News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

emergent gameplay stories

Started by bearded, June 18, 2016, 03:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearded

Got any good ones? Emergent gameplay is when things happen that are apparently beyond the developers designs. I'll start with a couple.
In  :ff: I was playing Cyclops and Jean vs Juggernaught. Jugs walked up to Cyc, unstoppable and hits him so hard that he ping pongs back and forth between two buildings so fast and hard that both of them are completely destroyed.
I was playing 7 Days to Die, (a zombie survival minecraft clone with better graphics) and I was fearful of the new bear monster. The bears will leave you alone unless you get too close, then they clobber you. I saw one near the stream, and went back into my base. Later I went back out, to the stream and no bear, but I did see a chicken in the middle of the stream, kind of floating. I screeched, "Chicken!" and jumped in after it. Immediately, the bear, apparently hiding underwater beneath the chicken clobbered me. I no way believe the devs programmed that.
This last one is more of a player interaction, rather than code. I was playing Nexus Wars, a very basic turn based game, with a number of points to play per day, like some of the fb games. I was playing a huge red demon named Darkness, and I had just used my last few remaining points to hide in a random house. (It is post apocalypse.) A few minutes later, a female paladin comes in and also begins to hide. I spend my last point to give her a frying pan, something I had randomly scavenged. (It is free to send messages.) She asked me, "Why did you give me that?" I responded, "If we are going to spend the night in this house, I expect breakfast in the morning." I logged out.
Logging in the next day, I discovered that she had logged in a little earlier and used most of her points to beat me to death with the frying pan.

spydermann93

:lol: What a clever bear. Was he named Yogi, perhaps? That last one is probably the best of the three, hahaha

And what weight did you set Cyclops to? Geeze!

bearded

Weight was whatever it was defaulted to. Jug hits hard. I had another story where Supergirl throws a car at Magneto and it bounces back and hits her, explodes and knocks her out. That was probably to be expected, not emergant however. Still neat to see.
Nobody has any cool stories?

detourne_me

It's kind of a mini-game of mine when I play Witcher 3 to spot Michael Cera. There an NPC model that looks just like Michael Cera.  Sometimes he plays a lute in Dandelion's saloon. sometimes he's begging for change on the streets of Novigrad. I think I even saw him once before as a fisherman in Skellige!

BentonGrey

Haha, this is all quite fun!  Great idea for a topic, Bearded.  I like that one about the bear, and it's always entertaining to see what crazy things the physics in FF can do.  I've had some pretty crazy things happen with Gambit in FF, but I think my favorite emergent story is from the excellent Jagged Alliance style game, Silent Storm.  It's an awesome turn based tactical WWII title with really great physics.  You can shoot through walls, blow open doors, and completely destroy buildings.  I didn't realize just how good the physics were until one fateful day. 

My team was clearing a small village, and there was a big, two story mansion at the center of town.  My operatives had stormed it, and they'd wiped out all the defenders on the top and ground floor, but I discovered that there was a basement, and I could hear some enemies walking around down there.  This basement was directly under the main room on the first floor, flanked by two big staircases.  There wasn't a good way to get down there in force without getting my guys shot to pieces. 

So, I choose my stealthiest, fastest character, who had the most action points, and I sent him rushing down the stairs.  He ran down, combat triggered, but he got the first turn, so he tossed a grenade at the two Nazis standing in the middle of the basement, then he hightailed it back up the stairs and out of the line of fire with his remaining action points.  He ended up standing in the middle of that room, directly above where he had tossed the grenade.

BANG!  The grenade goes off on the enemy's turn.  The round goes on, with them doing whatever they're doing down there, and then, the unexpected happens.  There is a moment of creaking and calculating from the game, then the whole floor beneath my soldier gives way, and he drops down into the basement, right between the two enemies!  The grenade had gone off between them, injuring but not killing them, but it had done enough damage to the ceiling to make it cave beneath my guy's weight.

My operative gets to act again before they do, and he pulls out his pistol, bam, bam, headshots them both.  It was a pretty incredible moment.  I wish I had been able to record it, because it was just too cool!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

catwhowalksbyhimself

I have not played it, but Dwarf Fortress is known for such things.  There's even at least on website dedicated to it.

http://dfstories.com/

EDIT: There are actually TONS of them.  It's a major appeal of the game.  More here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/1fwywl/what_was_your_funniest_or_favourite_dwarf/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Reepicheep