News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spiderman/Deadpool

Started by HarryTrotter, June 29, 2016, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

Figured it deserves a topic.
#6 was incredibly self-referential,even for Deadpool.Its starts with him declaring its a fill-in issues,then has him and Spider-man directing a Deadpool movie.Yes,that one.And commenting on superhero movies in general.
Spoiler
And busting into sets of Walking dead and Jurassic World.Daredevil and Captain America showing up in their TV/movie looks(Hail Hydra included). Actually,those are actors,but ok.Wolverine and Storm noticing that its like the X-men don't exist.And finally the duo watching Nighthawk vs Hyperion: Yawn of Boredom(You wont believe their mothers have the same name).
-"Norman Osborn,the guy who knocked up your girlfriend and then killed her?"
-"Its complicated"
And that's not nearly all of it.  :)
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I wasn't sure if I was going to pick this issue up, but I did (it was a light week for new comics for me, and I'd forgotten until the last minute that it was a fill-in), and I enjoyed it. I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up the next one; I think I'm going to have a take a closer look at the preview for it before it comes out.

The one gag I thought was a bit off was the reference to a CGI monster who would be a villain for Deadpool to fight in the movie. While it's a perfectly apt reference to superhero movies in general, it's not really applicable to the Deadpool movie since Colossus isn't a villain.

In any case, I've been happy with Spider-Man/Deadpool. It's probably one of my favorite books I pick up right now, and it's definitely up there in terms of Marvel books.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I just thought the CGI monster was a general comment on the superhero movies.
Next,Duggan and another "lost issue" of the 60's.Which he did once.And Joe Kelly did way back in the first series.When Blind Al pretended to be Aunt May,remember that?
So IDK,if its a slow week...
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Well, I know Duggan did more than one "lost issue" but I don't know how many were in the 60s. I definitely read one set in the 70s "The Groovy Deadpool" And there was one where Deadpool ran afoul of Peter Parker, Flash Thompson and Iron Man, that might have been 60s? Can't remember. I do remember the Joe Kelly flashback issue as well. My favorite part was where Harry Osborn was saying stuff like "cool cat" and "ya dig" and Deadpool is just like "Are you having a stroke?"  :lol: That one gets a lot of use from me.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I was thinking about the Wakandan Vacation issue.IIRC thats the name.Where Cable leaves Deadpool stranded in 60's Wakanda,and Watcher shows up and Deadpool has to assemble some puzzle.It was confusing.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Oh yeah, I did read that one too. It was a odd one.

Anyway, the preview's out for the new one:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/spider-man-deadpool-7-marvel-comics-2016

I was very much on the fence about this one since I kinda think of it more as an extension of Duggan's run than the actual Joe Kelly series, but as long as the fill-ins throw in references and jokes about the main run, that helps sell it for me. So it's Donald Trump parody...I can dig that. But what really cracks me up is when Nixon shows up....  :lol:  I fully admit my fondness for Nixon parodies is fueled by the Futurama version.

Deadpool: Don't worry Tricky D*ck, you'll learn to love my side of the law.  :thumbup:

Apparently Mysterio's in it? That's appropriate considering he pops up in the main run. Yaknow I totally forgot the fake inventory issues by Duggan always fed into the present day stories. So yeah, definitely gonna have to pick this one up.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Next week is a bit crowded(Justice League,Red Team,Black Hammer,ROM,Hellblazer Rebirth) so I doubt Im gonna get around to #7.Or at least not right away.
Deadpool and Mercs for Money also (re)starts the same day.Im not that crazy about Bunn's Deadpool(like I said before),but the first miniseries was okay,so I might continue this.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Speaking of Mercs for Money, we got to see Negasonic Teenage Warhead on the new cover, and unsurprisingly, she looks like her movie counterpart rather than her design from the comics. I'm curious if she will be a separate character from the original, Ellie Phimister.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Looks like only Massacre is staying,and we have Gorilla Man and Domino.Im not sure who the others are.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Looks like Negasonic and Machine Man.

HarryTrotter

Yes,Machine Man,thank you.Forgot he even existed. :)
Jon Farmer

spydermann93

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on July 15, 2016, 03:55:15 PM
Yes,Machine Man,thank you.Forgot he even existed. :)

Shame. Machine Man thinks you are a most disgraceful fleshy one for forgetting his awesomeness. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

Well...his apperence in Thunderbolts was a long time ago,and he looked differently.And thats pretty much the only apperance of him I remember.
Jon Farmer

daglob

Yeah, well, I've got the Kirby version around here someplace; let's not discuss how long ago that was...

HarryTrotter

Quote from: daglob on July 16, 2016, 05:15:40 PM
Yeah, well, I've got the Kirby version around here someplace; let's not discuss how long ago that was...

From 2001: Space Odyssey right?Marvel had a weird relation to their licensed comics.  :)
Jon Farmer

kkhohoho

Quote from: Spade on July 16, 2016, 03:42:14 PM
Well...his apperence in Thunderbolts was a long time ago,and he looked differently.And thats pretty much the only apperance of him I remember.

So... you've never read Nextwave, is what you're telling me?
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Talavar

Quote from: kkhohoho on July 16, 2016, 07:19:59 PM
Quote from: Spade on July 16, 2016, 03:42:14 PM

So... you've never read Nextwave, is what you're telling me?

Ah, Nextwave was the best.

HarryTrotter

Yeah,kinda missed Nextwave.No real reason,I just wasnt reading it at the time.And later I never got around to reading it.Stuff happens.
Jon Farmer

Deaths Jester

Why is Ken Hale part of this group? He's a card carrying member of Atlas and doesn't need to merc to make money...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Silver Shocker

I've never read Nextwave either.

Didn't get down to the comic book store this week (except for Ant-Man, but that was because my main comic book store didn't get it, so I went to a different one to get while my main store reserved the other books for me). I'm either going to go Friday evening (since the shop's open longer that day) or next week. So it'll be a bit before I can read SM/DP and give my thoughts.
~Rocky Balboa

Talavar

Nextwave related hijacking: I was reading an article online yesterday, and apparently Nextwave is actually canon now?  Monica Rambeau went back to her Nextwave clothes after alluding to the events of the series, apparently, and The Captain showed up in Nova!  That's awesome, after years of dancing around the issue.

HarryTrotter

Deadpool and mercs #1 introduces movie-like NTW for the first time.It is Ellie.I thought she already existed(and died),but that was at least 5-6 reboots ago anyway.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Im guessing Patient Zero could be related to Clone Conspiracy?Spidercide?(Peter Parker was the Patient Zero in Marvel Universe vs The Punisher,might be something there)
Speaking of which: "Jackal has beaten death"?No way,in Marvel universe?Good for him.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Weird about Negasonic. I'm meaning to look that up at some point.

Re: Patient Zero. Not sure. To quote Quint from Resident Evil: Revelations: "I don't wanna rush to conclusions. I need more intel".

Just noticed I've yet to comment on latest issue, despite reading it last week. It was fun. A bit of a letdown I think; I might have liked the previous issue better. Nixon was still the highlight in my opinion. Though the shots at Trump near the end were glorious.

[EDIT] Though one thing I found odd is that the issue claimed to be the first meeting of Spidey and DP, yet when Spidey met him, he still, like other appearances such as Cable and Deadpool and Way's Deadpool, had already heard of him and had made up his mind that he didn't like him. So if the comic didn't start out by saying it was their first meeting you could ignored that status entirely. I will say one thing I consistently enjoy about Duggan's flashback issues is that DP's fourth-wall breaking extends to marvel events that haden't happened yet, and the other characters act just as confused as when he breaks the fourth wall in general.

I also liked the way the artist emulated the 60's look and had DP look like he might have if he first appeared in the 60's. The Tommy Gun was a nice touch though I thought that was more 40s-50s.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Next issue is a return to the regular story.  :)
Btw,I just saw that Spiderman/Deadpool #1 will be going into 7th printing.I think they beat Marvels Star Wars there.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I saw that every issue except #8 is getting a new printing next week along with the release of #8.

I looked up Negasonic on the Marvel Wiki. She has different hair in Mercs for Money. Wasn't expecting that.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I gotta say #7 made B.L.A.I.R 1 look deep and nuanced. :rolleyes:
It only interesting if you make fun of both sides,otherwise it comes off a bit arse-kissing.Then again,they didnt have e-mail in the 60's,so that would be hard to work in.

Im not entirely sure what went down in #8.Patient Zero got even more mysterious.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Had to look up what B.L.A.I.R. 1 was. A 2000 AD satire of Tony Blair?

You're not wrong. Even Stephen Colbert makes fun of Hilary and Bernie.

I enjoyed 8, but after the hype-filled solicit, I gotta say, I'm kinda let down. I'm going to assume the solicit was talking about the whole arc and not just this issue?

Spoiler
"Finally, Spider-Man and Deadpool are face to face with the person who has caused all the events of this series! WHO IS PATIENT ZERO?!

EVERY issue of this book has sold out and come back with second printings (and #1 is on its FIFTH), so don't sleep on this one, TRUE BELIEVERS!!! Talk to your retailer so you aren't spoiled while you wait for a second print!"

Not only did we not find out who Tobi Patient Zero is (though they teased it so much It had me frustratingly eager to find out every time this weirdo was onscreen) but I'm not even sure what it is we were supposed to avoid getting spoiled. The big final splash page reveal waaaas.... NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! Apparently it's 6 months ago and I'm watching the S3 mid-season finale of S.H.I.E.L.D. again.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about Spidey and DP's characterization here. Spidey's rocking a new costume for apparently no other reason then to sell a new skin in Marvel Heroes and so Podmark has another skin to work on. While we get the whole is-he-a-nice-guy-or-what bit with Deadpool that feels like it's trying to have its cake and eat it too.

I'll say this though: the art was great. McGuiness' action scenes were dynamic and exciting (though his storytelling is....debatable) but I was especially amused by the apparent manga/anime influence on the "Man-Strosities" designs (love that name). One looks like a Hollow from Bleach, while another is apparently the 0-Tails from Naruto Shippuden. Then again, Patient Zero is apparently Tobi....

[edit] So, if I'd seen the September solicits already, I've have known that the new female villain is called (I kid you not) Itsy-Bitsy. And people complained about "Kid Arachnid." They really are scraping the bottom of the barrel for character names these days, haven't they? The idea for the character's kinda clever though, in a meta sort of way (which is appropriate for a Deadpool book).

Also I see the solicit text includes the spoiler warning for more than one  issue, so I guess I was right and it's more about this arc than any one issue. Ok then.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Yeah,they went for M.A.C.H 1 but with Blair.Its pretty much considered the worst strip that ever ran in 2000ad.Or second worst,depending who you ask(Space Girls are the other one,in case you are wondering).In their defense,they ussualy do a bit better with that sort of thing.For example,Judge Dredd,and even most stuff that ran in Crisis.Thou Crisis was a mixed bag itself and too long of a story.
Anyway,I know we were meant to think we saw this guy before,but its a bit hard to work in somebody with a grudge against Deadpool and Spiderman,Or I just cant remember anyone.So I would guess its somebody compleatly new.
I noticed the Hollow too.Tobi,heh...
Jon Farmer