Thor: Ragnarok

Started by Shogunn2517, May 20, 2016, 08:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 23, 2016, 02:57:58 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on May 23, 2016, 01:31:55 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, except about the Ghostbusters movie.  The difference is that those are new characters, not changes to existing characters (as I understand it).  That's the central issue.

They aren't really new characters.  They may have different names, but each seems to be an obvious match for one of the originals.  If they were completely different, then I'd have less of an issue with it.

They do?  I don't see anyone that calls to mind Peter Venkmann, and Kristen Wiig's character doesn't remind me of anyone from the original movie.  Kate McKinnon's look reminds me of the cartoon version of Egon, but the cartoon version of Egon looked nothing like actual Egon, and she hasn't said enough in the trailers to remind me of anyone either.  Leslie Jones, as both the only black ghostbuster and the only non-scientist ghostbuster is pretty much forced to call Winston to mind (which I think is a mistake).  Who do you think pair up so neatly?

hoss20

I don't disagree with you at all Shogunn. I do think that what's being discussed here is very relevant. My problem is that the name of the thread is "Thor: Ragnarok" and the initial post mentions four new additions to the movie. If the title of the thread was, "Marvel does it again. Look who they cast as Valkyrie," then everything being mentioned here would be completely on topic.

I agree that the discussion of gender-swapping or change of ethnicity for characters that have been around longer than most fans have been alive only for the sake of inclusion or change for the sake of change is topical. I just think the topic needs to have its own thread rather than derailing every thread that mentions a choice in casting.

HarryTrotter

A) Do we have to do this for every movie?Yes,there are better ways,like the DCAU example.No,we cant change anything either way.
B) Maybe start a thread for Ghostbusters?
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

OrWolvie1

Here's a novel idea. How about we just recast every character we've all grown up with and known for years, with whoever, not say anything to anyone, and let the audience try and figure out who is who and who is supposed to be who or what? We can classify it as an Audience Participation Feature.  <_<

But seriously, the studios are going to do whatever they want to do, regardless of what the fans think, trying to lure in a wider range of people to whatever feature they create. yes, most of these characters were created back in a time when white males were the predominate readers, and I totally understand trying to diversify things to both appeal and appease the current fan base, but IMO, why not leave these characters the way they always have been, and *gasp* create new characters for a new generation?

Shogunn2517

Quote from: hoss20 on May 23, 2016, 04:48:00 AM
I don't disagree with you at all Shogunn. I do think that what's being discussed here is very relevant. My problem is that the name of the thread is "Thor: Ragnarok" and the initial post mentions four new additions to the movie. If the title of the thread was, "Marvel does it again. Look who they cast as Valkyrie," then everything being mentioned here would be completely on topic.

I agree that the discussion of gender-swapping or change of ethnicity for characters that have been around longer than most fans have been alive only for the sake of inclusion or change for the sake of change is topical. I just think the topic needs to have its own thread rather than derailing every thread that mentions a choice in casting.

Lol yeah well... I honestly thought it was inevitable.

At least this facet of it.  Then everyone else came with the Ghostbusters and whatnot.

But I seriously would like to know would they really cast the Executioner and not the Enchantress?  I mean, Skurge and Amora goes together like... well like Valkyrie and blonde pigtails.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I admit I am not a huge ghostbusters fan, don't even know the characters names and only vaguely recall seeing the first movie once, so my impressions are hardly clear ones.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

I think that Ghostbusters film has problems enough on its own merits, but that's neither here nor there. 

Shogunn, good point.  It does seem like we really should see the Enchantress if we're going to get the Executioner. 

Tal, you didn't respond to my point.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 26, 2016, 02:07:55 AM
I think that Ghostbusters film has problems enough on its own merits, but that's neither here nor there. 

Shogunn, good point.  It does seem like we really should see the Enchantress if we're going to get the Executioner. 

Tal, you didn't respond to my point.

Sorry Benton, it kind of got lost in the fray, and then I didn't want to further derail the thread.  I agree, a different, more diverse character is preferable to just swapping a character's ethnicity around, but that is difficult at times, such as the cast of characters associated with Thor.  Not a lot of diversity there.  I know there are reasons for that being the case, but I also don't feel much is lost, and something is gained in a case like this.

BentonGrey

Figured that might be the case.  Well, sometimes it works out well, like with Idris Elba, but I'd cast that guy in anything.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

So here are the first shots of Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie.  Honestly I've been thinking that it was just gonna be Tessa Thompson in a Valkyrie costume.  Which would be a weird look.  But apparently they're going a different way with the character completely.

And there's also a reveal of another character that tells more of the plot.

http://uproxx.com/movies/thor-ragnarok-valkyrie-miek/

Silver Shocker

MIEK!

This is the most interested I've been in Thor Ragnarok since its Inception.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

SickAlice

Looks good or at least like it has a lot to deliver. And if Civil War was any kind of indicator. As long as it doesn't focus on a bunch of hipster college kids and a middle aged man running around in his underpants (yeesh!) I'll dig it.