News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spiderman/Deadpool

Started by HarryTrotter, June 29, 2016, 02:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

To paraphrase Holtz from Angel, I think you'll find your 2000 AD references are completely lost on me. I quite liked that Karl Urban Dredd movie though.

Yeah, Zero really has me intrigued. I wanna know if anyone online has any idea who this dude is supposed to be. My knowledge of Deadpool and Spider-Man is as extensive as the next guy (though I'm not quite as versed in the Duggan run, to be fair), and I've no front-flipping clue who this guy is. I'm not entirely convinced he's an established character, but that would be the biggest copout since the decoy Green Goblin from the 90's. (look it up, it was really stupid. It was the like the Hobgoblin reveal, only more botched).

So funny story, I actually read all of Zero's dialogue with the voice of the mad scientist from the new Doom video game (who voice has an uncanny similarity to Lance Henrickson) without even realizing it, until I realized halfway through the book that he's basically Tobi and switched to the "Madara Uchiha" voice from the English dub of Naruto, and in both cases it totally worked, despite the sometimes flippant dialogue in the comic. The fact that Zero and Tobi are basically huge trolls regarding their true identity helps.

[Edit 1] Also, if there's one thing I've learned posting on FR recently, it's I make a LOT of typos.

[Edit 2] My joke answer would be Flash Thompson or Tony Stark based on Duggan's flashback issues, but I don't think anyone seriously thinks that. If this book was written by Duggan, it absolutely would be someone from the Spider-Man/Deadpool flashback issues. I don't think that's the case though. Other than the recap page, Kelly seems to be firmly treating the last two issues as "The Filler Saga" (heh, another Shonen Anime parallel)

Also going to take the opportunity to once again say I don't get what everyone else likes about Anna Maria Macaroni. Apparently I'm Moviebob and she's the Fox version of Quicksilver (whom I'm a huge fan of), but I don't find anything likable or interesting about this character regardless of whether it's Slott or Kelly writing her. All she does is lob casual putdowns in Peter's direction like a fair-weather friend (because we need more reminders that Peter's a loser right? LOL) and I'm supposed to regard her as both a worthy love interest and the second coming of Tyrion Lannister? Cool story bro.

I'm also iffy on the current characterization of Spidey in this book. I know there's a perfectly reasonable justification for him to be more angry/angsty than usual and it's kinda reminiscent of Black Suit Spidey, but he flits back and forth between typical Parker dorkiness, dark humor that seems to be trying to keep pace with Wade, and "The Spider" (another thing from 90s Spidey people hated). It's so tone deaf and inconsistent it almost makes me suspect Dan Slott was ghost writing this one (nope, can't be that. no Doc Ock in sight. That was issue #5)

If it sounds like I'm being more negative on the issue than I should be, it's because I am. Like I've said before, I think this might actually be my favorite Marvel book right now, and we had to wait 2 issues for more of the actual story, so I think I'm harsh on it as a result. Like I said, it was fun, the monster designs were cool, the story is intriguing and the art is great. It's just the writing is kinda a mixed bag. It's the Age of Ultron of comics (the movie, not the comic. The comic was typical Bendis meh)
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Suggested for Mature Readers blog has covered most of the things I mentioned here,so I suggest checking that out,if you get the time.They do a great job at examining the British comic scene thru the ages.At least check out their article on Zenith.
Anyhow,I should really stop derailing everything.
I checked Marvel wiki and #1 had 7 printings at this point,just like Star Wars #1.
I guess the failed clone theory doesnt hold up anymore.
Speaking of that,there is some theory that Clone Conspiracy will kill Peter and replace him with RYV/Peter.Mostly because of the RYV ongoing announced.Doubt that the editorial would let that happen.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Spade on August 11, 2016, 10:35:42 AM
Suggested for Mature Readers blog has covered most of the things I mentioned here,so I suggest checking that out,if you get the time.They do a great job at examining the British comic scene thru the ages.At least check out their article on Zenith.
Anyhow,I should really stop derailing everything.
I checked Marvel wiki and #1 had 7 printings at this point,just like Star Wars #1.
I guess the failed clone theory doesnt hold up anymore.
Speaking of that,there is some theory that Clone Conspiracy will kill Peter and replace him with RYV/Peter.Mostly because of the RYV ongoing announced.Doubt that the editorial would let that happen.

LOL. I think the derailing train left the station a LOOOONG time ago. In any case, I edited my post over nine thousand times, so check again if you want for more rambling.

I really like V for Vendetta, though I know that was published in Warrior, not 2000AD. I have the trade of it, but unfortunately I never finished it. Should rectify that in the future. I'd heard many times the comic is better than the movie, and I LOVED the movie. Should watch it again sometime. I've been playing Little Big Planet lately and it's gotten me in a Stephen Fry mood. (and yes, I know I'm derailing again)

Re: Clone Conspiracy. Quite possibly. Even Slott haters seemed to like that version of Peter and MJ (still need to read myself) On the one hand, I think that would constitute the biggest instance of one of the Big Two ripping the other off in the history of comics, but on the other hand, editorial apparently ok'd the last two issues of Kelly Spider-Man/DP so at this point I'm not sure what to believe. At this point I'm half expecting Marvel to announce their next big crossover will be called "Death of the Inhumans" and will be largely focused on the X-Men AND the Fantastic Four and will relaunch a new FF series.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I already mentioned a bunch of good stuff in 2000AD so if anyone is interested,there is that.If anyone gets tired of its american cousins.Or something.
They brought back Warlock,I guess everything is possible.I wouldnt bet they will replace regular Peter,but I think its pretty likely that RYV family could make the jump to regular MU.Because you can have your cake and eat it too.And what the heck,if you can have 2 Spiderman,third one doesnt make much difference.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So reading the Spider-Man/Deadpool #8 review on the Crawlspace website, they compared the designs for the Man-Strosities to Spirited Away and the works of Guilermo Del Toro. Yeah, I can see that. I knew the one that looked like the 0-Tails looked like other creature designs from anime but I couldn't remember what (I was tempted to say Evangelion, but I don't think that's accurate) but Hayao Miyazaki films could definitely fit (though I've not watched them myself) I was also thinking of survival horror games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Dead Space.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Another not-so-related thing,and about political satire.Funny thing,but this made me dust off some old issues of Crisis and they have not aged well.Not well at all.New Statesman by John Smith is pretty much the only thing that holds up.It think it speaks volumes that Garth Ennis and Mark Millar got their start in Crisis.
And if anyone thinks Millar is bad now,they should have seen it when he was just starting.

To get back to the topic;It would be interesting if T-Ray showed up.I know hes arc is kinda done,but its a comic,they can bring him back.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Maybe, it is Joe Kelly after all. To be honest I kinda don't want Kelly to drudge that up again after the pissing match Fabian made of things in his Cable & Deadpool run (one cat said Wade Wilson took the name from a dead man, another objected to it and said it wasn't true, and the rest is history). Oddly enough, if I recall T-Ray popped up again in Way's run and I don't think that made a big deal of it. I've already forgotten, that's how meh it all was.

On the topic of Millar, actually I've heard people say his Superman Adventures (all-ages Superman based on the Bruce Timm animated series) was quite good.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

I could name a lot of good stuff by Millar;like MK Spiderman,Swamp Thing,Red Son etc.But his work for UK publishers(namely 2000AD and its spinoffs) pretty much sucked to high heaven.Babe race 2000,the name says it all.Or Insiders,more or less a trial run for Wanted.Those are honestly just minor examples,I dont even want to touch Red Razors,or Big Dave.Even Millar admits he wrote some of the worst 2000AD stories ever(nobody argues with that).He ussualy had good artists like Steve Yeowl or Chris Weston working with him to even things out a bit.Tradition which kinda carries over to this day.Far from it that art saves things in this case.

I think I read somewhere that the newest Handbook of Marvel universe lists Deadpools name as Jack;so I guess T-ray was right?
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

Back on the topic of Patient Zeros identity,that was some epic trolling.
I am...
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Spoiler
I doubt he's really dead. That whole encounter felt staged.

That being said, it's interesting that he specified Deadpool and Peter Parker, rather than Spider-man.

Personally, I'm nursing a suspicion that it's been Mysterio the whole time, either as a long game, or that he's from the future, sometime after deadpool ran him over.

HarryTrotter

He already made a deal with Mephisto once,and it was referenced in this series IIRC.I guess its possible.But Im still guessing its somebody completly new.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Epic Trolling indeed. Honestly wasn't expecting that, probably should have. Well played, Mr. Kelly.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Now its 2 filler issues.One of them being a tie in to Monsters Unleashed.
Btw,the Previews advetise Clone Conspiracy as the darkest Spiderman story ever.It remains to be seen why,I guess.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

So Deadpool is doing a crossover between Deadpool, Deadpool & The Mercs for Money, and Spider-Man/Deadpool which will be some kind of monster-filled feud between Deadpool and his wife. Yay, more crossovers. I guess I'll be picking that up.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Btw,I noticed something hilarious while rereading the whole thing;Deadpools Free-Pass list is:
-Hillary Clinton;if prez(wont happen)  :lol:
-Thor,if hes ever a girl
-Hellcat,if we are in hell
-Zombea Arthur
-Spid....n
Spiderman: Thats a very specific list.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Spider-Man/Deadpool #12:

The bad news: It's yet another fill-in issue. The good news? I give it the SS seal of approval.  :thumbup: I haven't heard of the two writers on this but I was very impressed. The jokes hit, there were referances a plenty and between the writers and the artists someone was filling this thing with cameos and I really enjoyed it for that. The Christmas party sequence was full of cute gags (my favourite was the Captain Marvel one) and it gave Todd Nauck the opportunity to draw all these characters in their current costumes (which I'm not sure he's ever gotten to do in a comic before). Then you have the villain bar full of surprisingly specific villain cameos. I didn't really care for the main plot (a evil rampaging Saturn trying to literally ruin Christmas) but the actual issue was a lot better than the story premise alone. There are almost too many winning jokes to list:

Spoiler
-Deadpool considers infamouse filmaker Uwe Boll a misunderstood genius. Somehow that doesn't surprise me.
-Deadpool's joke about "19th Century Ghost Rider", racially charged as it was.
-Here's What Deadpool has to say about people who find his sense of humor offensive: "Inappropriate Jokes are literally my thing. Everyody loves me for it. It's why I break box office records."
-Deadpool being indifferent to SantaCon drunks being killed. Based on what I've heard about SantaCon, that sounds about right.
-A jab at Zack Snyder  :thumbup:
-Deadpool: "Wow Old Man Christmas is harder to kill than Old Man Logan!"
-Deadpool claims to have played with Barbies as a kid and made them do naughty things with each other. That doesn't surprise me.
-For once Siri was actually helpful.
-Legit Ghostbusters referance. Though Spidey seems less familiar with it than he did in Bendis' run. He didn't get the reference to Venkmin's "sailor" joke, so apparently he watched the edited-for-tv version as a kid like I did? Of course Deadpool gives us this gem: "I can't wait to see the internet backlash when they remake this issue with the A-Force."
-This joke is followed up with Deadpool saying he has "internet outrage senses" when Spidey mentions religion in regards to Christmas.
-Deadpool gets Spidey high and/or drunk on his dubious energy drink.
-Spidey makes a Game of Thrones referance by mentioning Khaleesi. Somehow I would have thought Deadpool more likely to make that referance. You know he'd watch it for the "plot".
-A running gag with Steve Rogers being an old fogey. But how does that mesh with Hydra Cap?

Then we get to the villain bar, featuring cameos by Rhino (does that fit with Clone Conspiracy?), several members of the cast of Superior Foes of Spider-Man (including the robot head of Silvermane, who IS directly mentioned in the dialogue) Anna Kravin (?), the Enforcers, (including Montana, who apparently is alive again, having died way back in Dan Slott's "Big Time" arc of Amazing) and Typeface (having apparently come back to live after dying during Civil War). I wonder if that canonically counts as those characters being alive again?

So yeah, I was impressed by this creative team. I would buy another fill-in by them if they did more. I'm not planning to pick up the Monsters Unleashed issue though, so I might have to look at a preview for that one if I remember to this time.
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

An okay filler,but a bit random.
Kind of a dick move that they didnt invite Spidey to the Xmas party,considering EVERYONE else is there.
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

We are back to the story with #13,a lot of stuff happens.Thing and Hulk cameo.It would be cool if Thing made a guest appearance in one or two issues,but Bendis has him these days,so I doubt that's gonna happen any time soon.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

That issue was frustrating for me. After the long wait for long of the actual story we got....that arc from Christos Gage's X-Men Legacy where Rogue plays Sword of the Atom for a few issues. I am disappoint. Yeah,  Spidey and Deadpool talked about the main storyline, but it didn't feel to me like much actually happened. I also found the humor was mostly misses, though Spidey's ability to build a small portable explosive out of basically nothing makes me think he should go into business selling the purest meth in the drug trade.
~Rocky Balboa

daglob

Maybe he's a MacGyver fan...

Although, that's sort of like Hawkeye: give him two sticks and a piece of string and WATCH OUT!

HarryTrotter

The Monsters Unleashed tie in was pretty boring.
Spoiler
The opening act with some girls trying to summon Deadpools soulmate and getting Spidey is funny,but after that some monster destroys Toronto and old jokes are recycled.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

Yeah, I'm planning to go pick up my books tonight and I'm skipping that one. I read a preview of it and the Avengers MU tie-in and I wasn't impressed. Plus I've bought enough filler issues of this book, and I wasn't interested in MU anyway (which is getting an ongoing spinning out of it, by the way)
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Doesnt seem to me anyone is interested in MU.I think people expected something along the lines of Remender Punisher/Frankencastle but then Marvel decided to use some generic monsters they just came up with.Yeah,trust these guys to make Kaiju boring.
Dont think I mentioned it,but the collections skip the fillers.Volume 1 has #1-5 and 8.There is also Volume 0 with their previous team-ups,mostly from Deadpool's first and second series and Cable and Deadpool.So hardly anything new.
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

The May solicitations for Spider-Deadpool (which, thank goodness, isn't a fill-in) mention that Patient Zero is causing trouble. Which means Tomato might actually be right and Kelly's not done with him yet. Mind you, we don't know how he'll be back (I'm betting clone, or something else  that doesn't preclude him from actually having died).
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Between this and Clone Conspiracy,looks like I really suck at guessing the obvious.
Anyhow,Patient Zero is
Spoiler
WEASEL.Which makes sense when I remember the flashback issue with him and Peter in college.
And the story continues in #17.This agaain.  :huh:
Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

#18 Kellys run is over but there are thread left,and seeing that the next arc is
Spoiler
No More Jokes,Im guessing somethings will be answered.Itsy-Bitsy survived.And Mephisto was behind everything?
Jon Farmer

Silver Shocker

I'm gonna miss that fun little book.
Gotta love that joke by DP about the book missing deadlines. Even Deadpool can't keep the continuity straight!

I never really bought Spidey's character arc this whole time, and I can't blame any fan or critic for crying foul, but honestly? For me there was enough good in the book for me to be magnanimous, and compared to Slott's inept "because I say so" fanfic it's a slice of fried gold.
I still stand by my earlier comment that Kelly absolutely deserves to graduate to the main Spidey book. He was one of if not the best Brand New Day writer IMO and he showed a potential for Spidey that I would really like to see bear fruit in an extended run.

So I'm brandishing the hashtag. #JoeKellyOnSpider-Man.
~Rocky Balboa