News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

EZscript Modding Questions/Problems

Started by OrWolvie1, May 18, 2016, 01:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OrWolvie1

Those of you following my other thread know that I've been fighting a variety of issues getting this mod of mine off the ground. Right now, I got some of my problems solved, now I've encountered a new one that is kicking my butt. All the encounters/cutscenes are finally working properly, but the third act, I have a mission that requires only 1 hero. And that's all I want. Yet when i start the mission, the cutscenes don't play at all, the villains do nothing, and three of them get assigned as heroes (which may be part of the problem as to why the cutscenes aren't working properly, though I'm not sure about that one) Any suggestions how I can fix it so that there is the one hero? I've checked the campaign option in FFedit, set the required heroes to 1 and selected the required hero I want for the encounter. So any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BentonGrey

Or, here's some quick thoughts.  First, is the map set up properly?  Does it have your hero markers, encounter markers, etc? 

Second, are the villains set as villains in FFEdit?

Third, what kind of encounter starts the mission?  In fact, it might be a good idea to post your mission script.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 19, 2016, 12:31:32 AM
Or, here's some quick thoughts.  First, is the map set up properly?  Does it have your hero markers, encounter markers, etc? 

Second, are the villains set as villains in FFEdit?

Third, what kind of encounter starts the mission?  In fact, it might be a good idea to post your mission script.

I'm thinking it's the map that isn't set up right. The map I'm using is entitled ds_mp_canadian_airfield. I need to examine it a little closer. Because I don't think there are any encounter markers on it, and that could be part of the problem.

BentonGrey

If you don't have the proper markers, nothing will work right.  Always check markers first, as they're the foundation for everything else.  Check my tutorials for lists.

I make this mistake all the freaking time! :P
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 19, 2016, 05:56:55 AM
If you don't have the proper markers, nothing will work right.  Always check markers first, as they're the foundation for everything else.  Check my tutorials for lists.

I make this mistake all the freaking time! :P

DO you have any tutorials in regards to Maps and requirements?  this map has markers like group1marker1 and skirmishspawn and squad11 but nothing about hero1, 2, 3 etc or encounters of any kind. And unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the map have to have encounter markers for your players and encounters for the villains/minions?

BentonGrey

God Bless

OrWolvie1

Thanks for the assist once again, BG. I added a couple of encounters and ran it again, and looks like that did the trick. Now all I need to do is tweek it a bit then I can move on. Greatly appreciated!  :thumbup:

BentonGrey

God Bless

OrWolvie1

Hello all, it looks like I've run into another brick wall with this Mod of mine. The story is pretty much written, the encounters are set, the cutscenes are done, the base screens are ready, the characters are ready, the villains are staged, BUT, when I try and test it, I go through the first encounter, which plays beautifully. Then it goes the the next mission, to the base screen, the camera comes up, and nothing. And what's weird to me, is if I hit the escape key, it goes to the briefing screen, and if I hit the replay intermission, then it plays through just fine. Or if I exit the game, and reload it, hit the continue mission button, it plays fine. But it won't transition from one mission to the next without doing that. Any thoughts as to why or how to correct this?

BentonGrey

Howdy Or, I got your email, but I'll reply here, if you don't mind.  That way the information will be more easily available if others have similar problems. 

So, first things first, please post your EZScript files and your script.log (look for "Traceback").  That will help us diagnose any problems.

I've had this happen before.  Sometimes it is something obvious that I've missed, but other times it can be more challenging.  Let's start with your Hero identification for Doomsday.  There's a simple solution.  Create a second Doomsday to be a villain, Doomsday1.  If you change their strings entries, they'll both show up as "Doomsday" in the game.

I don't think that is the problem, but that way you can check and be sure.  Without more information, that's all I can think of.  Let's see the mission file and maybe we can figure out something else.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 01, 2016, 02:16:16 PM
Howdy Or, I got your email, but I'll reply here, if you don't mind.  That way the information will be more easily available if others have similar problems. 

So, first things first, please post your EZScript files and your script.log (look for "Traceback").  That will help us diagnose any problems.

I've had this happen before.  Sometimes it is something obvious that I've missed, but other times it can be more challenging.  Let's start with your Hero identification for Doomsday.  There's a simple solution.  Create a second Doomsday to be a villain, Doomsday1.  If you change their strings entries, they'll both show up as "Doomsday" in the game.

I don't think that is the problem, but that way you can check and be sure.  Without more information, that's all I can think of.  Let's see the mission file and maybe we can figure out something else.

I had to create another Doomsday character and select it as a Gen_hero for it to show up, which is fine. It's the base screens that have been defeating me. Here's the first one, obviously, I am doing SOMETHING wrong because they are all do it so apparently I'm doing something wrong. I have gone through the FF file and except for the usual stuff, I don't see anything wrong. Here is the EZscipt for the first base screen. I've tried tweeking it, and all it does is make it worse. I'll let you look at it and see if you see anything. Otherwise, I'm done.

Story: base_1

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encounter: Start
Type: Base

Start Cutscene:
Unfade for 2 seconds
Cinematic Camera on batman
narrator says, "Having defeated the various assassins in Patriot City, the heroes have returned home, intent on investigating what Deathstroke told them or didn't tell them."
Camera on flash
flash moves to batman
Cinematic Camera on flash to batman
flash says, "Hey Bats. Taskmaster and his pals are all up at Iron Heights."
batman turns to flash
batman says, "That's good news. I've been analyzing Slade's various offshore accounts and I think I've found what we're been looking for."

#
# The briefing cutscene will play when the player
# selects the briefing button on the base screen.
#
# Notice the 'Starts when: Briefing' line.
# That must be there or it won't play as a briefing.
#

Encounter: Briefing
Type: Cutscene
Starts When: Briefing

Start Cutscene:
Cinematic Camera on capt_america to batman
capt_america walks to batman
capt_america says, "What have you found, Bruce?"
Cinematic Camera on batman to green_arrow
batman says, "Well, I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly who hired our friends from tonight, but the money trail leads back to a shell company, named Skrim Technologies."
green_arrow turns to batman
green_arrow says, "Never heard of them."
batman says, "Not surprising as they don't exist, physically. However, they did transfer a million dollars into his account."
flash says, "And how do you know that?"
batman says, "I hacked into his account, as well as those of all the assassins from earlier tonight. They all have similar deposits, all from the same company. And that's where things get interesting. The trail starts and stops there. No ISP trail to follow, no electronic footprint whatsover."
capt_america says, "How is that possible?"
batman says, "As far as I've always known, it isn't. I've never seen anything like it."
green_arrow says, "In other words, we got nothing."
flash says, "So what happens now?"
capt_america says, "I can get in touch with some of my contacts at S.H.I.E.L.D. and see what they can do with it, as well as Doctor Banner and Tony Stark."
iron_man flies to capt_america
Cinematic camera on iron_man to capt_america
iron_man plays animation land_from_flight
iron_man says, "I'll see what I can do with this. Sounds like a challenge."
Camera on batman
batman says, "Meanwhile, I will continue my analysis of that meteor that entered our atmosphere earlier tonight."
green_arrow turns to batman
green_arrow says, "You still going on about that? C'mon, Points, we have other things to worry about, don't you think?"
batman says, "I know, but something about that meteor has me on edge. I have a theory, that, if I'm right, may shed a bit more light on our current puzzle."
Fade for 2 seconds

#-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BentonGrey

You'll figure it out.  There's no sense in giving up after you've got it almost done.  You've done the hard stuff; now it's just troubleshooting.

Okay, some thoughts. 

You say that when you go from the mission into the base scene, it focuses the camera and then hangs up?  Yet, if you escape past it and click 'replay intermission' it plays fine?  That's a strange one.

If it is hanging up at the beginning, then the problem is with the base scene.  Try just cutting it out and seeing if just focusing the camera will work. 

If it's playing at all, then you've probably already done this, but make sure that everything and everyone you're calling is on the base map.
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 02, 2016, 03:22:32 AM
You'll figure it out.  There's no sense in giving up after you've got it almost done.  You've done the hard stuff; now it's just troubleshooting.

Okay, some thoughts. 

You say that when you go from the mission into the base scene, it focuses the camera and then hangs up?  Yet, if you escape past it and click 'replay intermission' it plays fine?  That's a strange one.

If it is hanging up at the beginning, then the problem is with the base scene.  Try just cutting it out and seeing if just focusing the camera will work. 

If it's playing at all, then you've probably already done this, but make sure that everything and everyone you're calling is on the base map.

What it is, Benton is frustrating as hell!  :banghead: I figure my next step is to delete the base.dat, because thus far, all the base scenes that are giving me issues use the same one. I am going to try a fresh install, reset all the characters and see if that makes a difference. If not, then I'm going to try a different map and see what happens. After that, if it still doesn't transition, then I haven't a clue. I do believe that I have the script set up right, but I may need to tweek it some more. I dunno. I just know that after all this time, it's been one headache after another. And even though I may get extremely frustated with it, and want to just say; "Hell with  it!" I am going to finish this damn thing, even if it takes me forever, and i continue to be a royal pain to everyone until I get it done. :banghead: :banghead:

And on a totally unrelated note, how does one designate the number of minions that shows up in a particular encounter? For the first mission, I selected two different ones, and about 10 of them show up during the mission. On the next mission, I put about 10 or so, and I get two. Another mission, I selected 4 different types, and get 4. I know it has to be something obvious. Is it possible that there is a limit to how many of any one template you are allowed to use? Or is there a script setting that I need to modify for each mission?