delivered it in such a strained, deranged way that it almost didn't sound like Hamill.
-Need to hear more of Gordon before I can tell if I like him in the role. Would have been great if they got the actor from Batman TAS, Bob Hastings, but he passed away a few years ago.

Now, for the big comment I have about this movie: I don't really like the animation.

Now I understand it would be hard to make an animated movie of it and make it look like Brian Bolland's art. That's fine. But the art style in this looks kind of inconsistent in its quality. Some shots look fine, even good, others look kinda crappy. This extends to Joker's character design as well. I feel like it's kinda tainted my excitement for the whole thing a bit as a result.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/04/batman-killing-joke-movie-release-date
And some nice extras.
^They talked about it earlier.There  was just no way to translate BBs artwork into animated form.
I liked Bryan Cranston as Commisioner Gordon.
Jon Farmer