The Next James Bond.... will be...

Started by Shogunn2517, May 27, 2016, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shogunn2517

Disclaimer:  This thread is not about Idris Elba or Gillian Anderson.  It's about the actor/actress that will be the next James Bond and the next James Bond movie.  If you want to b---- about James Bond not being black or blonde or female, go to twitter or the Whitewashing thread.  Please not here.  Thanks

Now...  in case you haven't heard, but Daniel Craig went on record saying that he would rather commit suicide than to play James Bond again.  Apparently he'd rather have small parts in Disney movies these days.  So over the last several months(particularly over the last few weeks), talks have been heating up over who should or who will be the next James Bond.

Of course over the last month I've heard names like Damien Lewis(Band of Brothers/Homeland) and Idris Elba(The Wire/Thor) to play James Bond.  IMO, one of those names are realistic possibilities,  the other might be more wishful thinking.  That said, and with the news that Tom Hiddleston is in talks to play the role, my FB page has been going back and forth about who should and who will take over.
http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/27/exclusive-tom-hiddleston-in-talks-for-bond-25

And I'm sure we all have our favorites and those that will be instantly criricized.  But if I had to make the decision, it would be a little wishful thinking and a little realistic.

But it's all in fun.

Top 5 Choice:
5.  Philip Winchester(The Player/Strike Back)
4.  Richard Armitage(Strike Back/The Hobbit)
3.  Henry Cavil (Man of Steel)
2.  Tom Hiddleston(Thor)
1.  Michael Fassbender(X-Men Franchise)

Thoughts?

GhostMachine

When Pierce Brosnan left the role, I wanted Clive Owen to be Bond. I think he'd still work, for a film or two.

My Top 5:

5. Andrew Lincoln
4. Damien Lewis
3. Luke Evans
2. Richard Armitage
1. Clive Owen

If they want to go younger and cast an actor in their late 20s to early 30s, Sam Clafin or Aidan Turner would be good choices.

Silver Shocker

I also always wanted Clive Owen to be Bond. He might be a bit old now, but after the distinguished ruggedness of Craig, I think he could still work.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

I could see Tom Hiddleston, and wouldn't object to that.  I also keep seeing stories about Jamie Bell (the Thing in the newest Fan 4), to which I say: pass.

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I don't see it with Jamie Bell (even if he played the brother of Craig's character in a different movie) but Hiddleston? Sure. I'm not really a Loki fan but he's a good actor, people love him, I'd say he's earned that.

As a child raised on Bond (my father was and still is a Bond fan) I feel the writing and approach to the film is what's really important to revitalize the franchise after Craig's come and gone, but you want to start with a good first impression, you want a Bond casting that can get people talking.

Mind you, I was skeptical as heck about Craig. I didn't warm up to him until Skyfall. So who knows.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

To be honest, I don't think I've really ever warmed up to Craig.   IMO, I don't really see James Bond as the rugged action type.  Not to mention Craig seemed to be one humorless puss.  James Bond as I know him has often made cracks and situational puns.  While it might seem a bit old school, all of them did it.  It made Bond... charming.  Didn't get that from Daniel Craig.

But about about Clive Owen, I believe there was talk about him taking over before Craig.  Another in the same situation was Cavil, who they actually did want but he was very young then.

Silver Shocker

Craig had quite a bit more wit in Skyfall and Spectre, but he (and the plots) were also so dour and serious that it still kinda nullified that.

The big reason why I have a hard time believing Owen would do Bond (other than he's aged notably since Sin City and Shoot Em Up) and that he doesn't seem to be in action movies as much anymore, or at least I can recall. The last I can recall was Killer Elite, but that was more of a spy thriller. Mind you, I had never heard of Craig before his casting, and as such it still cracks me up that prior to Bond he was in the Tomb Raider movie.

I'll say this though: I wanna see David Tennant as a Bond villain. That would be fantastic.
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on May 28, 2016, 09:18:47 AM
To be honest, I don't think I've really ever warmed up to Craig.   IMO, I don't really see James Bond as the rugged action type.  Not to mention Craig seemed to be one humorless puss.  James Bond as I know him has often made cracks and situational puns.  While it might seem a bit old school, all of them did it.  It made Bond... charming.  Didn't get that from Daniel Craig.

But about about Clive Owen, I believe there was talk about him taking over before Craig.  Another in the same situation was Cavil, who they actually did want but he was very young then.

I don't know, too much of the quippy jokes made Bond always seem like a sociopath to me.  Particularly the Roger Moore & Pierce Brosnan eras, where someone would die horribly, then make a pun with a smile on their face and a song in their heart.  I know all versions of Bond have done this to some degree, but Moore and Brosnan otherwise were pretty light, so the tonal shift was jarring.

GhostMachine

James Bond is more of a thug in the books than he was in the films prior to Craig, though.

No Bond portrayal has been accurate to the original novels, anyway. Ian Fleming based Bond's physical appearance on Hoagy Carmichael of all people, and added a scar on his cheek that's absent from the movies. Of all the portrayals, I'd say Timothy Dalton's is closest to the books even though both of his films stunk. (License to Kill seemed to be more of a generic revenge action flick with Bond shoehorned in.)

Talavar

Quote from: GhostMachine on May 28, 2016, 04:36:57 PM
James Bond is more of a thug in the books than he was in the films prior to Craig, though.

No Bond portrayal has been accurate to the original novels, anyway. Ian Fleming based Bond's physical appearance on Hoagy Carmichael of all people, and added a scar on his cheek that's absent from the movies. Of all the portrayals, I'd say Timothy Dalton's is closest to the books even though both of his films stunk. (License to Kill seemed to be more of a generic revenge action flick with Bond shoehorned in.)

I don't know, early Sean Connery is pretty thuggish.  He's definitely a jerk.

BentonGrey

Holy Hannah!  Damien Lewis is English?  I would have never guessed that.  Crazy.

Hmm, interesting things here.  I love Hiddleston, but I don't think he's right for the part.  He's perfect for Loki, sly, clever, but not really the physical sort.  I would be willing to be convinced, but I don't see it.  I never much liked Clive Owen, probably due, unfairly, to the fact that Children of Men is such a terrible film.  I should probably see more of his movies and give him a better chance.  After The Man from U.N.C.L.E., I could definitely get on board with Cavil taking on the role, though I don't think I've ever heard him speak with is actual accent.  He's definitely got the charm and the physical presence.

Tal, what's Bond without a little sociopathic wit?  ^_^
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Talavar on May 28, 2016, 03:27:58 PM
I don't know, too much of the quippy jokes made Bond always seem like a sociopath to me.  Particularly the Roger Moore & Pierce Brosnan eras, where someone would die horribly, then make a pun with a smile on their face and a song in their heart.  I know all versions of Bond have done this to some degree, but Moore and Brosnan otherwise were pretty light, so the tonal shift was jarring.

I noticed that when rewatching the Moore movies. I'd also heard that Bond was more of a thug and that Craig was closer to the books.

Benton, Clive Owen was great in Sin City, and Shoot Em Up is a very underrated film IMO (though Paul Giamatti overshadows him in it)
~Rocky Balboa

BWPS

I think I like Tom Hiddleston the best. Every Bond is different, but I think he captures all the things I like best about the character while still being a very different take. But mainly I just like him the best. Disclaimer: I only know him as Loki. And I may be in luck because a Facebook trend link is saying he's in "final talks." I possibly won't watch it regardless as frequent mind-blowing superhero movies have spoiled the previously diverse world of action movies I enjoy for me.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Shogunn2517

Quote from: BWPS on May 29, 2016, 01:55:17 AM
I think I like Tom Hiddleston the best. Every Bond is different, but I think he captures all the things I like best about the character while still being a very different take. But mainly I just like him the best. Disclaimer: I only know him as Loki. And I may be in luck because a Facebook trend link is saying he's in "final talks." I possibly won't watch it regardless as frequent mind-blowing superhero movies have spoiled the previously diverse world of action movies I enjoy for me.

I think talks about TH has heated up due to his work on Night Manager on AMC.  He plays it more suave and slick, which is very un-Loki-like.  But while could see him as Bond, I do kinda agree it's hard for me to see him doing Bond like action.  But I also didn't see it from the stuff suit in Mrs. Doubtfire either.

UnkoMan

Gillian Anderson.
No really, I heard she really wants to.
And she was believably fake British in The Fall.

Actually, I was really into the idea of Idris Elba being Bond when I first heard that rumour, because he is amazing. But it won't happen, boo hoo.