News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Command issues

Started by jordinoboy, June 24, 2016, 09:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jordinoboy

Hello, i've been stalking for a while (since freedom force came out on gog again and i fell in love with it) and been trying to learn the ins and outs of the games. this has even got to the point i'm trying meshes, but i've been having some trouble with FFX, or at least i think i am. I've looked for some help with it but even using the search function i've been unable to locate help on this.

Basicly, the custom commands don't work, things like flier and beautiful work, including the ffx added ones, but nothing that adds a command, there is no error, or other problems, no crashing, just the command doesn't appear on the character. I was hoping someone else had had this problem and found a solution but no matter what i try nothing seems to help.

Sorry if i'm rambling, or if this is in the wrong place or a common question i should have been able to find the answer to and thank you for any help i might get

BentonGrey

Howdy Jordinoboy, and welcome to the community!  It is the best to be found on the wasteland that is the internet.  ;)

Hmm, I haven't encountered that before.  So, you're right clicking on the character in question, on other characters, or on objects, what have you, and you aren't seeing the custom commands at the bottom of the menu?

Well, let's start with the basics.  What's your setup?  What version of Windows, video card, etc.  Are you using the GOG or the Steam version (I assume GOG from your comment).  Are you running it in comparability mode?  Are you running it as an administrator?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

jordinoboy

thanks, and i know, i've spent many hours just reading through ^_^ i hope one day i can add something here.

And yeah, pretty much, no matter what i try, even tried setting up more complex stuff like shape shifter and no command, just my regular attacks

i'm running windows 10, fullscreen, i don't think i'm running it as admin or in compatibility. gog is the version and i think my processor is a AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core and my video card an AMD Radeon HD 6670, i don't know if that helps.

BentonGrey

Well, it took me years and years to be able to contribute anything, and I had many false starts before I ever got anything released.  There are all kinds of ways to contribute if you're interested, so I'm sure you'll find something that works for you eventually.  :D

In terms of your issue, I don't know what could be causing that.  That's definitely a new one on me, but I do know that FF2 doesn't tend to work perfectly on 10 without some tweaking.  Try this:

Right click on your shortcut, select "properties" and then "compatibility."  On that screen, check 'run in compatibility mode,' and select Windows XP (I'd go with SP 2, but you could experiment with some of the options).  Also choose 'Run as Administrator.'  Now, I don't have the GOG version, so I'm not 100% sure it works the same way, but doing this for the Steam version (and for Steam itself at the same time) has made the game run perfectly for me.  I don't know that this will solve your problem, but it's the first place I'd start.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

jordinoboy

okay, i've tried, edited the file and tried the attribute "thunder clap" tried clicking on the character, on others and even the floor, nothing. it's weird, that's the only issue i've had, the game runs fine, attacks work, just not the attributes it seems.

BentonGrey

That's so strange!  Have you run your Control Center and branded all of your characters?  That COULD cause something like that.
God Bless

jordinoboy

okay, if branding means loading a character in control center then saving them i have just tried with the guy i wanted to try and nothing. this is the second character i've saved if i count the attempt at a shapeshifter and nether have worked unfortunately

BentonGrey

Hmm, okay, and you're playing in FFX, having launched the game from that mod's shortcut?
God Bless

jordinoboy

I'm pretty sure yes, i added the -log, though i always wondered if i did it right, i put it in the "target" box, but yes, i use that short cut

spydermann93

Your shortcut should look something like:

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffvt3r.exe" -game ffx3 -log

Start in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3\..\"

And you did run your characters through the FFXControl Center, right? Try also running them through the M25AI Generator as well.

jordinoboy

okay, sorry, i can't believe i didn't say this :/ i'm using the original for now, i'm not bored of it yet, so why not?

Anyway i'm not sure if that changes anything and i'm looking right now for this ai add on, but i can't find it, is it linked anywhere on site or should i already have it and am even stupider than i seem?

daglob

I have my Freedom Force on the D drive. It causes problems in that some of the stuff in game insists on looking on the C drive. I have a lot of trouble with custom attrributes not working.

Could this be part of your trouble?

jordinoboy

nice thought but no, i only use the c drive unfortunately, though knowing me i could have made a mistake like that XD

BentonGrey

Wait, so this is  :ff:, not  :ffvstr:?  Okay, that's probably significant, but I don't have much experience messing with FF1 on Windows 10.  Anybody else?
God Bless

detourne_me

I don't think that the games themselves are the issue.  I think it may be that FFX Control Centre doesn't play nice with Windows 10.  I've never been able to brand my characters properly since using Windows 8 (i think) so almost all custom options have gone kaput for me as well.

This is part of the reason why I love AA's new Q-Men so much.  He made hero files that work well with the vanilla game.  I loved them so much I even added them to the .dat file for the original (in my GoG folder, not in my steam one)

spydermann93

Quote from: detourne_me on June 25, 2016, 02:12:41 PM
I don't think that the games themselves are the issue.  I think it may be that FFX Control Centre doesn't play nice with Windows 10.  I've never been able to brand my characters properly since using Windows 8 (i think) so almost all custom options have gone kaput for me as well.

This is part of the reason why I love AA's new Q-Men so much.  He made hero files that work well with the vanilla game.  I loved them so much I even added them to the .dat file for the original (in my GoG folder, not in my steam one)

Are you using the Disk or a digital medium?

FFX3 works fine for me, both Windows 8 and when I upgraded to 10.

Steam's install had issues, but that was remedied with the disk.

detourne_me

I use both the Steam and GOG versions, all digital.  The game isn't the issue,  it's the FFX Control Centre Branding that doesn't work in Windows 10, in my experience.

jordinoboy

I've been thinking about it, i don't know if this helps or is perfectly normal, both times i have tried to install FFX i have got a weird error where i would get code instead of descriptions of the power, so i didn't know what any of them did, until i put in custom x, which although it breaks a mission in the campaign fixed the descriptions of the attributes, though none of the power descriptions, for example the justice special power just says "order blind justice_desc"

BentonGrey

Hmm, somethings off there.

I had trouble with the CC in Windows 8, but it's working like a charm in Windows 10.  Try running it in compatibility mode too.  That worked for me in Windows 8.
God Bless