Why can't I like the Netflix Daredevil costume?

Started by ramshackle, June 22, 2016, 11:11:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramshackle

Why is it that original comic book character designs don't translate well to movies?
Why do comic movies involve such a large amount of interpretation of characters?

Admittedly, I can't Make myself like the old incredible Hulk, or the Adam West Batman or even newer adaptations, the Netflix Daredevil of season 2, I just cant take seriously with his red costume.

Is this just me? Or do comic book characters not translate well to movies?

daglob

I had a friend once who insisted that the skin-tight costumes in the comics didn't translate to movies and such because they were too unlikely. He insisted that leather and pouches were more sensible. Then again, he was a Rob Liefield fan.

BentonGrey

I'd say it's just you to a degree on the Daredevil costume.  It isn't perfect, but I don't think the red is hurting it at all.  They've shown him being able to virtually invisible in the dark, despite the red, and the costume looks pretty good in action.  I'm just glad to see him in an actual costume this season.  Elektra's rather disappoints me.  Her costume is pretty simple and easily adaptable.  It just feels rather lazy not to do so.

And Marvel movies have definitely proven that a lot of classic comic costumes can actually translate pretty directly: Thor, Captain America, Vision, Iron Man (the easiest), Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Ant-Man.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UnkoMan

Oh Benton... Now I have to disagree with you.
Elektra's costume in the comics is horrible. Why is she wearing that stupid head bandanna thing? What's the deal with all the pointless random straps?
It makes no sense for her to wear something like that in the show.  Especially in the show. Her clothes are... clothes. Why would she dress up in anything else? She covers her face so it's less apparent that it is her.
It fits in 100% with the way the world is in the show. Just like how basically the reason Matt is dressed like a devil is on account of Gladiator designing him that body armor. I don't think he'd care if it was just black and completely utilitarian.

I thought the end when Punisher finally spray paints a skull on his shirt was pretty hokey too, actually, even though in the back of my mind I was going, "Man, he finally wears a skull, that took long enough."
But it just... it doesn't make any sense for the way the show is. More grounded in reality. People wearing what is, essentially, just regular clothing.

On the other hand, yeah Daredevil's costume looks way better than black sweatclothes.
Wait, which side of this debate was I on?

Talavar

As to the original poster, it's just you.  But I'm split down the middle on Elektra's costume.  I don't think show Elektra has a great costume, but her comic look is pretty ridiculous most of the time.  The weird skirt-loincloth?  The kerchief and the single shoulder strap?  It's weird.

HarryTrotter

Things that work on a page dont work on a screen,to quote Kickass.Ironicly,the movie adaptation kinda proved that.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer