DC Comic Powerless TV Series

Started by Midnite, January 08, 2016, 05:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

QuoteNBC has officially ordered a pilot for the half-hour comedy series Powerless from "A to Z" creator Ben Queen and Warner Bros. TV. The pilot will be written and executive produced by Queen.

While not based on any particular comic from the DC canon, the series is described as "a workplace comedy set at one of the worst insurance companies in America" and is at its core is about "the reality of working life for a normal, powerless person in a world of superheroes and villains."

Whole article can be read here

HarryTrotter

They want to compeate with Damage Control and Agents?But why? :|
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

RISE FROM THE DEAD!  RISE I SAY!

Okay with the series about to come out, it's time to bring this thread back to life.  New Trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaIHAlsc6no

I'm not so impressed so far.  I was surprised to see Starro making his live action debut, the rewatched to trailer to realize he appears only to be easily squished. What are they doing to a great villain/monster?

I was also surprise that while they are apparently not allowed to have any of the big name heroes actually appear on the show, they are allowed to name drop them.  Two of the DC Trinity and the secret identity of the third are all mentioned in this trailer.  Which will be stupid if they never are shown, even briefly in news articles.  Especially if they have nothing to do with beating Starro.  Who I am now afraid is being reduces to laughingstock minor villain.

We'll see, but I am not optimistic.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Panther_Gunn

Who do they think he is, Dr. frikkin' Light?
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I realized what's been bugging me out this.

This is coming across to me, not as an affectionate parody, but as a critical one.  Notice that when talking about the super battles and how dangerous they are for normal folks, they are always referred to as the heroes' battles, or the heroes endangering people.  The villains while shown are never mentioned as being at fault at all.  It's all the heroes fault.

And the scene with the tiny invisible jet, while funny, seems to come across more as mocking the charcter and her jet, not just poking fun at it.

I'm getting the increasing feeling that this was made by people that don't actually like superheroes very much.

Talavar

This show also got seriously reworked after shooting the pilot, possibly more than once.  It doesn't give one confidence.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It was supposed to be about an insurance company, but obviously that was completely changed.

catwhowalksbyhimself

So that was a thing that happened.  It wasn't as offensive as I thought it would be (although Starro is made to be even more a joke than I expected) but it wasn't all that funny.  Just a bunk of hapless misfits trying to make gadgets that Batman promptly steals for his own use.

I don't think I'll bother watching it any further.