News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 76: Hawkman

Started by Podmark, May 28, 2016, 05:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Hawkman's classic design?

Love
Meh
Dislike
Hate

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

I absolutely love this costume. It shouldn't work at all.  It's completely ridiculous and doesn't fit in with the standard superhero set at all, and yet, I think it is fantastic.  The lower half is classic superhero, the upper half is fantasy, Flash Gordon-esq.  The helmet and wings are wonderfully distinctive.  The whole effect is striking and exciting, but it's the kind of thing you can only have one of.  That's why the more conservative costume of Hawkgirl is a good counterpart to it.

I think it never looked better than when drawn by Joe Kubert:
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/175/hawkman_whoswho.gif
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

I'm a bit more meh on this one then Benton is... It's a bit too busy for my tastes. I'm more inclined towards the version in (I believe) the JSA series... In that one, the mask is all one color (it bothers me seeing versions with two color masks. It just doesn't look right), took out the striped underoos, and added some nifty bracers for the arms. That said, I do prefer the belt and boots of this design, even if I also wouldn't mind seeing all-gold boots similar to the n52 look (but not nearly so complicated... just something to visually tie the boots and the bracers together).

BentonGrey

I agree, bracers are a good edition, and a single color mask would also be an improvement.  Still, I think losing the little touches of accent on the boots and trunks would be a mistake.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

detourne_me

I remember getting the Kenner Super Powers toy of Hawkman randomly at a Christmas white elephant gift exchange when I was in cub scouts or Beavers (Canadian Boy Scout group). I was so happy. For nostalgia alone I rate this a 'love'

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 28, 2016, 08:46:48 PM
It shouldn't work at all.  It's completely ridiculous and doesn't fit in with the standard superhero set at all, and yet, I think it is fantastic.  The lower half is classic superhero, the upper half is fantasy, Flash Gordon-esq.

I fall on the other side. Not big on Hawkman's look. Some of the more modern attempts work a little better for me but I'm not a fan. The bare chested look rarely works for me.
Gave it a dislike.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

You're absolutely right.  The bare chested look rarely works, but for me, Hawkman is the exception that proves the rule.  He's that 'rarely.'  ;)
God Bless

Tomato

Not to stray too far off topic, but I wanted to link to the design I was talking about before, because I couldn't when I originally posted. Again, about the only thing I really prefer about the classic design compared to that one is the boots... that stupid shinguard thing makes no sense and looks goofy.

Speaking of the boots, I never noticed this until looking at the design for this discussion, but if you look, the boots are designed with little talons on the ends. Now, I'm sure that was a good idea in the 60s/70s, but that design element persists until the 2000s... and I'm sorry, but the more I look at it, the stupider it is. Because the reality is, they don't look like hawk talons, they look like chicken feet. It's just stupid, and doesn't fit with the character.